Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What Training Do You Have?

6K views 41 replies 38 participants last post by  Mark40 
#1 ·
Just curious what training, if any, did you get for carrying your weapon? Many years ago I started off with some co-workers shooting at an indoor range a few times a week and later became interested and involved in IPSC competitions. I have also spent many years hunting and of course had the hunter safety course when I was young. I haven't shot in competitions for the last 30 years and have been carrying about that amount of time, usually concealed carry. Lately I have been looking into some additional training with an eye towards force on force training. I may be old, but not too old to know I could always learn something and could use the additional experience. I'm still looking for a good force on force training facility in PA, so if anyone knows of one please share and if you've ever attended one I'd be interested in your take on it.

#2 ·
i was taught from the age of 6 by my grandpa and my NRA instructor uncle. By age 7, I had my first shotgun, a JC Higgins .410 pump, but I was 10 before I finally hit a dove with it...:laugh: I got my first rifle at age 9 and my first handgun at age 16. Over the years, mostly after 1980, I got involved in a few competitions, IDPA in the 90s and IHMSA about the same time, local shoots in the 80s and 90s with the club I belonged to. I took a NRA instructors course and was certified to teach rifle and handgun, only every used the rifle course certification helping with the 4H kids. I took one CCW course and 2 reups before the requirement was dropped for the reup course.

That's about it. I've hunted all my life, killed many critters, was sorta born with a gun in my hand. Firearms have never been strange to me, and hey, I was never even in the military.

Oh, I never took a hunter safety course, was grandfathered when Texas passed that requirement.

#3 ·
I barely handled a gun before the age of 18. In the Army, I discovered a deep and abiding appreciation for pretty much anything that goes boom and qualified expert in everything I could get my hands on, from the trusty rusty 1911 to the M9, M16A2, SAW, M60, .50BMG, LAW, M203, hand grenades, Mk19 (very fun!) .... fired and hit targets with the 25mm main gun of the Bradley... for 8 years.

The funny thing is that there wasn't really that much in depth weapons training. You learned more about taking them apart and cleaning them than any real deep marksmanship training. The material was provided and we were expected to absorb it. Pretty much everything else was picked up from a few of the guys who weren't shy about sharing their knowledge.

#5 ·
4 hour CC class and one all day defensive training class ( phew them young farts wore this old fart out ). But I learned some key things - correct un and re-holster, aiming under stress, safety,safety, how to shoot while moving ( I couldn't handle the ground shooting - just too much for the ole knees ) and a few other helpful tactics. Mostly learned how to shoot all day, and mostly hit the targets. This course was taught by two NRA instructors, one police officer, and one way too tactical supposed ex operator..That guy was the only downer , he had a very high regard for himself,,not so much regard for safety. I can truly say it was worth the $350 charge, as many of those techniques have transferred well to my daily carry and range time. If you can afford it you should get some training. This was in Springdale Arkansas.

#6 ·
Military, Work, shooting with local police ( they let me participate both as a bad guy with sim rounds and let me defend myself), shoot house, range time, videos, training under various conditions.
Shooting under stress: set up target 100 yards out. Sprint to target 5-10 yards, sweeting, heart beating fast, pull weapon and fire. Sometimes behind cover, outside in all kinds of weather. Grabbing weapon from a surrender position and making shots. My best friend is a cop, we took a blue gun, and put in the holster, we fought hand to hand and my goal was to pull my blue gun and get it in a position to make a shot. (real hits, simulating a real street fight), weapon retention (fighting over the gun). Sim rounds fired from a car (while being shot at with sim rounds.) I know nothing prepares you for the real thing. My thing is making it second nature no matter what so that when SHTF I react I don't think. With the fighting thing (most likely scenario) I can usually get my pistol and get it into a position where I could disable my attacker immediately. If you can find someone willing to put in the time and simulate things that may happen I think that would be the best. I know its not always practical and I have been hurt in the training. however, I believe it makes me more prepared if the real thing happens. List of injuries during training: Fractured hand, countless bruises, (I got shot in the side of the neck and the groin with a sim round, yes I cried), I have been knocked out, twisted ankle, but like I said, in a real world, no BS situation that's things that may happen and if you can not deal with it when training, it may affect you in the real scenario. I almost shot myself in the foot pulling my weapon from the surrender position. If you want more details PM me.

#7 ·
My training? A very envolved midwest police officer for a Dad. Started at a very early age operating firearms. He also taught us self defense with our own hands as well as weapons. More importantly he taught us what warrants lethal force. Then I joined tha military.

#29 ·
Did Rickenbacher hack hombre243's account?

Reactions: ColoradoJim
#9 ·
Been shooting since I was about 13 and I'm 63 now. That's about it. Never took a class involving firearms of any kind. Would love to take some structured classes on self defense but I doubt they'll ever come out here in the boonies.

Reactions: BigBlue
#11 · (Edited)
Formal training with the S&W Model 10, Remington 870P, and Colt AR-15 yearly for the last 26 Years. This year the Dept. replacing the revolver with the Glock 19.

I shot my first bull's eye at the age of 4 with a .22LR J. Stevens/Springfield single shot that I still own. It was my father's. He was a gun guy. I grew up hunting with that and a single shot 12 ga. shotgun, putting a lot of meat on the table with both. I bought my first lever action rifle when I was 19. My father had a good friend that was a gunsmith. I spent a lot of time there as a kid and learned a ton about the mechanics at an early age.

#13 ·
I actually learned to shoot in High School ROTC. Qualified with the 1911 and M14 in the Navy (back when they still taught that sort of thing). I've owned and shot firearms since the late 70s, but the closest thing to training for concealed carry was when I shot IDPA in the early 2000s.

