Taurus Firearm Forum banner

25 cal saves life in bear attack

1K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  mp3mogul 
#1 ·
#8 ·
What a man....Not:eek:

#9 ·
Outdoor Life, many years ago, carried a story about a trapper taking a load of furs down-river at the end of the season. He was attacked by a large bear (don't remember what species), and was armed with a .22 rim-fire revolver. He was faced with letting the raft go, losing his entire season's pelts, or defending himself anf them. He stuck the gun in the bears mouth, and emptied it. Killed the bear when the rounds penetrated the pallet, and entered the animals brain.

He survived, although injured. So, does that make a .22 rim-fire a suitable bear defense, then? ;)

#13 ·
This reminds me of something that happened to me about 25 years ago. I work for a railroad and we were changing rail through an area of a city in New Jersey that's known for drug sales. During the day one of the workers noticed several guys selling drugs to cars as they'd pull up and he saw where they were stashing the drugs for sale. He grabbed the drugs and handed them over to police. Well that was just like kickin' a beehive and all of a sudden the areas activity jumped up several levels. At the end of the day a few of us stay behind to inspect everything and watch the first train pass through to ensure it's safe. While waiting for that first train, my boss and I were at a signal near where the drugs were taken. My boss sees a bunch of guys standing there and looking our way and asks me what I'm going to do if they come after us. I told him I planned to run. He smiles and says you ain't gonna out run them. I smiled back at him and said I don't have to out run them. He didn't smile anymore.

Reactions: mwj999
#14 ·
I've thought that would make a great CSI side episode.

Hikers attacked in Nevada by large carnivorous animal of choice. Scrambling up hillside, group gets to safety, but with one fatality, and one slightly injured.

Autopsy reveals damage consistent with animal attack, except for evidence of Achilles tendon severed too cleanly for an animal, apparently from a serrated blade . . .

#16 ·
One of my Dad's customers ran into a black bear on his car port toting a little Colt Vest Pocket late one night.

He lived out on the country near Pine Mountain, GA. Something was getting into his trash cans and he thought it was a raccoon. Late one night, he heard something rummaging through his trash cans (this was the '70's, so trash cans were galvanized steel). He grabbed the little .25 he'd just bought and a flashlight and charged out onto the carport- only to find that he was face to face with a black bear instead of a ****.

That's when he got a case of the stupids and opened fire as he ran back inside. He didn't hit the bear- a good thing because it would have just pissed it off- but his sudden appearance and the noise of the .25 going off under a carport was enough to send the bear out of there at a high rate of speed and it didn't come back.

After that night, he went outside carrying a 12 gauge if he heard something on the car port.

Reactions: dbsoundguy
#17 ·
One of my Dad's customers ran into a black bear on his car port toting a little Colt Vest Pocket late one night.

Did the Bear have a conceal carry permit?
I don't think that a Bear can legally carry without a permit here in Georgia?
Something about the fur concealing the gun.------------------:D

#20 ·
A oldie but a goody....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.