Member #
    Liked
    0 times

SR9C SELF DEFENSE AMMO

A friend of the family had a Ruger SR9C at a price I just couldn't resist. (Seems her spouse pushed her into getting it, and now that they've split she wanted to sell it). Anyhow, it's only had one box of FMJ's run through it, so I figure it still needs to be broke in - which can be an expensive proposition when it comes to self-defense ammo.

Does anybody out there own an SR9C? If so, was there any self-defense ammo that it did not like? I figure that I need to run at least 100 rounds of self-defense ammo to see what it likes, and at $25 to $35 per box, I'd rather not sink a couple of hundred bucks into self-defense ammo that is non-refundable/exchangeable but gives my gun indigestion. So, I'm looking for a heads-up on ammo to avoid.

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times

Re: SR9C SELF DEFENSE AMMO

Had mine for almost a year,

I have run lots of FMJ, factory and handloads. I have also shot Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Hyda Shok, Cor-bon HPs, Winchester Silver Tips, a bunch of Remington 124 +P Golden Sabers and a bunch more assorted HP ammo.
    With over 5000 rounds through it I have never had a stoppage.
    You are correct about shooting what you plan to carry to make sure it functions but after that your shot placement will be more important than what bullet you use.

That being said I really like the 124grain +P golden Sabers, I have done some tests and got great results, plus my gun is very accurate with them. I have posted the results before but here they are again. 9mm shot from the Ruger at 21', into gallon milk jugs filled with water and newspaper, with a T-shirt and insulated pleather jacket on the first jug.

Almost forgot, congratulations!

I love my SR9c, it is a great gun, reliable, shoots great and very easy to carry. It is a vital part of my CC arsenal.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Nice SR9C and support gear, and good info. Thanks. Mine is the stainless version, and I'm leaning towards the Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, or Hydra-Shoks based on various forum postings, and personal experience. Seems like good old WWB 147 grain bonded JHP would also work well if I couldn't lay my hands on the other three. Just seems like the SR9C is too good to believe. I have a couple of friends who own them, and they just don't seem to jam or malfunction no matter what they're being fed. I was trying to find out what the SR9C won't eat, and it looks like there isn't anything.

The only bad thing that I've read about them is light strikes, but those posting were made by people firing reloads or who - for some unfathomable reason - completely disassemble the gun (including the striker mechanism) and then put it back together. It also seems like a lot of the negative postings were made my people with no actual experience, and were simply repeating something they had heard from someone else who had no actual experience. I dunno, but I suspect that the root causes of the light strikes can be found in less than reliable reloads, improper reassembly, or myth.

Seems like the common experience is that the SR9C likes Gold Dots, Sabres, Hydra-Shoks, and WWB personal defense. All good (or at least decent) ammo, all can be found locally or on-line with little effort, and all ammo I have personal experience with and like.

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times

Light strikes can happen,

I had 3, 2 with reloads and 1 with factory ammo. I then performed the pencil test and found it was hitting pretty light. (Barely moved the pencil) I then researched and found many blamed the mag safety. I removed mine and it hit harder.

Upon advice from a Ruger website I sent it to the factory, I had bought it used but Ruger payed all shipping. Looks like they polished the striker and installed a stronger striker spring. It now shoots that pencil out hard and no light strikes. I have since read a lot more and it sounds like only a problem with the first batch of guns.

I really like mine, stems from how well I shoot it. We just fit naturally together. I shoot some IPSC and used a full size XD 9m for a couple years. I like to shoot some with what I carry and tried my SR9c, my scores have actually improved!!
    I sold the XD and plan to shoot only the SR9c this season.
    That being said I only have 2 gripes with the pistol, I have always carried a revolver so I don't care for the thumb safety. I could just not use it but you still have to train like it's there, it has not been very hard and have it down pretty good now.
    The other is the Mag safety, it is in the slide and the magazine lips press it in so the striker can move fully forward. On most guns it is in the frame and keeps you from pulling the trigger. On other guns it is only engaged one per mag change on the SR9c it rubs on the mag every time it's fired. I have no doubt it will wear on the mags over time, weather that causes a problem is yet to be seen.
    I would just remove it but worry over the legal problems removing a factory safety would cause if I had to use it in defense of my life.

Once again no gun is perfect, maybe one day I will win the lottery and start my own gun company, then I could build "My perfect gun"!!!

Links