Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Breakfree CLP vs Frog Lube

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Breakfree CLP vs Frog Lube

My cleaning routine on my rifles and shotguns has never really been more than the standard Hoppes #9 and some strategically applied oil, but a friend turned me on to Breakfree CLP when I bought my first pistol a few weeks ago, and it seems to be working pretty well so far. I started looking for a good cleaner/lubricant when I started looking for a pistol and had become interested in Frog Lube. There is a definitely a noticeable price difference, but would it be worth it? Has anyone used both that could say which they liked better?

Member #
    Liked
    3860 times
    My usual routine for all firearms is a full cleaning with Hoppe's, a second cleaning and wipedown with BreakFree CLP, and I use Tetra Gun Grease on any moving parts.
    MOONDAWG and JHPRICE like this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    A lot of opinions about what is good. I made some conclusions of my own after reading this:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103924

Thought this was really interesting....

Member #
    Liked
    10024 times
    I buy a lot of the "polyrazmataz" lubricant/CLP's and two of them have really impressed me. One was Tru Recoil, the other is Frog Lube.
    I clean all of my firearm's with Frog Lube these days.
    There's nothing wrong with cleaning up your guns with brake cleaner and lubing it up with some sort of oil. Think about the moving parts on your car or truck, the engine and transmission take a beating, far more than your gun and they're lubed with oil and transmission fluid (more refined oil).
    For years I lubed my guns with sewing machine oil.
    What I'm saying is; Whatever floats your boat, go for it.
    Qwiks draw, darbo and nut016 like this.
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Treason: The betrayal of one’s own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Member #
    Liked
    20218 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
    My usual routine for all firearms is a full cleaning with Hoppe's, a second cleaning and wipedown with BreakFree CLP...

Ditto...same here...
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    3175 times
    i really like clp very cost effective cleans every thing and wipes off real easy clean with clp and use rem oil and hoppes gun grease for friction parts. wirh all the shot guns and pistols i found frog lube to be exspensive and saw no diference in preformance. I clean my pistols after every shooting so it only takes 5 minutes or less rather than shooting several times and having to spend an hour or more
    jhp
    nut016 likes this.

it is ALWAYS better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    Get a gun and GET TRAINING. Training is the key to making proper and responsible decisions in the use of deadly force and training is the key to expertly defending yourself in an unavoidable lethal encounter.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    2681 times
    I've had a friend rave about Frog Lube. I use MPro-7 cleaner and lube. No problems. My fall back is Hoppe's cleaner and Hoppe's gun oil. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    darbo and nut016 like this.
    The AR-15: The 21st Century Patriot's Flintlock Musket.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9918 times
    Ive never used anything except breakfree. Never had a problem with it.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

Member #
    Liked
    7585 times
    Any good CLP will do the trick. If you like spending your money, that's OK but the results are going to be pretty much the same.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3320 times
    Frog Lube

Link above is to discussion on FL. I still use some Hoppe's and BreakFree + Mobil 1 on slide rails, mainly because I have a lifetime supply and then some. LOL However, on about half my pistols I've gone to FrogLube and will convert more. Can't say enough about how easy clean up is after a range visit with the FrogLubed pistols vs. those using the standard stuff. I've not noticed any abnormal wear nor any adverse effects - I love the FL - it's expensive, but worth every penny IMHO. I have the paste, liquid and their new Solvent which is also excellent.

However, as I've posted many times, what's important is keeping your guns cleaned and well taken care of, so it really makes no difference what you use, just use it or do it. My only exception is WD40 - I love the stuff, but it will never touch any of my weapons - YMMV.
    TXEric likes this.
    (2) PT709 SS 9mm; PT740 SS .40S&W
    PT140 Blk. Mil Pro G1; PT140 SS Mil Pro G1 .40S&W; PT111 9mm SS Mil Pro G1
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS - 9MM; (2) PT100AFS .40S&W
    TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS
    (2)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and all Black 9MM; Texas CHL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links