Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Freedom munitions review

45K views 76 replies 28 participants last post by  hombre243 
#1 ·
I ordered 200 rounds of .40 and 150 rounds of. 44 mag both in fmj.

Very next day I received a tracking number and they showed up today. Wa. s happily to see a few bonuses in the box. One hat and some kind of rag with the logo.

They did make a mistake on my order. I received 3 boxes of fmj in nickel plated brass and 1 box of jhp Olin regular brass that was marked nickel on it. However I didn't mind the Mix up so no complaints there

Shooting. 40
Fed and fired great. Every primer went off and accuracy was just as good as anything else. Clean burning

The hollow points had a little more punch to them and also fed and fired %100

.44 mag

Consistent length. Every round went boom and shot poa=poi.

Rounds were loaded light. Not much kick at all but burned clean and shot well

See less See more
#9 ·
well the .44 mag continues to be great, however these 2 boxes of .40 i shot today had constant failures to feed. I think they were a little longer than spec. I will continue buying the .44 but I will not buy any more .40 S&W

#74 ·
Did you measure the OAL - put calipers on them! Diameter matters to. If you believe the ammo is out of spec you really should check it and if it is I'm SURE that the company would like to know about it. Why allow them to potentially produce more ( just saying) bad rounds IF that is the case ?!?

Reactions: bobkart
#13 ·
what type/brand of JHP do they load??
all JHP's are not designed for self defense (expansion) some are designed as target loads and not designed to expand but make the projectile more stable.
Zero Bullets are of this design.
when ordering bullets one needs to be sure they are getting what they think they are getting for it intended use, looks can be decieving many times.

#15 · (Edited)
Well, the price looks good- even with shipping.
I wondered what bullet was in the hollow points? Hate to hear they did not open up in water. Maybe olefarhors may have identified the problem- target ammo. I selected 380 jhp in a 250 rd box and it will ship to me- on the other side of the US- for about $0.33 per round. Thats pretty reasonable.

edit: I didn't order 250 rounds, i just ran through their cart thingy so I could see the shipping cost.

#16 ·
yea, without knowing which projectile it is hard to say.
I normally load the Rainers 115 Gr, Round nose plated as target ammo in my 9 mm, But Midway ahd the 115 grain hollow point Rainers Plated on sale cheaper than the R/N so i ordered them.
Now i had/have no thought of using this as a self defense round, but out of curosity i while outside at a buddys place tried them as expansion, mostly cause he had a bunch of water jugs and denim and was testing different factory rounds, so heck let me see out of curosity.
these also have serrations in the front of the jacket (plated part)
Now these are loaded in the 38 Super at about 1200 FPS, the penetrated 3 milk jugs, and dug into the mud bank behind them, passing through 2 layers of blue jean in front of the milk jugs.
the round expanded about to 45 caliber or so and was not a pretty exapnsion being lop sided.
so all hollow points are not created equal, AND 1200 fps is plenty fas enough to expand if so designed.

#22 ·
Monday night at 11pm, I placed an order for 250 rounds of .45 ball NEW and 250 rounds of .45 reloads. I used the 10% off coupon, and got the 500 rounds + shipping for about $150.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I received my shipping and tracking number. FedEx Ground will be here in TX on Saturday.

#29 ·
They arrived this afternoon (Saturday). Ordered 11pm Monday night and delivered to Texas at 1:00pm Saturday was very reasonable.

The shipping carton was packed tight with the 10 boxes of .45 totally filling it. It was stapled and then covered with glass fiber strapping tape.

Text

The 5 boxes of .45 ACP reloads are all clean and shiny, with mixed head stamps. All of the rounds were in plastic trays.
They are mostly WINCHESTER brass, with several Remington (R-P), Federal, and Speer. The 230gr FMJ were all smooth and shiny.

Ammunition Metal Gold Brass Gun accessory

The 5 boxes of "New" all have a USA head stamp, bright, shiny, with shiny 230gr FMJ bullets, all in trays.

Metal Gold Ammunition

I was planning on going to the range this afternoon (Saturday) to burn a few with my new Ruger SR1911 and my well seasoned PT145MilPro, but we are having torrential rains and flooding today.

I will try these out next week.

#24 ·
I made an order yesterday, haven't heard anything back yet but am not too concerned, if I don't hear anything by saturday I'll give 'em a call Monday.

I ordered:
3k 9mm blaster
1k .223 blaster
1k .45 ACP remanufactured
total $1,048
for 5,000 rounds shipped to my door at a little over 20 cents a round I'm pretty happy, considering I can't find 9mm fmj for less than 22 cents a round locally, and everything else much more expensive, I feel like I made out like a bandit. Assuming everything works as advertised.

#28 ·
eh I'm getting into some gaming at my range, and with the current state of affairs I wanted to at least start a nice stockpile.

I figure at least 1/5 of the order will go into storage at my parent's house as that is where I will go when SHTF. I've talked to my father who while a conservative is not an outdoorsmen in the sense of firearms, helluva golfer, but not much of a firearm enthusiast. I got him into a 9mm M&P and he's getting an AR just to have soon. He's got the money and I feel better knowing he's taking steps.

I ordered much more, but it was kind of a group buy, not all of it going to me. I like to order bulk to shave shipping, just makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.