Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    8780 times

357 Sig

Whats the deal with the 357 SIG round? I know it's a 40 cal necked down to a 9mm and hits very hard.......is there some kind of licensing thing where other manufacturers can't produce it? I was pretty sure Glock made one, but on further reflection, that may have just been a 3rd party manufacturer who sold the barrel.....if there isn't a copyright issue, why wouldn't Taurus make one?
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    3885 times

Re: 357 Sig

Don't know but is one hell of a round!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    2260 times

Glock, Springfield Armory (XD), S&W (M&P series), SIG, among others all produce pistols in .357 SIG. I have a Glock 31 (which is the same size as a G17, G22). The first pistol developed was the SIG Sauer P226---hence the SIG nomenclature showing that they were the manufacturer that requested this caliber. (Same as 40 S&W, 45 GAP, 45 ACP)

Taurus has made pistols in .357 SIG---the PT957 was chambered in this caliber.

And you're right about it hitting hard. It exceeds the muzzle velocity of any 9mm load that is available...+P, +P+, or NATO. My G31 has been clocked at 1,415 fps at the PD range with a Cor-Bon 125 gr. JHP.

And Buffalo Bore along with DoubleTap make really hot loads bringing muzzle velocity up close to 1,500 fps.

It basically matches the ballistic characteristics of a 125 grain .357 Magnum load from a 6" barrel revolver in a 4-4.5" auto pistol.
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

beretta/stoeger cougar is chambered for it also.

it's just not a real popular round, it's also kinda expensive using bottle neck brass usually reserved for rifle calibers.

i did hear the boarder patrol adopted it though.

i know some PD's use it as well.. i remember hearing about one PD that let officers choose between .357sig or .40s&w, they ended up having problems with some officers mixing them up and trying to shoot 357 in the 40's.. no one was injured, round just tumbled down the barrel and had horrible accuracy.. but they ended up eliminating one or the other cause of the mix ups.

how stupid can you be.

EDIT: i should correct my self, stoeger only makes 9mm & .40 cougars.. but are 100% compatible with beretta cougar parts so you could put a beretta .357 upper on a stoeger lower.. stoeger is owned by beretta.
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Another advantage of the 357 SIG round is that, at least with the SIG Sauer pistols such as P226, P229, P239, et. al. you can swap out the barrel and the magazine with .40 S&W. Not to mention the new .22LR barrel kits that fit the larger pistols (not the P239), so a single pistol could accommodate 3 calibers. Of course they charge a testicle for the barrel kits but you have those options. Personally, for a .22, I'd spend that money on a Mosquito; they're more fun.

I'd consider doing the 357 SIG barrel kit down the line, but only for defense against animals. Otherwise, the possibility of overpenetration frankly scares me. The 357 round was designed to penetrate car doors and windshields, which is why the Secret Service as well as many State Patrols use this caliber. This summer I did some "heavy" plinking of beer cans filled with water and the .40s just ripped them apart. If that's what a .40 does I'd hate to see what a 357 SIG or a 10mm would do. Actually I very much want to see it, just with tin cans!

P.S. NYPD, what is that flag that you use for your avatar icon?
    "I used a freakin' 12 gauge, what d'ya think?" - Napoleon Dynamite

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    8780 times

A PT957 !! I had no idea.....is this a discontinued gun, I never hear anybody on the forum or elsewhere talking about this gun, I wonder why.....? You'd think that a round that is statistically equivalent to a 357 magnum would do better. I've heard a lot of PD's and agencies use them........

Thats some good info guys, I didn't know that so many manufacturers made guns for the round.

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

Member #
    Liked
    177 times

Don't hold me to this. Because I am usually more wrong than right. But, if I am not mistaken and my memory serves me correctly the Teaxs Highway Patrol switched to the .357 Sig round a few years ago. The big ol fat slow moving .45 ACP just was not getting the job done. Such as penetrating car doors and glass and such.( Like Indrid Cold said.) I read that some where but for the life of me I can't remember where. They did do extensive research before the switch. Another advantage of the bottleneck .357 Sig is it less likely to jam or failure to feed because of shape of the cartridge.
    "Honor the Texas flag of 1836; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisable."
    "Hey, jackass, get your government off my freedom."

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    11249 times

Texas DPS has used .357 magnum revolvers for years. S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman to be exact. They adopted the .357 Sig to stay current with technology and the almost exact performance of the rounds.
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    44 times

The 357 SIG can't run as heavy of bullets as the 357 Magnum but for anti-personnel that's not a problem. If you're running a quality hollow point (or equivalent) I wouldn't be any more concerned about over penetration than I would be with any other JHP.

Due to the ammo costs I don't think it'll ever get as big with civilians as 9, 40 or 45 but at the same time I don't think it'll drift into near oblivion (like 45 GAP is doing). I think it has a very solid future.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    8780 times

I don't like dissing any caliber selection, because at least you're trying to defend yourself....but having said that, what was Glock thinking releasing another 45 caliber design? I suppose if you have incredibly small hands, then every millimeter of diameter makes a difference, but going up against the caliber that won two world wars, Korea, Vietnam, etc. etc. - just doesn't make any sense to me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links