Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Open carry proposal (HB 700) introduced in Texas

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1673 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TXEric View Post
    All for it!
    Not so much because I would OC, but it would remove the stress of always worrying about printing or flashing (no, get your mind out of the gutter)...

And every liberal probably thinks we OC our Peacemakers all the time here, anyway.
    I'll vote for that. I wouldn't open carry myself, but from time to time I know that I've "printed" and worried a bit about whether anyone notices.

I did notice from the OPs text that it is STILL limited to "license holders".
    TexasAviator likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4020 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_in_texas View Post
    I'll vote for that. I wouldn't open carry myself, but from time to time I know that I've "printed" and worried a bit about whether anyone notices.

I did notice from the OPs text that it is STILL limited to "license holders".
    There just doesn't seem to be ANY way I can bend over to pick something up in the store without showing an obvious print. Even with a 709.
    I'd just like to not have to worry about that...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3662 times
    If anyone wants to follow the progress of this bill you can go here: Texas Legislature Online - Bill Lookup
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Proud owner of a PT145 since 2008.
    And a PT145SS since 1/2013.

"Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, Flight 93, 9/11/2001.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3145 times
    Last Tuesday at lunch had my 740 OWB Mini-Scabbard 3:30 position under long tail shirt and reached into right front pocket to get rid of change for tip - not sure why, but turned a bit and lady at table across from me had eyes wide open - looked down and my holster bottom with muzzle was exposed - dropped $3 in quarters on table and got the heck out of Dodge. LOL As with others, have no desire to open carry but would feel better knowing incidental exposure isn't going to get me into trouble with the law - dont care about the anti's - just the law.
    TXEric and TexasAviator like this.
    (2) PT709 SS 9mm; PT740 SS .40S&W
    PT140 Blk. Mil Pro G1; PT140 SS Mil Pro G1 .40S&W; PT111 9mm SS Mil Pro G1
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS - 9MM; (2) PT100AFS .40S&W
    TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS
    (2)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and all Black 9MM; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I read with interest the comments of members who seem to fear "printing" and someone being able to determine you are carrying a handgun. However, why the concern for printing other than possibly talking to a police officer, who may be called ?? In all the yeasr since CHL laws were passed in Texas, I never received one call regarding someone carrying a handgun who turned out to have a CHL. I have carried a handgun for over 35 years and never have had anyone call the police or noticed I was carrying a handgun. I don't carry small handguns either...all are full size service weapons.

Texas Government Code Section 411.171(3): "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person."

I believe police officers will overlook the "suspected" handgun under the shirt and the actual observance of seeing the gun if the shirt is pulled-up. Common sense dictates much of what happens on the street. Has anyone every been approached by an LEO after being reported by someone "seeing" your handgun ??

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20358 times
    I am all for it. I would like it better if there was no licensing criteria at all. But its a step in the right direction.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    511 times
    I sure could save a lot of Money & Time looking for the perfect holster, and could start buying my pants in my waist size!
    Wonder if you could wear 2 guns when you open carry
    TexasAviator likes this.
    They made us many promises, more than i can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
    Red Cloud

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogchild View Post
    That reminded me of the scene from Tombstone (the one with Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday)

Billy Clanton: Why, it's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double (he draws a knife)
    Doc Holiday: (draws a second gun) I have two guns, one for each of ya.

(for the antis who might read this, its a movie, ok! )
    Old_Sp5 and dogchild like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3662 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogchild View Post
    I sure could save a lot of Money & Time looking for the perfect holster, and could start buying my pants in my waist size!
    I don't see why not. There is no limit how many you can carry concealed so perhaps that will apply to open carry if and when this becomes law.
    Proud owner of a PT145 since 2008.
    And a PT145SS since 1/2013.

"Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, Flight 93, 9/11/2001.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    I think the last November change to open carry in Oklahoma was to eliminate the potential problem of accidentally exposing a concealed gun. I'm a little surprised that we are ahead of Texas on that. I have yet to see anyone carrying open except in gun stores and ranges.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links