Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: American cities foreigners are warned to stay away from

Member #
    Liked
    851 times

American cities foreigners are warned to stay away from

Interesting article, seems the Europeans know more about where the crime is in America than most Americans do (except the locals).

16 American cities foreign governments warn their citizens about | GovBeat

I lived near Boston and worked there for many years. When tourist are warned to not walk at night in the Boston districts of Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury, all of us familiar with Boston should collectively say "DUH!!!"

P.S. I just can't wait for the responses from you guys familiar with the other cities on the list.
    Last edited by nedave; 11-15-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

"DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    Benjamin Franklin

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

Member #
    Liked
    1896 times
    Interesting list. I generally avoid cities.
    gasbag, Wolf1477 and treg like this.
    "I got your gun!" Captain James T. Kirk, Star Trek (2009) "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Member #
    Liked
    851 times
    You have cities in West Virginia? I thought all you had there were log cabins and decapitated mountains.
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

"DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    Benjamin Franklin

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

Member #
    Liked
    14418 times
    Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Foreigners stayed away from the USA all together.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    4071 times
    This part near the end cracked me up: Germany doesn’t warn its citizens about any specific cities, but it does caution against letting it all hang out: “Although the laws in individual states categorizing nudity as ‘indecent exposure’, are rarely asserted and punished, those laws should absolutely be followed. Nude bathing and changing clothes at the beach stirs up public agitation and can lead to unpleasantnesses.”

mingaa and Wolf1477 like this.
    Semper faecorum, solum profundum variat.

Member #
    Liked
    942 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nedave View Post
    You have cities in West Virginia? I thought all you had there were log cabins and decapitated mountains.
    No,.thats where we live,the Upper Penninsula of Michigan.we do live in a log home too.and avoid big cites as well.
    treg likes this.
    Some people are more trouble than they are worth,I'm glad your worth something....Mrs. T.G....

"Cognito ergo armitium sum"....(I think therefore I am armed).

Member #
    Liked
    916 times
    The warnings on NYC is for the most part accurate. We avoid Times Square like the plague...crowded with tourists,scammers,pick pockets and cops.The statue is still a great trip but the ferry gets crowded and a soda costs $4.50 once you're on the island.There is nothing of any real significance or interest for tourist in the south Bronx except Yankee Stadium.Harlem is unrecognizable from what it was 30 years ago....now the new frontier and hot neighborhood,world class restaurants, sidewalk cafes and clubs,luxury apartment buildings and renovated 2 million dollar brownstones and a young international and celebrity vibe but there are still small pockets of the old Harlem remaining so you still have to be aware.
    Although there have been some recent incidents, Central Park is the safest it's been in it's entire history so that one is a crock.
    mingaa likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5642 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Foreigners stayed away from the USA all together.

I second your motion..
    Born in a state of confusion and been there every since.
    Stop the spread of stupid Spay or nuter a idiot.
    Due to the shortage of Ammo, I will no longer fire warning shots!
    That was your warning.
    Proud member of the NRA...
    I will not comply to the government scams.....

Member #
    Liked
    6051 times
    St. Louis - "Avoid northern area between the airport and the city center, but the airport shuttle is safe..." true that the north east section of the city is depressed - tourists would have NO reason to go there but some of the most prosperous neighborhoods would be cut out following those instructions. StL is more than the Arch and sports stadiums. University City is very walkable, Clayton has some of the finer restaurants and the parks and cultural landscape here are great. I know some of the other cities - man! That is one broad brush they are using!!

There are sketchy neighborhoods in every major city - any savvy traveler would NOT be going into them in the first place. DER!!
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    Noam Chomsky

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5642 times
    In West Virginia we call our citys towns.. Sounds so friendly.. Sounds great when we say we are going to town to get a box of beer and a pop...
    Born in a state of confusion and been there every since.
    Stop the spread of stupid Spay or nuter a idiot.
    Due to the shortage of Ammo, I will no longer fire warning shots!
    That was your warning.
    Proud member of the NRA...
    I will not comply to the government scams.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links