Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Concealed carry question for states that have a notify officer law when stopped.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Concealed carry question for states that have a notify officer law when stopped.

If a car is stopped, say in Ohio where notifying the officer you are carrying is required does it apply to everyone in the car or just the driver? Does an officer disarm the driver before going any further & how would that work out with six armed individuals, would the officer call backup? Maybe this is a silly question.

Member #
    Liked
    3507 times
    The answer to your questions can all be handled with a one word answer. Yes.
    Zylo_X likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    1149 times
    And you must notify within a reasonable amount of time. The law in OH does not state what that time limit is, but I will notify before the LEO says anything to me.
    CHL Holder
    NRA Member

"'I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me." - George Washington McClintock (1963) John Wayne

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17477 times
    Great question! I had wondered about that too.

Member #
    Liked
    3357 times
    If it's an "official" encounter, anyone involved in that encounter needs to notify.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    I would add that you need to check your state/local laws, and any info here in does not constitute legal advice, just opinion. That said, I would always try to act within the law, and in a way that lends itself to my personal survival. Here in TX, a CHLer has a 'duty to notify', but there is no legal penalty for failure. On the street though, that could turn into a bad situation. Most LEOs seem to recognize that as a CHL/CWP holder, you are not a 'bad guy'.
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    One, you MUST know the state and local laws where you will have you weapon with you. That is a responsibility you took on as a CCW carrier.
    Two, consider it common courtesy to let the LEO know. I don't where I live and I have notified. I have my license, permit, and insurance ready before the LEO came to my window with both hands on the wheel. No surprises, no problems.
    When the SHTF, don't be infront of the fan.

Member #
    Liked
    2990 times
    In North Carolina, the first words out of your mouth if you are carrying and you are pulled over
    or you encounter a road block are " I am a concealed carry permit holder and I am carrying a
    gun". Then you must tell the policeman where the firearm is located. I have had to say these
    words before at a couple of police checkpoints and everything went smoothly. One officer asked
    me what I was carrying and I told him a Taurus 851 .38 snubnose revolver. He said "Good choice"
    handed me my identification and sent me on my way.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Here in Kentucky you simply stay in your car, hands in plain sight and tell the officer when he approaches the vehicle. I also ask him how he want to proceed at that point. The two times I've been pulled over they didn't ask for more than my driver's license, proof of insurance and CCDW license. Neither asked anything about the gun or its location. I would assume that would apply to all with you in the vehicle also. Kentucky LEO have it on record as soon as they run your tag or DL as it comes up as having a CCDW license. I know this for fact as my son was pulled over driving my car and he doesn't have a CCDW but was asked if he had a gun which he responded no too. No problem just a routine traffic check due to a tail light being out. I suggest you wait for the officer to approch and not holler out the window that you have a CCDW or a gun as you might get a Barney Fife move in that case.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4579 times
    A little advice never say gun just say you are have a ccw permit and are now in possession. If a rookie hears gun and is on your six he may go apesh$t Just a friendly reminder. In TN you don't have to say you are carrying but its wise to do so. In Ohio Its dangerous not to say as fast as you can. There has been some ugly times where a guy has not said he was carrying right away. But I believe the cop was dealt with as he was way out of control. This could have happened in another state but it can and does happen.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links