Member #
    Liked
    65 times

Tulammo have hard Primers?

I bought a box of 380 Tula ammo and noticed on the first shot and many after, though not all. there was no bang. I had to double strike the bullet. My remington and Hornady bullets gave no problem.
    Anybody else have seemingly hard primer issues from Tula??? The gun I was using was a Bersa 380. Thanks for replies.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7160 times
    Yes, I've had the same problem with both .380 and 9mm. The 9mm won't fire at all in one of my guns, and in another it's fine. The .380 I have one gun that's erratic and one that works fine. Some guns will work fine with it.
    "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Yes. I believe the cups are harder. Even though they function fine in my FNP-9, they don't in the 24/7 DAO pistol my wife uses. And my Kel-Tec S2K doesn't function well with them either.
    Just exactly what is it about shall not be infringedthat is so difficult to comprehend?

Taurus 24/7 DAO 9x19
    Taurus PT-99 AFS 9x19

Member #
    Liked
    2786 times
    Had a few problems with them in my AR in 5.45x39 without a heavy spring. Havent used it in anything else but have heard of issues with it
    ‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’ - Justice Robert H. Jackson

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9722 times
    I have shot a fair amount of Tula ammo, mostly 9mm and .45acp. I have yet to have a problem. That being said I have read a lot of question just like this one. So is it the Tula ammo or the individual pistol being used is the question. I think most gun owners would prefer to blame the cheap, dirty, off brand ammo that they bought trying to save a few dollars rather than the more expensive pistol being used.

My personal view on the matter is simple....there are some foods that my grand son just plain won't eat, while other kids love it. My solution is that I don't bother trying to feed it to him. Doesn't mean it is bad, he just don't like it.
    "Courage is being scared to death.....but saddling up anyway"

You will always learn more with your mouth shut, and your ears open.

Member #
    Liked
    3491 times
    Could it be due to Tula having Berdan primers while most other manufacturers use Boxer primers? Since Berdans sit just below flush in the case, it's entirely possible that it's not getting pushed in far enough because the firing pin is at the recoil point of the pins spring system. Using a double strike may allow it to get that extra push on the primer against the internal anvil to create the spark needed to fire. Some guns make deeper primer strikes than others, my Hi-Point will make anything in 9mm with an unsed primer go bang. But in the case of a TCP, Bersa .380, or any other gun having trouble with them, i'd be willing to bet on that being the case. It's just a thought, i could be wrong though.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    I have had problems while shooting 223 tula ammo in my AR15 when I am using a lighter hammer and trigger spring, federal ammo works great with my light spring set up. When I have the factory spring in my AR tula fires every time.

sent using Taptalk Droid
    Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1666 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Montkun View Post
    Could it be due to Tula having Berdan primers while most other manufacturers use Boxer primers? Since Berdans sit just below flush in the case, it's entirely possible that it's not getting pushed in far enough because the firing pin is at the recoil point of the pins spring system. Using a double strike may allow it to get that extra push on the primer against the internal anvil to create the spark needed to fire. Some guns make deeper primer strikes than others, my Hi-Point will make anything in 9mm with an unsed primer go bang. But in the case of a TCP, Bersa .380, or any other gun having trouble with them, i'd be willing to bet on that being the case. It's just a thought, i could be wrong though.
    REsponding late because I just saw your post, montkun. I have not had a prob with Tula, but I only buy 9mms and 7x39s for paper-punching. (Too hot to handload this time of year) I HAVE noticed that the 7x39 are lower than flush, BUT the 9mms are flush. Neither one has ever caused a FTF and I've gone through hundreds.

What I was thinking was this - - - - - it maybe that the 7x39s are loaded BELOW the flush level. Most AKs, including mine, do not have a firing pin return spring, so it doesn't retract neatly, like a 1911. Which means--at least in theory--the bolt closing on a round COULD fire the round prematurely if the primer was even a whisker high. Knowing that, while I've noticed the deep-set primers - - - - - - I figured it was intentional to set them this way.

JUst a cheap theory.
    Last edited by chuck_in_texas; 09-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I had trouble with Tula 380 in my TCP738 and Bersa Thunder, never tried it in my Beretta.
    I don't buy it any more.

edit: by trouble- I mean non fire, and some multiple strike required.

Links