Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Educate a Brit

Member #
    Liked
    3031 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    Flip the egg over and cook it thoroughly is considered "Over Hard", this is good for fried egg sandwiches but not much else IMO.

I prefer mine over easy, I then cut my eggs into my hash browns which makes it a "mess" and always leaves yolk left for my toast...which I wrap around my bacon. My kids like theirs scrambled.

Best breakfast in the whole world: 2 buttermilk biscuits, two eggs over easy on the biscuits, and smother the whole thing with sausage gravy.

Dammit, now I'm hungry and have 6 hours left to work.
    I agree with your perception of the best breakfast in the world except that I like my eggs
    scrambled. Some people have a sweet tooth, I have a biscuit tooth, there is nothing that
    makes a meal a pleasure than good, homemade buttermilk biscuits!

Speaking of scrambled eggs, my grandfather on my dad's side of the family used to enjoy
    what was a delicacy to him but something I just couldn't get myself to try. He used to
    mix hog brains in his scrambled eggs. He swore they were the best thing in the world
    but being a city slicker compared to him, I just couldn't get into that. Sausage isn't
    sausage unless it has plenty of sage, I was not happy with the last batch of deer
    sausage we got from the processor last year. It didn't have very much sage in it and
    thus it didn't have much flavor. This year, I might be doing my own processing again
    provided we have a good deer season.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfarmer View Post
    I agree with your perception of the best breakfast in the world except that I like my eggs
    scrambled. Some people have a sweet tooth, I have a biscuit tooth, there is nothing that
    makes a meal a pleasure than good, homemade buttermilk biscuits!

Speaking of scrambled eggs, my grandfather on my dad's side of the family used to enjoy
    what was a delicacy to him but something I just couldn't get myself to try. He used to
    mix hog brains in his scrambled eggs. He swore they were the best thing in the world
    but being a city slicker compared to him, I just couldn't get into that. Sausage isn't
    sausage unless it has plenty of sage, I was not happy with the last batch of deer
    sausage we got from the processor last year. It didn't have very much sage in it and
    thus it didn't have much flavor. This year, I might be doing my own processing again
    provided we have a good deer season.
    I've had the pig brain scramble. Wasn't bad, but, it wasn't something I'd go out of my way to have again.

Biscuit tooth, that's a good term for it.

I'm actually going to try processing my own venison this year if I manage to tag one. I wanna try venison bacon and none of the processors around here will make it, and getting sausage and other stuff is almost impossible. You get steaks, chops, ring bologna, summer sausage, and venison sticks (think slim jim type things). I want garlic and seasoning in my sausage! Not just ground up silver skin and rank meat.

I also want to make sure I actually get my own deer back. I shoot smaller deer on purpose, I want tender good tasting meat. Last year I took mine in and I swear I got somebody's 18 year old swamp buck back, I can guarantee it wasn't the same animal I'd been watching for weeks before I took him. Almost inedible.
    ncfarmer, Sekol and 91 whiskey like this.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Member #
    Liked
    3031 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    I've had the pig brain scramble. Wasn't bad, but, it wasn't something I'd go out of my way to have again.

Biscuit tooth, that's a good term for it.

I'm actually going to try processing my own venison this year if I manage to tag one. I wanna try venison bacon and none of the processors around here will make it, and getting sausage and other stuff is almost impossible. You get steaks, chops, ring bologna, summer sausage, and venison sticks (think slim jim type things). I want garlic and seasoning in my sausage! Not just ground up silver skin and rank meat.

I also want to make sure I actually get my own deer back. I shoot smaller deer on purpose, I want tender good tasting meat. Last year I took mine in and I swear I got somebody's 18 year old swamp buck back, I can guarantee it wasn't the same animal I'd been watching for weeks before I took him. Almost inedible.

Yes, the meat on those older bucks can be tough as nails! You are right, if you are looking
    for good venison, pass up those trophy bucks and shoot the younger deer, especially the
    does. I haven't tried the venison bacon or bologna yet but I have made and eaten my
    share of summer sausage and jerky. A couple of years ago, we sent a deer to the processor
    and had prepackaged meat loaf made up from the venison along with hamburger. The meat
    loaf had chopped bell peppers the processor put in it and it was surprisingly good! I've
    eaten it all up and to me at least, it was similar to getting a frozen dinner out of the
    freezer, sticking it on a pan in the oven and a few minutes later, you are ready to eat.
    Thinking about all of this is making me hungry! I hope this year's deer season is a good
    one.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    OK, so whenever someone on a US TV program or movie has fried eggs they are asked how they like them, and 9 times out of 10 they reply 'over easy'.

