Like Tree43Likes

Thread: how many rounds

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    20476 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I have never read of a private citizen needing to reload, regardless of capacity. In fact, "I draw they run" is much more common than "my fourth shot went wild to the left, because I was moving to cover." Now, thinking all you need to do is draw is dangerous. If you aren't willing to pull the trigger when necessary, carry mace. But I agree that most of us are just fine with the capacity of any common carry gun. This is why I often go out with just a TCP or 740, and no spare mag.
    Yep, I'm fine going out with my PT709 with the 8th round in the chamber in double action mode and the safety on. Of course, I live in small town America and the chances of mob violence is basically zero. I do keep one spare magazine loaded with self defense jhp rounds in the truck console. I only own three magazines and might have my two spares along when I do to the city for anything. I also currently have about 300 rounds of fmj range ammunition in the console but I don't count that.
    Last edited by CWB; 09-23-2015 at 08:58 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3242 times
    The bottom line is that we each have our own opinion of what constitutes a optimum number of rounds we feel safe carrying. Nobody is wrong.. If carrying a 18round mag and 4 spare bandoleers under your shirt makes you feel safe, go for it.
    I have CC everything between a 5 shot 38 snub to a 12 round 9mm. Each time I have felt well armed. Once I CC a twin shot .22 derringer (a gift) which I feel was inadequate so I had a 357 at my waist.
    DocHolliday1950 likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    thing is, if you go about town with a backpack full of 30 round magazines, and an ar pistol too. do you wear the tin foil hat to look cool, or to keep the voices out?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

CWB
    Member #
    Liked
    20476 times
    I changed my mind and think I'll start using this instead of my 709. Think it will keep me safe? Do I need another magazine?

Name:  Tripple mini gun.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  38.3 KB
    DocHolliday1950 likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    15863 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday1950 View Post
    So my question is. Have we been brain washed into carrying weapons that have mags that have 10-15-20+ rounds and why?
    In short, yes. The evidence suggests that after very few rounds are fired somebody is dead, down, or run off. Most people give far more thought and consideration to weapon choice and capacity than they do to training and marksmanship. I came to the conclusion decades ago that you are best served by that which you are most comfortable and familiar with. I have so much trigger time with revolvers that it's best for me to use those, as under a stressful situation I am most likely not going to run into any issues fumbling the weapon. Even if I do have to reload.

At this point in my life I don't have enough years left to gain equivalent experience with autos. It may not be sexy to show up with a 2" or 4" .38 but I am totally confident in my ability to shoot it faster and more accurately than anything else. Especially if there is some distance involved. I was a .357 fan for a while but the reduced recoil and flash of the .38 helps me be a bit faster and a bit more accurate. I'll choose that over the increased power.

I don't really buy the "riot" reasoning. There's enough youtube videos of "shot's fired" to come to the conclusion that when the shooting starts 95% will run, the other 5% will stand there like a deer in the headlights. But I will grant you that in the unlikely event this happens and you have a revolver, you'll be wanting a reload.

It comes down to threat assessment. When I lived in Houston I carried, as I perceived the threat was real. Not just from the "shot and stabbed" report on the nightly news but from actual events that took place in my neighborhood. I was required to walk the dogs in the evenings.

Now that I live in a small town in Illinois the threat level has dropped about 80%. People often don't consider the fact that there's also a risk to carrying a gun. Of course we tell ourselves it would never happen to us, but there's little evidence to support that conclusion. To me, right now, carrying a gun is more potential trouble than it's worth in my extremely well policed little town. There's some crime here of course, but it's mostly low level property crimes and some drugs, but random person-on-person violent crime is virtually non-existent. Across the river "in the city" it's a bit different in certain areas, but I rarely go there (if ever).

If you really think you might get caught in a riot, try to figure out where you're going to keep your AR or shotgun. I don't think we are intentionally being mislead, but the civilian market tends to follow the military, so once they went to a high-capacity 9mm that became mainstream. Oddly enough, the first large police force to go to general issue on semi-autos was the Illinois State Police. They issued the single stack S&W Model 39 in 1967. The high capacity version, the Model 59, came along 4 or 5 years later and was originally designed for the Navy. The police started gravitating that way. There were some well publicized incidents of multiple adversaries that were used to justify going to high capacity magazines. The Browning Hi Power had been around for sometime of course, but again originally a military weapon.

The military and police buy a lot of guns and tend to drive trends. The military decisions will influence the police decisions, and the civilian market will follow both. I really don't think it's a conspiracy to sell more necessarily. Just the natural evolution of weapons.

Really, the choices made by military and police should not be relevant to civilians.
    Last edited by glenwolde; 09-24-2015 at 05:18 AM.
    Definition of clip
    : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    2403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader64 View Post
    The percentage of those with no gun to defend themselves becoming a victim- 100%
    According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, in 2014, 1.1% of persons age 12 and over in the US were the victim of a violent crime. Id be willing to bet that if gang on gang violence was not included, this percentage would be about .5%.
    Gun control is like making it harder for sober people to own cars.
    ~Unknown

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.
    ~Charles A. Beard

Member #
    Liked
    16560 times
    I guess I ask myself which thought would I rather have running through my mind if I must use a weapon in defense.
    A) wish I had 2 more rounds of ammo.
    B) man am I glad I had a 14 round magazine.
    reloader64 and FreeInAZ like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4821 times
    I carry what ever landed on my hip for the day, be it a M605 or the PT111G2...................
    I don't worry about round count as much as I worry about making sure the rounds count!
    If a gun is drawn, I have a feeling that the situation is gonna end quickly, with BG's running...........
    Know guns, know peace, know safety.
    No guns, no peace, no safety.

Member #
    Liked
    20852 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loudviking View Post
    I don't worry about round count as much as I worry about making sure the rounds count!
    I can't remember if I've heard that before, but I'm going to default to "no" and therefore feel compelled to say "very well said!"
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

CWB
    Member #
    Liked
    20476 times
    Interesting statistics on what it takes to stop an attack. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Active Response Training

Just a short sample of what's there:

Out of 456 people shot with a 9mm

Average number of rounds to incapacitate an attacker; 2.45
    34% (155) were "one shot stops"
    Percent of attackers incapacitated by one shot; 47% (214)
    Percent of attackers NOT incapacitated; 13% (59)
    Fatal hits; 24% (109)

What I found amazing is that the .22 (Short, Long, or Long Rifle) had a higher percent of attacker being incapacitated by one shot and higher percent of fatalities than the 9mm.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links