Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .22 Magnum ammo prices

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

.22 Magnum ammo prices

Some of you may already know this, but for those of you who don't...
    I traded off my broken PT22 + some cash for a gently used 941 Ultra-Lite .22 revolver. I took the new gun out to the range and it was only firing 50% of the time. One of our great members here on the forum informed me that I needed .22magnum ammo. (Stupid me, I was putting .22lr in it)
    I should have known this but since I have proven to myself that I am not the brightest bulb in the string, nothing shocks me.

Today I went to one of the gun shops that I like to deal through and 50 rounds of CCI .22 magnum rounds set me back almost $12.00! I was shocked because i pick up Federal ammo for my 9mm for $10.00 for 50 rounds. I got a .22 because I am not as filthy rich as I would like to be and plinking is more fun with low cost ammo.

So that leads me to my question: What should I be paying for .22 magnum ammo? Where is the best deal on .22 mag rounds? I see the prices to order it online, but it would only make snse if I bought 5,000 rounds once you take in to consideration the shipping cost. I like to have a couple hundred rounds at most to control the amount of shooting I do.

I am located in the Spokane Washington area so I have tons of sporting goods stores (Sports Authority, Cabela's, etc...) and the normal Wal-Mart big box stores. Your pricing help and suggestions would be much appreciated- Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by andy9020; 03-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2786 times
    Welcome to the world of 22 mag! I agree that the ammo is outrageous. That is one reason I only use mine for hunting anymore. The last two boxes I got were 9.49 and 11.89 each. Since its not ammo that is in high demand like 223 or handgun ammo, most prices are fairly equal because its not such a demand and they cant sell in bulk.
    ‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’ - Justice Robert H. Jackson

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    13136 times
    $10 to $12 sounds normal to me. The last few times I've bought .22mag. it was within this range. Sounds pricey, when you think .22.
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7183 times
    I see it around either side of $10 at best. I gave up on it, you can reload just about any centerfire for $5-$10. I don't think 9mm is going to stay $10 forever though.

Member #
    Liked
    13302 times
    Walmart near me has the best price $8.97/100. My guess is next time they get it in it will go up about $1.00 like everything else did. It does not sell fast, maybe i should go buy it up.

I have an old Marlin 57M lever rifle. It does not feed the rounds from the tube properly, one of these days I will find somewhere to get it fixed. Shoots real nice when it chambers a round, which it will do if I ever so slightly bump the round forward before closing the lever.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º> Fish on! <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    It's all about volume of production. They make a handfull amount of .22 WMR compared to the dump truck load voume of .22 LR they make. Even the bullets are different. .22LR use a .222" bullet while .22 WMR uses a .224" bullet. I would assume the cases have to be made from very different punches as well. You need a whole new line to make .22 WMR when it's a much slower sales item than the .22LR that's constantly bought and sold.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21843 times
    The last box of .22mag I bought cost $3.79, which I thought was pretty dang expensive for .22 ammo. I changed the cylinder in my convertible Ruger Single Six to .22LR and decided to save the .22mag for special occasions. I guess there haven't been many special occasions as I still have about 40 of the 50 rounds left in that box of .22mag ammo that I bought in 1979.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff View Post
    The last box of .22mag I bought cost $3.79, which I thought was pretty dang expensive for .22 ammo. I changed the cylinder in my convertible Ruger Single Six to .22LR and decided to save the .22mag for special occasions. I guess there haven't been many special occasions as I still have about 40 of the 50 rounds left in that box of .22mag ammo that I bought in 1979.
    BigSkiff- I read that and was thinking "$3.79 a box!?!? Wow, I wonder where he picked those up. I am going to be stocking up at that price..." Then I read on to see that you got them in 1979! 33 years and you still have it. Amazing! I am thinking that my .22 magnum 941 revolver might just end up being a CCW for the truck! Too expensive to just randomly take it out target shooting!
    BigSkiff likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5953 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff View Post
    He-He-He, Yes indeed!
    thats why you see a lot of Ruger Single 6 that have scratched up, beat up cylinders in them, but the Magnum Cylinders seem to always look brand new!
    I know mine does too!
    heck you can shoot 9 MM cheaper than 22 Mag.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links