Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser sights?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Laser sights?

I'm debating the functionality of laser sights on my main CCW...I always thought it was a waste of money before...Opinions on advantages if any, disadvantages...etc

I carry a 709...Thanks
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Member #
    Liked
    1118 times

Re: Laser sights?

Tree would be a night time advantage if you don't have night sites on your gun. I have a PT145 and haven't found some night sights that will fit, so I used some glonation glow in the dark paint on my dots. I sit the gun under a lamp while geting ready for bed. The pain glows really bright but I don't really know for how long. So it really isn't that much help if its dark and I have been carrying. In pitch black home situation at night, you need something to be able to index your muzzle on target, even if you can't hit a bullseye, you need to at least get it on COM.

I am considering one for my gun and possibly my wifes Bersa.

Member #
    Michigan, the original God's Country!! (Troll, don'cha know)
    Liked
    4 times

Lasers are a great tool for training purposes. Train yourself for "natural point of aim" using the laser. Once you are proficient at that, the laser will just slow you down. Also, "NPOA" will not fail you as lasers and their batteries are prone to do.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

That's good input.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3651 times

I have the Defender version of the Crimson Trace on my Taurus 85. My Taurus 85 has fixed sights and does not shoot to point of aim with my usual 125 grn JHP ammo. However, the point of aim is definitely close enough for 7 yard shooting. For me, point shooting at close range is faster (and plenty accurate) than using the laser, but I do have the laser on this one gun.

Here are some thoughts about my particular laser which I've had for over two years carried in a pocket holster.

1. My Taurus 85 only has 5 shots, so I thought a laser might help me make those 5 shots land where I want them to.

2. My Crimson Trace laser is instant "on" when the grip is gripped tightly and off when gripped loosely. When calm you can keep it off. When stressed it works.

3. You can shoot from the hip with the laser if you ever needed to. That might be problematic with an auto-loader and "limp wristing" but with a revolver it's not an issue.

4. The laser beam does not illuminate the air unless there is dust, smoke, or fog. You will not be exposing yourself to others by the beam in many cases. Of course, the laser dot will be seen on the gun and in the distance where it is pointing.

5. The batteries last a long, long time. My original set have lasted two+ years.

6. The laser dot is vastly brighter and much easier to see than tritium night sights. Just think sun vs. moon here.

On a side note. I do have a laser on a .22 air rifle. It's sole intent is to be used against night critters (possums) as needed. It works great for that since iron sights and non-illuminated scopes are useless at night.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

good feedback, thanks

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I recently bought a PT 140, and was just curious..are IWB holsters that fit with lasers more difficult to find?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

If you can't find one, there are posts here that will help you design and make your own!

Member #
    Liked
    928 times

I have a Laserlyte "Quick Disconnect" model on my PT-92. It is my nightstand gun. I like it because, very simply, where the dot is, the hole goes. My thought is that in an emergency situation, all I need to do is concentrate on the perceived threat. It has the red dot and is only good for less-than-bright scenarios. It is my only gun with a laser pointer on it.
    I don't keep it in a holster, but in an opened gun rug beside the bed.
    As far as a "waste of money", anything that helps you stay alive is not a waste.
    For daytime use, I have other weapon options, a Beretta model 84, my Taurus PT-908, or the Dan Wesson in .357 magnum. Which one I have handy, depends on the day's activity. (Mostly the B-84)
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94, M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

My question and feedback is on a concealed carry weapon with laser...not for night and day.

Thanks for the opinion though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links