Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    4742 times

Re: Taurus TCP 738 and +P ammo

Oh, I wouldn't call +P .380 a 9x19 Luger. That's more of a .380 magnum. I'd equate a +P .380, if it existed, to 9x18 Makarov.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"---Ben Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    2212 times

I don't understand anyone calling their load a .380 +P since there are no SAMMI specs for it, but having said that most manufacturers are loading their .380 ammo at around 14,000-15,000 psi/cup (which BTW is target/cowboy pressure levels off the SAMMI spec) because of all the legacy blow back design pistols on the market, like the Bersa Thunder. SAMMI max spec for the .380 Auto is 21,000 psi/cup. Could it be that they are simply loading to the SAMMI spec and denoting that with the +P tag? I would ask them at what max pressure levels they are loading their +P ammo. If its equal to, or less than, SAMMI spec then its OK, over that and they are taking quite a chance since no one is really building overspec .380 Autos that can take advantage of the overspec ammo.

The truth is that the new locked breech design small .380 Auto pistols handle the higher pressures that are .380 Auto SAMMI spec much better than the larger blow back design pistols. I would be much more confident shooting max SAMMI spec ammo in a TCP, LCP or P3-AT than say a PPK or Thunder.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    4833 times

Exactly, my point as well green!
    Why (other than trying to make a sale) woudl any manufacture state they have a plus p product that is actually a standard accepted pressure loading on a cartridge other than trying to pull the wool over the buyers eyes.
    What always comes to my mind when i read/hear of such advertising practices is I beleive it was in 1964 when Chevrolet made the Impala SUPER SPORT, and then produced it with a inline six cyliner engine and two speed power glide tranny.
    or the chevy vega GT??
    Really???
    Its either an accepted pressure loading or not in the case of the 380.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

I am new to this forum!
    Great info! I purchased a Taurus .380 SS and before going to the range I polished the ramp and buffed
    all friction bearing surfaces!
    I used Federal, Winchester, PMC and Zombie Max. I had 2 FTF with the Federal in one mag, the other mag
    fed and used all rounds. As far a CCW of course I am looking for "More Power" so I called SAMMI and Taurus with
    alot of questions about rounds. Of course SAMMI could not recomend nor approve any rounds.
    Taurus did advise for my serial # I could use +p but not +P+ such as 380 ACP +P+ MagSafe MAX 52 Grain 1720 fps
    or for some reason Buffalo Bore ammo they said dont use it all others OK such as 380 ACP MagSafe Defender 60 Grain 1500 fps
    or Corbon DPX.
    I believe I will go with either the Corbon DPX or RBCD not +P just light weight bullet
    380 ACP 45 gr. TFSP 1835 fps / 337 flbs

So what do you think? I know it's a flip the coin make a decision and live with it!
    Regards,
    Norman
    Last edited by Hiflyer141; 06-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links