Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoia or Just Being Cautious?

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  91 whiskey 
#1 ·
I say I am just cautious...

Back in August I sold my Marlin 30-30 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo to a local guy. I scanned his carry permit, drivers license and signed receipts into my computer. I had everything recorded in order to be legal. However, he did not have a current drivers license with a current picture on it. He said he would get the license changed as soon as he got a break in his work schedule. That was August.

I contacted him end of September or thereabouts and asked again for the updated ID. He said his Granddad died and he had to deal with that. I gave him until end of October and emailed him. He said he would get it asap. I did not hear from him at all so I emailed him and told him I would have to try to track him down by reporting him to the Sheriff. Only reply was that it shouldn't be a big deal because I had all his addresses. I emailed him and said I did not have a current drivers license for him and that was terms of the sale. (Actually I should not have bent and sold it to him but he said he would comply soon...he never did.)

Then yesterday, the 20th of November '15, I took my paperwork to the Sheriff's office and made a report. The deputy asked why I was worried. He said I had complied with my end of the deal and got his addresses. I pointed out an obituary that I just read within the last 2 days...about his Dad dying from complications due to injuries sustained in a severe beating (assault) the dad took 6 years ago.

The deputy said yes but the guy I sold the gun to had his carry permit almost 5 years. He was solid. I told the deputy that this guy got his carry permit some time after his dad was assaulted. He got the rifle a couple months (3) before his dad died. Possibly his Dad was deteriorating in health, as the obit suggested. The deputy said, "so?" what of it? I told him someone once told me revenge is best served cold. He took my report and said if I heard anything more let him know.

I guess I made sense. He said he would run a background check. He would also make sure that one of the 3 addresses the guy gave me was correct and get back with me. I was afraid of a straw purchase. He had his brother with him. My paranoia partner who follows me everywhere told me to suspect everyone so I do when something comes up that trips a trigger. I think I did the right thing. I did not ask for an arrest and I did not sign anything official. I just gave the authorities my info. The deputy said he would tag his report with all names in the obituary.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think you are way past paranoid. You got everything you needed for a legal sale.

Now you have nagged the guy for months and even suggested he beat up his father to the police with absolutely no proof except a "feeling". The cop probably told you what you wanted to know so you would leave.

You are working yourself up to nervous wreck and that is not healthy for you.

You did what you were supposed to do, move on.

Don

#7 ·
You did everything you legally should in the sale. Since Iowa's Permit to Carry Weapons has his photo on it, and you have his address and phone # you've done your part to meet the law's requirement good to. Yes it would have been nice if he sent you a copy of his drivers license but as the deputy sheriff indicated, it's not needed. As for you going to the sheriff's office to report this along with your speculations....mmmmm Well you asked this forum advice, "Paranoia or Just Being Cautious?" And I say this as a good friend here.. I don't think your being cautions.

#9 ·
Problem is, I do not know what his address really is. He moved from the address on his drivers license and gave me the address I put on the receipt. WITH a promise to update the drivers license info when he changed his license over to the new address.

I figured it is not my responsibility to track him down, in fact it is probably illegal. SO I just shoveled the pile over to the authorities. One of the others who responded said i was "beating up his dad to the guy"...or something to that effect. Don't know what he means...but the dad died from injuries from an assault, and that could and did bring up the revenge aspect.

Like I said, I did my duty, even though some may not like me getting involved like this but they can suck eggs. Just hope they don't try to but any guns from me because I am not overly cautious I am also a practiced paranoid. And it works for me.

#12 ·
I'd say you were covered as soon as you got a copy of his carry permit. You know, the same permit that allows you to bypass the background checks for firearms when you buy from a LGS? The rest is just paranoia. you're not covering your backside by constantly harassing the buyer. You're just harassing the buyer. I fear that if you keep it up he may file charges against you for harassment, which could cost you all of your firearms.

#18 ·
Paranoid personality disorder (PPD) is one of a group of conditions called "Cluster A" personality disorders which involve odd or eccentric ways of thinking. People with PPD also suffer from paranoia, an unrelenting mistrust and suspicion of others, even when there is no reason to be suspicious.
Mental Health: Paranoid Personality Disorder
wow a lawn chair psychologist. You dont even know me. Keep yopur medical opinions to yourself you quack

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.