Wossat?

I like my eggs fried, and I splash the hot oil over the top to make the yolk cook over, but I still like it so that I can dip my bread in the yolk - is that 'over easy'?

Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry I flip the egg for a few of seconds to finish it off, that doesn't sound like 'over easy' do you have a term for that?

Also, 'hold the mayo' obviously means no mayo on my sandwich, but does that mean that you don't use butter much and use mayo instead? Or does certain sandwiches (IE Pastrami) usually come with mayo?

There are other food related things but I can't think of them yet - will be asking later, so I can brush up on my Amerenglish!
    Splashed over the top equals "basted" in short order cooking terms (I'm a former SO cook). That's how I prefer to do my eggs. When I'm out, I will order "over medium" because my favorite diners will then cook my eggs how I like them: firm white, runny yolk.

I have had ham & cheese sandwiches with butter, mayo and mustard and quite like the combo, but that was in Upstate NY. DOn't really see that down South.

Over easy is exactly that: flip the egg over for a couple of seconds, then serve.

So, have you tried flapjacks/griddlecakes/pancakes yet?
    gbusmech likes this.
    Blow a Liberal's mind, have them parse this: "A well-equipped Library, being necessary to the Literacy of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed."

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    566 times
    Anybody like boiled eggs? Just asking.....
    "You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, & smarter than you think." Pooh Bear

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    866 times
    No one has mentioned the obvious compromise... Over Medium. Fried on one side til the whites are not runny, but the yolk still is... then flipped without breaking the yolk, cooked til whites are firm and yolk has only a small amount of 'runny' left
    Looks like a yolk broke on this plate...but these were done 'Just Right' for me
    Served here with Pork Chops, Hash Brown Potato and Raisin Toast, a fine American Breakfast.

Last edited by mayoral; 08-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Wolf1477 and gbusmech like this.
    Dad and GrandPa, Retired Educator, Roadfood.Com Moderator, BBQ Freak, Railfan, Firearms Collector, Not-So-Active Hunter. Getting Old Sucks.

Member #
    Liked
    14419 times
    Corrado......welcome to my world!!!!!
    Scrambled eggs here are basically cracked eggs, stirred up and then fried, stirred while frying. No milk or anything like that.
    In this country, bacon, which seems to hold God like status, and quite rightly I might add, can be served with anything, even peanut butter.
    Waffles or pancakes they will put anything on, absolutely ANYTHING, ANYTHING I tell you....You can go into a restaurant in my town and get steak and waffles with strawberries and syrup....and yes, whipped cream!
    Buttermilk biscuits, that they have referred to are the US equivalent of scones! But they seem to use them as we would use bread...for sopping up gravy of floating on the top of a stew instead of dumplings!
    They do tend to have strange culinary ideas, I believe Gordon Ramsey is trying to educate them, however...he must be! He is on the "telly" almost every channel I cant find football on! Its not even football season. Speaking of which, they talk alot about draft picks....no that is not about your favourite libation...it's about which teenager, is going to be paid about $3 million a year for working a 20 hour week and 20 minutes/game.
    Back to culinary...it is interesting here though, if you go to most local zoos, where they have the animal nameplates, they have FREE recipe cards!
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

Member #
    Liked
    14419 times
    BTW Corrado, I would KILL for GAMMON!
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

Member #
    Liked
    7236 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nut016 View Post
    Anybody like boiled eggs? Just asking.....
    I love poached eggs over buttered toast. I also love hard boiled eggs.
    Last edited by GunsandNoses; 08-07-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    rodfair likes this.
    Make a fast friend, adopt a Greyhound!

"Oh man. What kind of lefty hootenanny is this?" Dale Gribble.

One set of rules for the governed, another set of rules for the governing.

Signs Don't Stop Crimes.

Member #
    Liked
    3844 times
    The only way I will eat eggs is fried hard ( whites firm break the yolk and spread it out a little then flip it over to finish cooking ) with salt, pepper, ketchup and mustard on top.

Scrambled with a splash of milk beat in and stirred till done salt and pepper to taste and top with ketchup.

Hard boiled chopped up in salads or deviled using just salt, pepper, dry mustard and vinegar ( I have to cut way back on the vinegar and add mayo if I expect my wife to eat them since she don't care for the pucker factor )! Also hard boiled chopped up on biscuits with a white sauce gravy over all and salt and pepper to taste. Tabasco Sauce optional, personally I like a little tabasco!

If I want my eggs runny I will just break it in a beer and slam it down the hatch. Breaking the yolk when swallowing is not good in my opinion!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links