Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Opinions on .32 S&W Long Hollow Points?

Member #
    Liked
    2627 times

Opinions on .32 S&W Long Hollow Points?

Got a pretty decent price on bulk reloaded .38 Special from Georgia Arms - came out to about $11/box of 50 (before shipping) where the cheapest reloads I can get locally are between $16-$17/box of 50.

I also saw that they had .32 S&W long in jacketed bullets, so I ordered 50 rounds - mostly to "clean up" the barrel w/jacketed rounds after shooting lead. To my surprise, when they arrived, they were hollow points.

This made me think of my sister, who hinted about wanting a gun several months ago. I have an older but functional H&R 6 shot in .32 S&W long, and I told her that I would give it to her, if she wanted it. I thought the .32 would be good, because the recoil is relatively low, and she's handicapped, with not a lot of arm strength. The gun is also not very heavy, so she wouldn't have a problem lifting/holding it.

She wanted a gun for home defense, and I was worried about that the .32 S&W long may not be sufficient, but then I saw these hollow points and thought maybe it would be. What do you think? Would .32 S&W long hollowpoints be a viable defense option at close range? She's in a wheelchair, so shot guns are out. I know some folks in wheelchairs are probably great with shotguns, but they practice, and that's NOT her. Even a big heavy handgun wouldn't work, and I'm worried that even a .38 Special in one of my small snubnoses would be too much recoil. She's kind of fragile.

Don't know if it will come to pass, as she's restricted from owning guns where she currently lives, but wanted to get input on a good gun/caliber choice. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rossi; 10-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    ncfarmer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    835 times
    Even a .22LR revolver is better than no gun at all. I'm sure that the .32 S&W will do just fine...
    Rossi and Southern4x4 like this.
    Ruger GP100 5", 10-22, 738TCP, Sears bolt .22, Mossberg 500 20ga, gsg1911 .22, CZ75b, R92 .357 mag

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I carried a HR 732 for a long time. It would be a fine gun for someone who doesn't have one and is physically challenged. Those GA Arms 32sw longs run about 136 ft/lbs of energy, which is not bad for an old 32 revolver.
    Georgia Arms also makes good ammo. Their bulk ammo (re-manufactured) might be slightly higher than what you can get at Walmart (9mm). But their premium ammo is a fantastic bargain. I have shot a bunch of it- never an issue. Look at their Speer Bonded Unicore ammo.....you will not beat that price. $24 per 50/box for either 115 or 124 gr +p SBU JHP.

Georgia Arms - 9MM LUGER

Member #
    Liked
    2627 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    I carried a HR 732 for a long time. It would be a fine gun for someone who doesn't have one and is physically challenged. Those GA Arms 32sw longs run about 136 ft/lbs of energy, which is not bad for an old 32 revolver.
    Georgia Arms also makes good ammo. Their bulk ammo (re-manufactured) might be slightly higher than what you can get at Walmart (9mm). But their premium ammo is a fantastic bargain. I have shot a bunch of it- never an issue. Look at their Speer Bonded Unicore ammo.....you will not beat that price. $24 per 50/box for either 115 or 124 gr +p SBU JHP.

Georgia Arms - 9MM LUGER
    Yes. I've heard good things about GA ammo for a couple of years now, so I thought I'd give it a try. Mostly I'm looking for good price while still getting good reliability and function. Their .223 ammo (for my new Mini-14, which I have on order ) was a bit more than what I can get it locally, but the .38 Special was a lot less. I TRULY can't understand why the ever popular .38 Special is so expensive compared to other calibers (when bought locally). I probably should've ordered 1000 rounds instead of 500.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Member #
    Liked
    13874 times
    IIRC police used .32 S&W L for years. It will do just fine.
    Rossi likes this.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    Not sure about 38 spce......but you might look at Freedom Ammo and Underwood Ammo-

Nah- just looked at them......$11/box is good from Ga Arms
    Last edited by brojohn; 10-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Rossi likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3704 times
    She will be able to defend herself with the .32 S&W Long cartridge and weapon. It may not be the best weapon for that purpose, but it beats a shrill scream. Do not look for expansion, though.
    Last edited by JR; 10-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6139 times
    well honestly you can't have Elephant stopping power and have it in a light weight, low recoiling round.
    the 32 S & W (even the long) is really a fantasy to put a hollowpoint projectile in the end of it.
    the velocity is really low, the projectile is really light and the energy in target is light as well.
    I think velocities are in the 800 FPS at best?
    but if thats the way the sister must go then thats what you got.
    I wouldn't waste money on a hollowpoint myself though.
    I am trying to think if i have ever seen a hollowpoint factory round in the 32 S & W (or long?)
    Rossi likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1773 times
    I shoot critters with a 32 sometimes. The 32 s&w long full wadcutter is ammo of choice for the 32. It makes a 32 caliber cookie cutter hole going in armadillos and golf ball or larger exit holes. The 32 hollow points make what looks like about a 25 caliber entrance and nickle to dime size exit. Distance is 5 to 20 steps barrel length is 2" to 9" revolvers.
    Last edited by TheOldRedneck; 10-29-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: fix what average intelligence smart phone fixed
    Rossi likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    BGs rarely will ask for a caliper measurement of the bore of the pistol being aimed at their head. The best SD handgun is the one a person can use and has available at the time. A wheelchair hoslter setup is in order for your sister - make sure she gets some range time so she'll be comfortable using the thing.

Rossi likes this.
    Several firearms in .22LR, .380ACP, 9mm, 7.62x25, 7.62 Nagant. 7.62x54R and .45ACP. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links