Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My Apartment Complex = No Guns. . .

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

My Apartment Complex = No Guns. . .

Hello all, I live in an apartment complex that in the lease says no guns in the apartments. I do not recall if it said storage or just plain no guns on the premises (I will check into that more). Anyway I am about a week out from receiving my CPL here in MI. Basically I am wondering if any of you guys live some place that does not allow firearms? I am planning on keeping my piece in my car inside the locked glovebox, so when I leave I can get it right out and throw it on me in the car. Also I am thinking "what they dont know wont hurt them" and just getting a small safe to keep under the bed or something. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Also I didnt know if this was an appropriate section to post this in, so mods feel free to move the thread if necessary. Thanks - Levi.

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    Nope, to be honest I've never heard of that before. Now I run a self storage facility and live here as well. Many of my tenants also carry daily both open and concealed. I wouldn't think of putting something like that in the rental agreement though we do restrict some things from being stored. Now personally I would never leave a gun in my glove box locked over night in a parking lot regardless. So to be honest I sure can't help much with this.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    1797 times
    All I can think of is...rules were made to be broken.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    There is no way I would leave that firearm in my car. Carry it in with you at night for your protection.. better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6... take it with you when you leave in the morning.. your life is more valuable than a lease on an apartment.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I think I'd keep the weapon concealled and not tell anyone while at the same time consider moving. Leaving it in a car not under your control I think is not a good idea.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Its pretty common up here in the town I live in. Back in the late 90's me and my parents lived in another apartment complex that had the same thing in the lease, but my dad was a LEO so the management just kept it on the down low. I have also seen some small safes that you can bolt down in your trunk which is another option. All of these damn apartment complex's try for the "small family friendly" type of community, just a bunch of BS. So I am leaning towards just getting a little safe for the apartment and keeping it up in the closet or something. The whole thing just pisses me off. . .
    bre346 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3mogul View Post
    There is no way I would leave that firearm in my car. Carry it in with you at night for your protection.. better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6... take it with you when you leave in the morning.. your life is more valuable than a lease on an apartment.
    Truth!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
    I think I'd keep the weapon concealled and not tell anyone while at the same time consider moving. Leaving it in a car not under your control I think is not a good idea.
    We are moving once our lease is up next june. Yeah I dont like the Idea of leaving it either really.
    GunsandNoses likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3mogul View Post
    What he said! Is the apartment management going to guarantee your safety? Will they put that in writing? Keep your gun with you at all times! That was probably written into the lease for undesirables to have a way to evict them. They may have a zero tolerance policy so the word of the day is CONCEALMENT.
    Luck to you
    "At the end of the day, I want to enter my house justified"
    Sam Peckinpah

MISS MODERATOR

Member #
    Liked
    5356 times
    I used to be the Manager here where we live and we didn't have any rules such as that. The new owner doesn't either, in fact we've discussed with him that we have guns and he never said a word. I'm not sure I'd live here if he had a problem with it. Furthermore, how would they know you have one in your apartment? They can't go through your personal items or even come into your unit without permission, so I'm not sure I'd even tell them. Just keep it hidden from plan sight.

Member #
    Liked
    2607 times
    I will have to check this out but I believe that the Minnesota law is that a Landlord cannot keep you from having a personal firearm in your apartment and carrying it to your vehicle through the "public spaces", but the laws vary from state to state and even from city to city within a state.

I would have to agree that what the Landlord does not know can't hurt him or you unless you have to use it and then at least you are still alive and and able to argue the point with them!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links