What Training Do You Have? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What Training Do You Have?

Member #
    Liked
    823 times
    Grandpa, step-dad, NRA safe hunter course, 40 years of general shooting and 16 hours of Illinois CCW class.

Member #
    Liked
    13706 times
    Not as much as I'd like. I didn't even start shooting until I was 56. I started with a basic pistol course and then took a couple hours with a local retired LEO/instructor. Other than that I have shot a fair amount of IDPA type shooting. One day if I can afford it I will take a longer training class. I think it can only benefit me.

Member #
    Liked
    14093 times
    NativeTexan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4387 times
    For me just the course required for the CWP other than what I learned from my father growing up.. I had planned to take more, but am a long distance from formal gun ranges and has not worked out. I did take marksmanship in Jr. High School.

However my son attended Project Appleseed offered in St. Augustine Florida this past year. Said the shooting part of the course was intense, made him very tired each night. Teaches the history of militia, some not well known facts as well. I still hope to attend with him theis next year if I get over my current illness.

Project Appleseed | Ancient City Shooting Range
    darbo likes this.
    Owner Taurus PT740 Slim
    Kimber Compact Stainless II
    SW BodyGuard .380
    Windham Weaponry AR-15 SRC
    Mosin Negant
    Pre-serial Springfield Model 87A
    Florida CWP
    GOA Member
    Florida Carry Member
    New NRA Life Member

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    13706 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jseymour View Post
    For me just the course required for the CWP other than what I learned from my father growing up.. I had planned to take more, but am a long distance from formal gun ranges and has not worked out. I did take marksmanship in Jr. High School.

However my son attended Project Appleseed offered in St. Augustine Florida this past year. Said the shooting part of the course was intense, made him very tired each night. Teaches the history of militia, some not well known facts as well. I still hope to attend with him theis next year if I get over my current illness.

Project Appleseed | Ancient City Shooting Range
    The Appleseed program is offered at my local club too. I hope to attend it some day.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    grew up hunting with my uncle, joined a club and started shooting steel plate matches and have watched many many instructional video's on different weapons handling.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    7155 times
    Primary and advanced defensive pistol, 12 hours CCW training, Licensed Security Officer training. Looking to take a Primary Defensive Carbine course in April. The same school offers force-on-force classes with Simunitions.
    Last edited by Lmstncwby; 03-03-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." - Edmund Burke

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering
    Sand Lake 2016 TA Gathering
    Rapid City 2016 TA Gathering

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8420 times
    My father was a WWII veteran of the Pacific. When he returned after the war's end, he never owned a gun. He could shoot, and would help us when my uncle, the family "hunter," took us out to shoot as kids. First rifle at age 8, a single-shot .22 from Western Auto. That uncle seemed to always be available for a bit of plinking, as long as I provided my own ammunition.

At age 17, I enlisted in the Navy. Boot camp at Great Lakes actually contained a morning to "qualify" at 25 meters with Mossberg Model 144 rifles. Boring!! A group of us, those who had already been shooters, were bused to the 100 yard range, introduced to the M1 Garand (that uncle already has been doing that), and were allowed to "shoot for score". I had an older Springfield Armory M1 to use. Qualified.

After further training in S. California, and then Vallejo, Ca., I journeyed to Vietnam for an extended vacation (5/66-4/69). I was trained on the intricacies of the M14, the M1911A1, the M60, and the M2. OJT, and curiosity let me also train on the various S&W revolver models in-country, the Browning HP, and a curious little S&W 9mm designed for use with sub-sonic rounds. Also got to shoot the M3A1, the Model 1928, and the follow-on M1 and M1A1. Oh, and the M2 carbine. They tried to give me an M16 in 11/67, but I managed to escape that dreadfully unreliable POS.

Came home in 1969. Decided to turn down the CHP offer of employment given at Treasure Island Naval Base, and returned to Maryland. Just chilled with a new job, and a new car. Spring of 1970, I became part of the Prince George's County Fire and EMS. Went through the PCP wave, the AIDS scare, various drug epidemics, crack and meth as they lapped in to the county (we surround the Southern border of that blighted cesspool called DC). The results of those waves of violent behavior by pharmaceutical enhancement (except for AIDS), was a close working relationship with local, county, state, and several federal LE agencies.

I started shooting with all of them at their various ranges. This evolved into actually training with them at various "re-qualifications". I attended might shooting classes, some long gun classes (both shotgun and rifle), and their pistol classes. It was at one of these classes that I got to see, handle, and shoot the then-new HK P7M13 pistol of the US Park Police. I also attended several FATS classes held by the County Police.

I joined a D-o-D club, sponsored by the NSA, and attended their shoots, including a couple of Mid- Atlantic Sniper shoots. We also had Class 3 shoots. At the time, I owned a TRW M14, and a Reising Model 50 sub-gun. These shoots had some rather unique guns, like a ground mount Lewis gun, RPKs from various Soviet Bloc countries, American 177s, Italian Beretta sub-guns, and the usual assortment of Western military sub-guns from WWII on up.

In the early 1980's, I attended my only formal "shooting school", Gunsite.

I'm getting older now (70 in a few months), and feel comfortable that my outings to our local club's ranges keeps me in a condition to hit what I shoot at. Nor Recon, SEAL, or Delta good, but, I'm not going where they go, either.
    Last edited by JR; 03-05-2017 at 05:02 AM.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    1675 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hombre243 View Post
    I am glad you clarified that. I have no training for concealed carry. But I was potty trained before 8th grade.

Did Rickenbacher hack hombre243's account?
    ColoradoJim likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    I grew up in Texas out in the country, outside of city limits, so I have had more than my fair exposure to guns and explosives in general. Grew up shooting BB and paintball guns, moved on to shotguns when I was an early teenager. To get my LTC, I had required to do a 6 hour safety course and take a proficiency shooting test involving a standard silhouette target and 50 rounds of ammo, as my state requires. I don't really consider that to be enough though. I would at some point like to take a more in-depth shooting course... I know the Arms Room offers level 2 and 3 courses for like $75. I'm just not sure how worth it such courses are, but I do see some merit in learning to shoot in low light conditions and/or on the move. I can practice both with limitations in my back yard, but actually having a physical moving target could be very useful in learning true weapons proficiency. Not to mention the value of a professional instructor that can pickup on faults that I cannot easily detect.
    Cary Weapons:

Taurus PT140 G2
    | Remington Ult. Def. BJHP 180gr. | IWB | Clinger Stingray
    Beretta Px4 Storm Type F 9mm
    | Corbon JHP +P 115gr. | OWB | Blackhawk! Serpa CQC
    Bersa "Thunder-storm" .380 ACP | Hornady XTP 90gr. | Car Driver Door

Born and bred in Texas!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links