#14 ·
Training is a great thing. Aside from the mandated 8 hour CCW training, I have attended two others. An 8 hour, 400 round, Low light training that focused on target identification, shooting, moving, clearing malfunctions, etc... in the dark and using a flashlight,

I also attended a shorter, force-on-force class based around shooting in and around a vehicle.

Moving forward i plan to take some sort of carbine and/or shotgun training as well.

#15 ·
Training classes cost big money and with the ammo you burn. I have no need to learn how to clear rooms and I've actually been a marksmanship trainer/coach, so I don't need to learn to shoot. I figure I can handle myself as well as the next guy if I need to. Main thing, though, is the cost/benefit analysis. What are the odds I'm ever going to have to draw my weapon on someone? Nil. If I ever do, I'll trust my self training/practice and my knowledge of firearms. Ain't like I don't practice things. I can shoot any time I walk out in my back yard. I'd rather spend the money I'd spend on this training of questionable worth on goose hunts this coming fall. :D

But, to each his own and YMMV.

Reactions: Brian845
#31 ·
You are right about the training costing big money. As I stated, I am happy that the local PD has allowed me to train with them and has allowed their officer (my friend) and myself use their facilities on personal time. Training is a great thing however, I do not believe any amount of training can really prepare you or anyone else for the real thing. I am hoping that countless hours of training will pay off if the one day something god forbid happens. Times are getting tough and people are getting desperate it seems we have had a large spike in theft, robbery, and other crimes in my small community lately. It wouldn't surprise me if I did have to use my weapon to defend myself or my family or even assist a police officer. I just hope muscle memory is a real thing and my body reacts to the given situation with little to any thought. I have been in a few circumstances where I have almost used my weapon however, by the grace of god I didn't have to. 1. Previous post, some young punk was getting ready to rob me, I exposed my weapon, he turned tail and went and got someone else. 2. Local Gas station, few thugs came in after I did around midnight, I was watching them in the little dome mirror and they where acting suspicious while I was talking to the cashier. really nice older lady. I lifted up my shirt exposed my weapon and had my hand resting on it while watching them. I seen one in the dome pointing and talking to the other one and they all left. 3. This time my neighbor was messed up on something come knocking on my door at 2 AM while I was playing call of duty, had his hand in his jacket pocket, telling me he wanted his lawn mower, he was going to mow his yard. I told him he had about 5 seconds to get off my porch. My wife called the police, he reached down and tried to open my door and I stood their waiting on him to make a stupid ass move to try and come into the house, police showed up and arrested him. (He has since been evicted from the rental property next door) So while, I am happy with training, I train for a day that will hopefully never come. I am ready and I wish that every one had the opportunity to train, and practice with little cost.

#16 ·
10 years Military, CCW and several SD with and without firearms classes. I've also done some training with a local deputy who teaches defensive skills - one example: putting obstacles in the indoor range, setting a 3 or 4 full body silhouettes up and putting me in the range. 10 seconds later turning the lights off and I have to shoot and remember where obstacles and the target and shoot the targets, only light available is the flash of the gun. Kind of interesting results.

#17 ·
Nope, never had any formal firearm training other than my Father who served in the military. My brother and I hunted squirrels and such with our .22 rifles when we were 10 or 12 years old on my Grandpa's farm in East Texas. Years later that escalated to waterfowl, deer, and hog hunting.

#18 · (Edited)
8 to 16, I hunting with my Stepdad and Grand Dad. Taught to handle firearms and shoot when I was big enough to pick one up.
18 to 22, basic firearms training by my Uncle Sam who then sent me around the world to see how everyone else lives.
23 to 30, pretty much hunting, reloading and began shooting ISPC and competing in local silhouette. Became an NRA Instructor.
31, I attended the Firearms Instructor Course in Charlotte NC to instruct private security. Attended advanced firearms training for Contingency Team at Nuclear Power Stations at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth Mass. and East Milford, Conn.
33, I attended the Firearm Instructor Course in New River VA. to instruct private security in Va.
40, Attended CO Training at Salemburg NC.
35 to 55, I shot ISPC and got into Sporting Clay Shooting and hunted alot. Renewed NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO Certification.
62 to now, Became a NC Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor, attended the school in Salemburg NC.

#19 ·
In the words of Bill Murray in Stripes,​ "Aaarmy training, Sir!"

Reactions: Woody USSLUCE
#20 ·
My training consisted of going squirrel, rabbit and deer hunting with my Dad. He would go all day and not say six words. I always wondered why he never missed a shot at anything and could see things I could not. I found his military records a couple of months ago (he died in 1972) and I found he was an expert machine gunner and army marksman in WWII and fought in the Campaign of New Britian. There was a good reason he was discharged with "Shell Shock" that is now known as PTSD.

#22 ·
Not as much as I'd like. I didn't even start shooting until I was 56. I started with a basic pistol course and then took a couple hours with a local retired LEO/instructor. Other than that I have shot a fair amount of IDPA type shooting. One day if I can afford it I will take a longer training class. I think it can only benefit me.

#24 ·
For me just the course required for the CWP other than what I learned from my father growing up.. I had planned to take more, but am a long distance from formal gun ranges and has not worked out. I did take marksmanship in Jr. High School.

However my son attended Project Appleseed offered in St. Augustine Florida this past year. Said the shooting part of the course was intense, made him very tired each night. Teaches the history of militia, some not well known facts as well. I still hope to attend with him theis next year if I get over my current illness.

Project Appleseed | Ancient City Shooting Range

Reactions: darbo
#27 · (Edited)
Primary and advanced defensive pistol, 12 hours CCW training, Licensed Security Officer training. Looking to take a Primary Defensive Carbine course in April. The same school offers force-on-force classes with Simunitions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.