Taurus Firearm Forum banner

380 penetration vs wound channel

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JR 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a good video discussing the underwood and Lehigh loads of the xp bullet

#9 ·
12 inches of gel penetration is not the same as human/tissue penetration. a hollow point that opens fully and goes 8 inches in gel probably wouldn't penetrate a chest if it had to go thru the arm first
The XPs rounds penetrate about 14-19 inches from a 2.8 inch barrel. Watch the second video brotherbrian posted.
The 3.25 inch glock barrel gives quite a bit more penetration than the 2.8 inch barrels.
These rounds in 9 mm are way too hot.they pass thru 30 inches of gel and water jugs.
I think these xp rounds are perfect for 2.8 inch barrel 380s if they feed.

#10 ·
People are not made of ballistic gelatin, it's true. But it is a reproduce-able standard that allows bullt comparisons. 18" thru gel might seem like a lot, but human center mass contains ribs, vertebrae, and lots of fibrous tissue that is tougher than gelatin. My guess is that an 18" pen thru an actual torso would possibly exit, but with very little energy left, or just make it to the back and lodge in the spine or rear rib.

We're also assuming a straight shot thru the torso, front to back. As soon as any up/down/side angle is reached, the distance of mass to travel thru increases, decreasing the potential for exiting. Like, say, you're on the ground, have to shoot upwards, hitting BG around the appendix area, traveling up/back/toward the left shoulder. That bullet is not getting out of that body w/o surgery. Or as another person pointed out, BG puts up his arm as you shoot. Now it has to go through several inches of flesh, possibly a bone or two, before it even gets to the clothing barrier.

I'd say 12" - 18" is probably about as good a standard as any.

#12 ·
We all make our decisions!
thats fine cause you call the shot at what you tote.
my take is, first don't really give a bum about FBI requirements, If I were an FBI agent, cop etc then I would I am not interested in penetrating a car door, house door, windshield etc.
I don't really want more than about 10-12 inches of penetration and I want a expanding point projectile.
simple I don't shoot once, I don't practice to shoot once, if I hit an arm 3-4 times then I guess am unlucky.
I don't plan on trying to arrest an attacker or warn him other than to point the gun and fire.
don't need to read them any civil rights.
Thats just me as I say everyone has ideas on the subject and I like any number of modern projectiles, as long as they are functional in my gun they pass my test pretty much.
one thing for sure about Bal Gel I that it don't scream an run away, I haven't seen it go into shock and I don't think it bleeds
.Its a good comparison TESTING AGENT though.

#13 ·
Several good points here.

One, people aren't made of ballistics gelatin.

Two, it's going to be darn near impossible to hit Center-of-mass without involving some form of bone or cartilage. Either will reduce penetration.

Three, while we are NOT FBI agents, it's good knowledge to know just how our self-defense rounds work in the case of a miss. How dangerous are they if they fly past the miscreant, and impact a car, or glass, or even a door or wall. Hoping that they will stop the round isn't exactly the kind of thinking that one makes plans on.

Gunfights are dynamic events. Distances vary, barriers change, and the rapid actions of both parties can make a mockery of all of the "testing" in the world. Let's face it, JHP rounds in a .380 ACP aren't known for deep penetration with wide expansion. Most JHP rounds also have reduced expansion and penetration when barriers are found in the way. Energy can do both features, penetration and expansion. However, both will re reduced as the available energy is used. Looking at the FBI protocols, note that the rounds meeting them are all +P. There's a LOT of work involved in barrier penetration and expansion. The round meeting all of the protocols also tend to be of Duty Length, to get every erg of energy available into the performance of the round.

In the end, the shooter picks what he or she believes will work best for them, in their own particular circumstances. Of course, nobody should overlook other considerations. The round must be accurate, reliable, and controllable in the firearm it's used in, as well.

These rounds are tools, and may well add yet another facet in the choosing for some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.