Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you carry a Revolver or an Auto for concealed carry?

Do you carry a Revolver or an Auto for concealed carry?

28K views 225 replies 188 participants last post by  JimmyA 
#1 ·
I'm curious.

Snubnoses today seem to as popular as ever, but many people like autos as well.

#10 ·
Either. I don't often carry two at a time, but, given the situation, a revolver or an auto might be on my person.

Reactions: SteveZ
#13 ·
I selected revolver -- simply because I am most commonly limited to pocket carry while in casual business attire. The Taurus Instant Backup 9mm titanium revolver is my typical carry weapon in those conditions these days. (I've used the PM40, P3AT, LWS380, R9s, and AMT45 as well -- but have come to rely upon the 905IB Titanium since its acquisition)

However, when dressed where belt carry is possible -- I will have a semi-auto pistol on my belt.

Interesting to hear a couple of comments regarding a revolver as being more reliable... In addition to the tactical handgun and carbine courses I've attended at Southern Exposure Training under Randy Cain, I also attended his revolver course this past year. I witnessed more non-operator malfunctions (meaning it was a gun problem) during the revolver course than in the tactical course where all use semi-auto pistols.

Most in the revolver course were using S&W K frame revolvers -- although a few of use were using N frames (mine was firing .44 special). So, to say a revolver is "more reliable" may not necessarily be true from a mechanical perspective -- it is a machine and can break too... But, throw the user-error element in and yes, a semi-auto can be less reliable for some shooters.

#15 ·
Carried a revolver for years, but now its semi-auto. Don't own a revolver except for black powder and single action. But I've been looking at revolvers again. Another snubby for carry. I never trusted semi-autos years ago. But I still just like them revolvers! :thumb:

#16 ·
It depends on my dress, mostly. If I have my computer back pack, I have either the 1911 or Tracker .357 in the large pocket. I usually will have the snubbie in my coat pocket. Shorts or light clothes, it will be either the KT .380 or PF9. By the way, I had a S&W model 29 many years ago that was a great gun. I have also had more problems with medium frame revolvers than any other single brand out there. In a revolver I really prefer the Taurus or Ruger over S&W. Just my personal preference, all are good guns.

#18 ·
Both

#19 ·
stephpd said:
Anyone carry the Judge? Looks a little big for CCW.
I just had to answer that!! When I bought my holster for my JUDGE, it came with several options I could buy. Belt obviously; Paddle, optional; and a shoulder rig.

Ok everyone I know had the 3", and I have seen the 4", but mine has the 6.5 inch barrel, and dispite what the web site says, it is not 9.5" long. It is 13" long and almost 6" from bottom of grip to top of frame. Winter time,with a long parka, or overcoat, I could get away with a shoulder rig, but being old and smaller I would probably lean very hard to my left. I have used it open carry, and for some reason no one asks about it except at the door of gun shows.

#20 ·
It's revolvers all around for me; in my car, in my truck, in the house, on my belt, in my pocket, BUG, etc. (You get the picture).

#21 ·
Robby said:
I could get away with a shoulder rig, but being old and smaller I would probably lean very hard to my left. I have used it open carry, and for some reason no one asks about it except at the door of gun shows.
LMAO :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cool looking gun, I'd keep it loaded half and half. 3 rounds of .410 followed up with 3 rounds of .45 jhp. Glad someone answered about the size of the thing. Reminds me of the old movies where someone would pull out a handgun with what looked like a sawed off rifle. Barrel had to be 12" in those skits. Wondered how they walked without a limp. The Judge is probably what I'd get next, just too strange. Not many handguns shooting buckshot. Maybe the Dems can get off their butts and get the 200 million rubber checks in the mail. I'd spend every cent of it on that gun. :D

#22 ·
stephpd said:
LMAO :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cool looking gun, I'd keep it loaded half and half. 3 rounds of .410 followed up with 3 rounds of .45 jhp. Glad someone answered about the size of the thing. The Judge is probably what I'd get next, just too strange. Not many handguns shooting buckshot.
Ok, I am not picking but if THE JUDGE has 6 rds, I would be lopsided for sure. It and every other one of those I have seen were only 5 rds. Magnum Research, makes one with that 12" barrel I think. There is one more that is a revolver but I lost the name somewhere!

#25 ·
My bad, thought it had 6. Still a BIG gun. Guess it'd be 3 and 2. I'd want it more for shooting bunnies and snakes. The 2 .45's would be more home defense. If the 3 .410's doesn't get them moving away the 2 bullets would be for bigger holes.

Can't imagine carrying it except for camping. ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.