Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Educate a Brit

Member #
    In the UK. I'm an expat Geordie living in Bedfordshire
    Liked
    1227 times

Educate a Brit

OK, so whenever someone on a US TV program or movie has fried eggs they are asked how they like them, and 9 times out of 10 they reply 'over easy'.

Wossat?

I like my eggs fried, and I splash the hot oil over the top to make the yolk cook over, but I still like it so that I can dip my bread in the yolk - is that 'over easy'?

Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry I flip the egg for a few of seconds to finish it off, that doesn't sound like 'over easy' do you have a term for that?

Also, 'hold the mayo' obviously means no mayo on my sandwich, but does that mean that you don't use butter much and use mayo instead? Or does certain sandwiches (IE Pastrami) usually come with mayo?

There are other food related things but I can't think of them yet - will be asking later, so I can brush up on my Amerenglish!
    Been sellin' and buyin' - updates to follow.

Member #
    Liked
    2833 times
    Don't flip but cook the top with hot grease splashed over = sunny side up. Best served with grits.

Flip without breaking the yolk = over easy.

Break the yolk and mix loosely before flipping = stirred or scrambled (but most people scramble eggs by mixing them up in a bowl with a little milk before pouring them into the pan).

Can't think of ever hearing anyone wanting their yolk intact but cooked through.

Very rare to find anyone putting butter on a ham sandwich here -- mayo, mustard yes. Again, never saw butter on a ham sandwich until I went to Bermuda, although I have seen people here put jelly on their McD's sausage-egg-and-cheese biscuit.' "Hold the mayo" will usually get you a dry sandwich.

OBTW, bacon was intended to be fried (refer to 'sunny side up'), not boiled. Microwaving is okay when absolutely unavoidable.
    Wolf1477 and TexasAviator like this.
    Esse trucem aut esse pabulum.

Member #
    In the UK. I'm an expat Geordie living in Bedfordshire
    Liked
    1227 times
    Thanks for that Walker56.

We have two types of 'bacon' the first is bacon, it is usually very thinly sliced, from a couple of mm up to about 4mm. This is always fried or grilled, I prefer fried.

Then there is gammon, it is a salted ham joint and is initially boiled, it is then sliced thickly and can be eaten hot or cold and some people fry it.

A northern dish is pease pudding and ham sandwiches, and a speciality of my home town (Newcastle on Tyne) is a pease pudding and ham stottie cake.

Pease pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm signing off now to find a ham and pease pudding stottie - I'm starving!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wolf1477 and 91 whiskey like this.
    Been sellin' and buyin' - updates to follow.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10614 times
    Flip the egg over and cook it thoroughly is considered "Over Hard", this is good for fried egg sandwiches but not much else IMO.

I prefer mine over easy, I then cut my eggs into my hash browns which makes it a "mess" and always leaves yolk left for my toast...which I wrap around my bacon. My kids like theirs scrambled.

Best breakfast in the whole world: 2 buttermilk biscuits, two eggs over easy on the biscuits, and smother the whole thing with sausage gravy.

Dammit, now I'm hungry and have 6 hours left to work.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10614 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker56 View Post
    Don't flip but cook the top with hot grease splashed over = sunny side up. Best served with grits.

Flip without breaking the yolk = over easy.

Break the yolk and mix loosely before flipping = stirred or scrambled (but most people scramble eggs by mixing them up in a bowl with a little milk before pouring them into the pan).

Can't think of ever hearing anyone wanting their yolk intact but cooked through.

Very rare to find anyone putting butter on a ham sandwich here -- mayo, mustard yes. Again, never saw butter on a ham sandwich until I went to Bermuda, although I have seen people here put jelly on their McD's sausage-egg-and-cheese biscuit.' "Hold the mayo" will usually get you a dry sandwich.

OBTW, bacon was intended to be fried (refer to 'sunny side up'), not boiled. Microwaving is okay when absolutely unavoidable.
    Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing, but, I almost always put butter on my ham sandwiches.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3867 times
    I have eaten my eggs"over hard" for most of 60 years. Just the way I prefer them. I also hold the mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise on sandwiches. I take lettuce, tomato, and onion on them, instead. It's not that I don't like the condiments, but I like the taste of the unaltered food more. In a country over 3,000 miles wide, you're going to find legacy methods of cooking that still exist.
    Wolf1477 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15054 times
    Sunny Side Up - The yellow is uncooked and looking at you.
    Over Easy - Flipped yellow is runny and white is kinda runny
    Over Medium - Flipped with runny yellow and firm white (hardest for most diner cooks to get right).
    Over Hard - Cooked until everything stops moving. Will usually break the yolk, but not scramble everything together.
    Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your targets
    Reduce them to shreds
    Reuse shoot them more than once
    Recycle whatever is left over

24/7 Pro C 40 S&W PT1911 45 ACP 738 TCP 380 ACP PT111 SS Model 66 .357
    About me - I take very little seriously especially myself.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupid is the refusal to do anything about it.

Member #
    Liked
    7541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    OK, so whenever someone on a US TV program or movie has fried eggs they are asked how they like them, and 9 times out of 10 they reply 'over easy'.

Wossat?

I like my eggs fried, and I splash the hot oil over the top to make the yolk cook over, but I still like it so that I can dip my bread in the yolk - is that 'over easy'?

Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry I flip the egg for a few of seconds to finish it off, that doesn't sound like 'over easy' do you have a term for that?

Also, 'hold the mayo' obviously means no mayo on my sandwich, but does that mean that you don't use butter much and use mayo instead? Or does certain sandwiches (IE Pastrami) usually come with mayo?

There are other food related things but I can't think of them yet - will be asking later, so I can brush up on my Amerenglish!
    You got it. Over easy is eggs flipped to cook both sides but the yolks are runny.

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    11233 times
    I like scrambled with grated longhorn cheese and a spicy salsa mixed in! And then there is Huevos Ranchero! Eggs are the most versatile prepackaged food on the planet.

Mark Twain once said In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Member #
    Liked
    20161 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    ...does certain sandwiches (IE Pastrami) usually come with mayo?
    "SACRILEGE"... one thing that will get you wacked in an Italian American neighborhood quicker than being a snitch is putting anything but mustard on Pastrami.

...and if a Polish hood, ketchup on Kielbasa...which also requires mustard.

...fagitaboutit...
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links