Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

New Fiocchi Extrema Mono Block Ammunition

Well Just recieved my ammunition order that included the 9 mm Fiocchi Extrema Mono Block Expansion ammunition.
    This is a solid copper projectile and so no worry about seperation of the core and jacket material during expansion/ penetration.
    Fiocchi lists the projectile at 1325 feet per second out of a 4 inch barreled 9mm, it is standard velocity ammunition (not plus P power) and the projectile weighs in at 92 grains.
    a close look at the projectile finds that it has expansion serations in the projectile nose and a wide tip (ala Hydra shok) in the center of the cavity, It is brass cased , somewhat surprising as Fiocchi typically uses a nickled case in its Extrema self defense ammo.
    I will be doing an accuracy/function test shortly and plan to use a Beretta PX4 SC ( 3 inch barrel) , Taurus 24/7C ( 3.3 inch barrel) a Stoeger Couger ( 4 Inch barrel) , and a Taurus 99 (5 inch barrel), this should pretty much cover the 9mm's!
    I would really like to be able to do an expansion test but don't have a place to do this.
    I understand that a 40 caliber offering is soon to be!
    COST??? a box of 50 is $24.00 bucks!
    Just some food for thought gentlemen! oh and ladies!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2264 times

Re: New Fiocchi Extrema Mono Block Ammunition

Mono Block expansion test

In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

That was fast!!
    Thanks NYPD!
    It seems it works as advertised!
    I think thats about a .750 caliber (Dime size) after expansion (near 200% expansion) and it appeared to be 100% weight retention.
    certainly a very, very pretty mushroom.
    I would have preferred a balistic gelatin expansion test but ???
    now to see if its accurate?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    850 times

I Thought 92 gr was 380 auto ammo
    Ye shall know the truth ... and the truth shall set you free ....

NRA
    NJ2AS
    The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

Quote Originally Posted by sandman 11
    I Thought 92 gr was 380 auto ammo
    ahh, well .355 diameter is both 380 and 9MM size ammo, weight really has little to do with it as long as the weapons twist rate will stabilize the projectile.
    Thats how they get 1325 Feet per second out of a standard loading and a 4 inch barrel gun.
    The 93 grain mono block actually gets about 30 more foot pounds of energy than the 124 grain in the same sized weapon.
    of course 30 Foot pounds of energy nobody can tell the difference anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    12284 times

I looked at the vid NYPD posted the link to - those things remind me of the automatic thermometers they put in turkeys. I guess when the center post pops out the target is done .
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee
    I looked at the vid NYPD posted the link to - those things remind me of the automatic thermometers they put in turkeys. I guess when the center post pops out the target is done .
    he-he-he, yea nasty looking little devils for sure!
    greenwolf is suppose to be testing some all copper rounds that he loaded for his 380 , I am waiting to see the outcome on those.
    at 24.00 bucks per box of 50 in the fiocchi thats below prices on conventional hollow points.

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

Well finally got a chance to take the 9 mm's and the Fiocchi EMB (copper) rounds to the range for a bit of testing!
    Took the
    Beretta PX4 SC- 3 inch barrel
    Taurus 24/7 C- 3.3 inch barrel
    Stoeger Cougar- 4 inch barrel
    Taurus Model 99- 5 inch barrel.
    All pistols have three dot fixed sights,all are single action /double action, three are hammered, one is striker fired, All four weapons have a history of reliability and problem free as to ammunition and function.
    The Ammunition is Fiocchi EMB copper protection rounds, 1325 feet per second from a 4 inch barreled 9 MM, 359 foot pounds of energy.
    This is standard pressure ammunition ( not Plus P)
    for expansion test see NYPD post above!
    The normal 9 MM round that i fire is 124 grain standard pressure, in practice it is FMJ, in carry it is hollow point modern design of various manufactures (usually Federal Hydra shok or Fiocchi XTP)
    The rounds were hand held and fired at 10 yards, what i feel is about the extreme in self protection distances normally encountered.
    I fired 12-13 rounds of GECO (dynamit/Noble) 124 grain FMJ at the center target to check sight picture before shooting each individual target with 10 rounds of Fiocchi EMB ammunition.
    All rounds functioned 100% and appeared to have slightly less recoil than the 124 grain FMJ's. :P
    They seemed to print right on target with the 124 grain FMJ's with all four pistols, even though velocity should be a good bit different between a 3 inch and 5 inch barreled weapon, of course at such short range the bullet drop would be non existant.
    There appeared to be no problem with any of the 4 weapons stabilizing the lighter/faster projectile and this and function was the purpose of the testing in my mind.
    All rounds appear to hit the target perfectly round with no yaw or tumbling.
    I wanted to follow up with this report as the thing now days seems to be shorter and shorter pistols and so some may be interested in the added velocity of these rounds out of a short barreled weapon, along with some reduction in recoil.
    The all copper projectile is considered by many as being superior due to 100% retention of bullet weight and no seperation of jacket/ core material as there is no jacket, generally it is said that penetration and expansion is the best of both worlds with this type projectile.
    Again refer to NYPD post above for the expansion and weight retention of these rounds.
    all shots were POA=POI.-and a bit of moving as you can see!-LOL
    The Fiocchi EMB runs about 24.00 per box of 50, (yep box of 50)!!!
    Hope this helps some of you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    12284 times

OFH - that Stoeger looks like a good shootin' pistol. I hadn't previously considered one, but I am now. The 'Cougar' part was kind of throwing me. Does it have the rolling lock barrel like the Beretta Cougar, or is it a totally different animal? Sure looks a lot like the Beretta.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee
    OFH - that Stoeger looks like a good shootin' pistol. I hadn't previously considered one, but I am now. The 'Cougar' part was kind of throwing me. Does it have the rolling lock barrel like the Beretta Cougar, or is it a totally different animal? Sure looks a lot like the Beretta.
    Yes it is, at least for me!
    ITs my most accurate 9mm actually.
    It is a Beretta Cogar for all practical purposes!
    When Beretta began design of the PX4 Storm it incorporated a lot of the features of the cougar Including the rotatiing barrel lockup, and so they couldn't really have two almost identical weapons.
    the Cougar was sent to Turkey along with the Beretta machinery and technicians and was relabeled the Stoeger Cougar.
    The magazines actually say Beretta and made in Italy, all parts to my knowledge will freely interchange.
    The Storger cost me 409 plus tax, the Beretta was saleing at about 7-800 at one time.
    Stoeger has came outt with the 45 acp in the gun and of course the 9mm and the 40 cal has been out for a while.
    very easy, good shooting gun, smooth as silk.
    one of the really good buys out there in my opinion.
    check out Stoegers website, you will find it interesting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links