Taurus Firearm Forum banner

the best taurus ever made...EVER

5K views 54 replies 48 participants last post by  dcc 
#1 ·
Taurus has made a lot of great guns. Some models are standouts to folks for various reasons. Pick a taurus firearm and tell us all why you think that particular model or variation of the model is the best.

I love my pt99af.
I loved my 66.
I refuse to part with my m44. And that's my pick for the best of the best. It slings 200 and 240 gr projectiles downrange suprisingly accurately, but as big and powerful as the 44 mag is the gun soaks up the recoil. It is jug choked and ported inside the jug which I believe is the big recoil reduction. So far I have not used it on deer, but I have no doubt that inside 75 yards it is dropping them. I typically hunt with it on my side for closer shots and have not yet had the opportunity to try it. With the size, weight, barrel length (6")etc it balances really well and carries well. It's heavy enough to know that it's there, but not so heavy for it to be a burden. It is quick and easy from holster to target, and whatever target I put it on is sure to fall.

#32 ·
Best Taurus handgun.. without a doubt, the M66. They didn't just copy the S&W, they perfected it. I personally dont think there's been a finer modern revolver made. For the pistols, Though the 92fs is a fine firearm, It's too big for my hands. had the same issue in the AF when qualifying with the M9. The 1911 has it for me with the semi's as it's everything you want with a 1911 at a modicum of the cost associated with those bells and whistles.

Reactions: muddcatt54
#35 ·
The only Taurus I own is my PT709, and I love it. It isn't a range gun but it's perfect for what I bought it for...easy concealment and short range self defense. With the Clip Draw, I can hide it under a moderately loose T shirt and it offers an adequate amount of firepower. I have the PT92afs on order and have the feeling that I'll love it as a range and truck gun, and in the night stand.

Reactions: muddcatt54
#39 ·
#40 ·
I started out with a two inch barrel Taurus revolver I don't remember much about it it set in the night stand for fifteen years I traded it in on my PT 840 which was a wild hair and got me started with pistols my next purchase was going to be a PT 809 but at the last minute I went with the PT 92 and am glad I did I've only had it out one time and fell in love with it. So as bad as it hurts because I really like the 840 I'll have to go with the 92 because I can only see things getting better.

Reactions: Raystown
#46 ·
the best taurus ever made...EVER
Not having owned a real wide range of Tauruses (and Taurus having such a wide range) it's hard to say, but the PT1911 has been extraordinary for me. The model 82 is a brand new gun for me, but given my experience so far, I'd say it could end up being just as good. Of course, the PT111 g2 is going to show up on this list a lot, too.

#47 ·
99/92, no doubt about it.

#48 ·
You feeling okay? :huh: I'm thinking you may get kicked out of the Model 85 Club. :icon_ poke::D

Reactions: olfarhors
#49 ·
I love my 24/7 no pro, no ds just 24/7! Was looking at my record book, and am 183 rounds short of 15,000 rounds through it. It has been dropped in the sand and washed out and shot. It has had on occasion,800 rounds through it in a day. (cadet training) end of the barrel is a bit elongated. Replaced a couple of springs and a sight screw. It is subject to the recoil so will get it up to 15K and send it in.
Also love my CT-9 just a fun gun!

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
#53 ·
I can't pick one, as I have several I like equally well and have been completely reliable. I look at the variety I have and liken them to important tools in a complete tool box.

If I had to pick just one, it would be the M85 I have had since 1983 which sees regular duty as my wife's car gun and it can be more easily concealed than the rest.
If I were awakened to a new dawn and CHAOS in the streets, I would buckle on a 1911 on my left side and the 4" M66 on my right side.
For things that go bump in the night, it is a PT145 on my bookcase headboard. I am also fond of my PT111 G-2 (actually now my son's, but I am going to buy another.)

*Note: It is easier for me to name Tauri that are not my favorites and that I do not own.

#54 ·
The 85 without a doubt. It's basically what they started making and they've been making them for a long time, they're still making them, and they're still selling the snot out of them. Whether willing to admit it or not, I know more people that have owned an 85 than have not. They come in a ton of different finishes over several variations and in several different configurations. They're simple, cheap, reliable, and tough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.