Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times

Kydex

I've never used a holster made out of Kydex because I don't care for the way that they scratch firearms. I used to have some Kydex sheaths for knives and had the same problem. However, I do like the way they hold the weapon so securely. What do y'all have to say about the issue?
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    1168 times
    Since I don't have any high dollar guns, kydex works for me. A little wear around the edges of my guns add character. If I had some expensive guns, I would probably just use leather. I have used some kydex and even made a couple holsters myself.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9949 times
    No problems here, yet, only have used mine for a few days.
    The shiny side of the Kydex is the inside of the holster, so I doubt that it will cause any scratching.
    USAF Veteran '72-'80 SSGT, Texas Air National Guard '83-'84 SSGT., Amateur Radio Operator WA1UFE since 1974,NRA Member
    24/7 Pro LS DS 9mm 17+1,DPMS Sportical 5.56/.223 16" barrel 1:9 twist, Nikon P-223 4-12X 40mm. Scope
    Stevens Arms Westpoint Model 121 .22S,L,LR SS Bolt Action, Crosman CenterPoint AR22 Series 3-9X-32mm. Scope
    Mosin Nagant 1942 KO-91/30 7.62X54R, Slavia Model 618 .177 pellet SS break barrel

"If you know how much ammo you have, you don't have enough"

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gwk1951 View Post
    No problems here, yet, only have used mine for a few days.
    The shiny side of the Kydex is the inside of the holster, so I doubt that it will cause any scratching.
    I think it's the tight friction fit that causes the wear/scratches. Now if there is a company out there that lines their kydex holsters, that would be the way to go.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    3567 times
    Even leather holsters show wear on a firearm after long term use, no matter how deep the bluing may be. But since i could care less about the general appearance of a firearm, i'm much happier when they're functional than sitting pretty in a safe. I've probably put more scratches on my 945 from it hitting the seat belt buckle in the car than using the kydex paddle i've had for a year now. But adding some type of soft liner like a felt or velvet would definitely minimize the damage, provided it's applied to be snagless.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times
    I have a couple of kydex holsters that are OK. However, I prefer leather. Leather conforms to you. Kydex never changes.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    For kydex check out hideous holsters. I have holsters from them for my pt1911 and g19, also a slew of mag pouches for all my firearms including my AR.

I use kydex exclusively for OWB carry, IWB I'm using a galco Kingtuc and like it alot.

The kydex hasn't hurt my pt1911 or g19, and I've holstered/reholstered 100's of times.

Aside guns are tools, not mantlepieces. Couple scratches adds character!
    OEF Veteran and Cornfed Iowa Boy
    PT1911ss
    Gen 4 Glock 17/19
    DPMS AP4

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverFan View Post
    I've never used a holster made out of Kydex because I don't care for the way that they scratch firearms. I used to have some Kydex sheaths for knives and had the same problem. However, I do like the way they hold the weapon so securely. What do y'all have to say about the issue?
    Here's the way I look at this. What's your life worth? I used to carry my Bersa .380 with the wrong holster and my perspiration dang near ruined the bluing. Since then I bought a Crossbreed for it, very nice. I am now carrying a PT945 stainless. I have the Nate Squared (no kydex) and just today my Tommy Theis arrived. Very nice. My carry guns are a tool for protection, tools sometimes get used and abused.
    A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked

There are no atheists in a foxhole; there are no foxholes in hell

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    6419 times
    I have a Crossbreed Minituck for IWB carry and it works for my daily carries - PT140 and PT145. And, as I've been told on this forum, you can reform the kydex by using low heat and a hairdryer. I am hoping to add a midsize/compact 1911 to my carry rotation soon and I will probably do the hairdryer thing to re-mold the mini for that gun. Other option is to purchase another mini built to the compact 1911 if for no other reason, to keep from having to re-work the holster when I switch to one of the milpros.

Yeah, I could look for another holster/brand entirely but I cannot say enough how happy I've been with the CB and I remember the uncertainty of the ole holster roundup before I settled on the CB.

Oh, my milpros are SS models and no scratching/marring of the finish in 2 years of use; the compact 1911 is parkerized and the finish may suffer some but it is one of the inexpensive lines and more concerned re: having a functional gun rather than a shiny heirloom.

Just my $0.02 . . . .
    NRA Lifetime Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. - GEORGE WASHINGTON
    Make a liberal happy. Go GREEN. Recycle the government!
    Parallel lines have a lot in common; too bad they'll never get a chance to meet . . .

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm not that concerned about appearance for daily carry guns. The thinness and rigidity are impossible to duplicate with leather. If you're interested, Garret Industries (Silent Thunder holster) lines kydex with leather at the price of added thickness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links