Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Are all Taurus pistols +P capable?

16K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  tktaurus 
#1 ·
I'd like to know if all of Taurus' Pistols are capable of withstanding +P+ rated ammo pressures. :???:

#2 ·
This from the manual.

+p rated for duty use

All Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a steady diet of factory-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition built to SAAMI specifications. This includes the ultra-Lite hammer forged aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel and stainless steel models. Rest assured, your Taurus will be ready, especially when you’re counting on it. +P rated ammunition not recommended for Magnesium revolvers.

Reactions: daytonaredeye
#7 ·
IMHO, +P ammo is a waste of money and metal. To a point i can understand the reason for wanting a little extra performance from the round, but i don't see why anyone would want to put extra stress on their weapon and spend extra money on ammo when it's truly not needed.

And as far as .38 Special +P loads, they're a joke. It's simply pushed to the same pressure standards as they were 20 years ago, but have been scaled back severely because you don't have to use back pressure to cycle a revolver.

#16 · (Edited)
IMHO, +P ammo is a waste of money and metal. To a point i can understand the reason for wanting a little extra performance from the round, but i don't see why anyone would want to put extra stress on their weapon and spend extra money on ammo when it's truly not needed.
I am with Montkun on this one. A bullet is a bullet, and a well placed bullet is better than an overrated one that cost more lol
Besides not that many burglars, muggers, or street thugs will be wearing $2,000 body armor. If they did they wouldn't need your wallet right?

#12 ·
Plus is something like 110% more pressure..and ++P could be as high as 120-130% more...I don't think that is a good thing. I like my hand, eyes, nose to all be in the same place they are now. :eek:

#13 ·
If you read in the manual of newer models, it says that taurus does not recommend using any non SAMMI rated ammo. this includes +P+ rounds

#17 ·
I am a new member, this is my first post. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I recently bought a brand new Taurus 66. Hoping to go shoot it for the first time tomorrow.

I am confused about what the manual says about what ammo to use. This is a .357 magnum gun. I plan to use .38 specials for practice, but the manual "warns" against using the +P especially for practice.

How could a .38 +P be worse for the gun than a .357 magnum? Something to do with the length of the round maybe?

Any help understanding is welcome.

Thanks.

#20 ·
I am confused about what the manual says about what ammo to use. This is a .357 magnum gun. I plan to use .38 specials for practice, but the manual "warns" against using the +P especially for practice.

How could a .38 +P be worse for the gun than a .357 magnum? Something to do with the length of the round maybe?
Hard to fathom. What exactly does the manual say?

#18 ·
The only Taurus revolver that was not rated for +P .38 ammo was the Magnesium model 856, produced from 2007-2009. All Taurus revolvers that are rated for .357 Magnum will fire .38 +P ammo without problem.

#19 ·
They just don't recommend a steady diet of +P ammo, but if you want to run some to test it out every now and then it's fine.

#22 ·
I could see them saying no .357 Magnum +P, but no .38 Spl +P would produce more pressure than a normal .357 Magnum. Normal .38 Spl rounds aren't loaded to their old pressure numbers anymore, they're about 10% lower than they were 20 years ago. When you go +P with them, you simply have a round loaded to original specs of the round from years gone by.

#23 ·
First...There ain't no such animal as a .357 magnum +P.

Google SAAMI pressures and you'll get their complete charts...

Here is just an excerpt from SAAMI...

.38 Spl. - 17,000 PSI
.38 Spl. +P - 18,500 PSI
.357 Magnum - 35,000 PSI
9 mm - 35,000 PSI
9 mm +P - 38,500 PSI

As one can see the lowly, in some folks minds, standard 9 mm cartridge generates as much pressure as the .357 magnum.

#25 ·
Didn't SAAMI lower the .38 and .357 pressures in the early 70s.

#27 ·
My did a mod, super non the less, resurrect this thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.