Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First Encounter With Law Enforcement While Carrying Concealed

Member #
    Liked
    3115 times

First Encounter With Law Enforcement While Carrying Concealed

I was on my way to work this morning when I ran into a roadblock near the office
    where I'm employed. I rolled my window down and handed the police officer my
    driver's license and concealed carry permit and told him I had a concealed gun
    and informed him where it was. It went very smoothly, the only thing the officer said
    about it was "Thank you for letting me know that". He then told me why they had
    set up the roadblock. They were looking for a gang of burglars who had broken into
    several homes in the neighborhood where the roadblock was set up which was about
    a mile from where I work. I told him I'd keep my eyes open for any supicious activity
    and went on to work. What are some of your experiences and stories about times
    that you have been stopped when carrying a concealed handgun?
    MilProGuy and StaminaRx like this.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    15106 times
    I'd caution against stating you have a gun just let your CCP do the talking. You might say I am carrying, but leave the Gun word out of it. He may have a rookie partner that all they hear is "GUN". Your state laws may require the disclosure, but giving them your license/permit should let them know all they need to know. Let them ask the questions like where is it. You might ask how they wish to proceed after giving them your license.

Also I'd advise if you keep your gun in your console or glove box to not keep your proof of insurance in the same place.
    Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your targets
    Reduce them to shreds
    Reuse shoot them more than once
    Recycle whatever is left over

24/7 Pro C 40 S&W PT1911 45 ACP 738 TCP 380 ACP PT111 SS Model 66 .357
    About me - I take very little seriously especially myself.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupid is the refusal to do anything about it.

Member #
    Liked
    6480 times
    I never in that situation report that i have a firearm on me or in the vehicle, again you need to abide by state law depending on where you live.
    If i am stopped (never happens) but if and i am asked to show my drivers liscense then i would/ do inform the officer that i have a firearm on me, and if asked do you have any thing else I should know about Then i say yes there is also a firearm in my vehicle.
    But road blocks and such i never mention it, but would never lie about having one either, most road blocks here are for Insurance checks, DUI etc and you never get out of the car.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3115 times
    In North Carolina, we are required to state that we are carrying if we are detained or stopped
    by a law enforcement official. I know many states do not have this requirement and it would
    be nice if we did not. You are supposed to disclose the fact that you are a valid concealed
    carry permit holder and if you are carrying or not. I gave the location of the firearm as a
    courtesy gesture. All went well in this case. I keep my proof of insurance under my sun
    visor, you are right about keeping your proof of insurance and the location of your
    gun separate from each other.
    Last edited by ncfarmer; 07-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18355 times
    About two weeks ago I was stopped at a 4-way stop roadblock for a license, insurance, and registration check.

When the officer approached the vehicle I had both hands on the steering wheel.

When the officer made his request, I presented my registration papers, proof of insurance, driver's license (along with my firearms permit), informing the officer that I was carrying a concealed weapon under my shirt on my right side.

He was courteous and thanked me for informing him I was carrying, and then sent me on my merry way.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 07-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Member #
    Liked
    12284 times
    Ohio is one of those states where you have to tell them you're armed if stopped by the police. If you don't, when they go back to run your license it's going to come up, and if they have to ask you could be in trouble. Law says you gotta do it, and if you don't you're breaking the law - in Ohio.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beardslee View Post
    Ohio is one of those states where you have to tell them you're armed if stopped by the police. If you don't, when they go back to run your license it's going to come up, and if they have to ask you could be in trouble. Law says you gotta do it, and if you don't you're breaking the law - in Ohio.
    Yes, You can and probably loss your ccw if you don't let them know even if you don't have the firearm on you it will pop up when they run your info. As stated earlier say firearm not gun their partner can get jumpy. Making a officer flinch pisses them off cause of the adrenalin dump. Human nature.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    U.S. Navy (92-97)
    USS Alabama (SSBN 731) blue crew
    USS Philadelphia (SSN 690)

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    A soon as you hand them your permit arent you pretty much stating you might be armed? I was taught to hand it to them and then let them lead off with the questions and not to just start putting all the info out there.

Member #
    Liked
    1498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
    A soon as you hand them your permit arent you pretty much stating you might be armed? I was taught to hand it to them and then let them lead off with the questions and not to just start putting all the info out there.
    NC is one of the states that requires you tell the officer that you have a CCW Permit and a gun "if you are carrying or have one concealed" at first contact with the officer. If you wait until the officer has to ask you then technically you have broken the law.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Oklahoma is the same way regarding immediate disclosure. One time coming back from TX, as I pulled up to one of the standard checkpoints I gave him my licenses and simultaneously informed him I was by license concealing a loaded firearm. He asked where it was, thanked me for telling him, and we went on our way. I don't think disclosure beyond displaying the permit is required in TX, but I felt good about it anyways.

The other time I got pulled over having a little too much fun on a back road on my motorcycle (later sold it for that exact reason). Same thing: I gave the officer my licenses and immediately informed him. He asked where it was, and after I told him it was in my right jacket pocket, he nodded and a moment later half-joked "don't go for it, okay?" I say half-joked because his tone was light-hearted in suggesting I was going to shoot him, but I think he was also worried I might try to get it out to give it to him or something stupid. Just to keep him at ease, I kept my hands clasped in the strap on the back seat the whole time. He ended up letting me go--I think it was a combination of no record, a good attitude, the shirt and tie peaking out the top of my jacket's collar, the NRA sticker on my helmet, and that I was carrying a firearm that helped sway his final decision.

Even in states where it isn't required, I generally prefer immediate disclosure. Officers are naturally uneasy making a traffic stop--making them prod for necessary information right from the start is not the best way to help them relax. They might not always be bothered by it, but I don't really see anything to lose as long as you deliver the information appropriately**. I mean, once you hand them the permit they are almost surely going to ask anyways. Plus, I feel I owe it to them out of simple respect to inform them right away.

**Obviously, you don't want to shout "I have a gun!" or anything like that. My standard line has been "Hello officer. I should inform you I am, by license, concealing a loaded firearm," as I hand over my licenses, with the permit on TOP.

As a side note, never say "gun" or "weapon." If you have a more seasoned officer, he might look down on your use of the technically-incorrect "gun," which is just one mark against you. If it is a newbie or someone who is relatively sensitive to the issue, "weapon" might make you seem a little on the "gun-totin' nutjob" side, again which might just be a mark against you. Thus, "firearm" is both still technically accurate and the most socially "neutral" of the terms.

*edit*

I spelled every instance of "lisence" wrong :P .
    Last edited by Lindenwood; 07-07-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: I'm dumb...
    sparks9293 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links