Cocked unlocked pocket rocket
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Cocked unlocked pocket rocket

Member #
    Liked
    604 times
    So I have been carrying my RUGER LCP2 for a little over a week in my front pocket or rear hip pocket. The gun is labeled as a SINGLE ACTION ONLY gun with no firing pin block.

But upon further examination I have found that the gun is more like 95% cocked. Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer just a little more and then the sear releases. So IMO this is not the same as a fully cocked single action where the trigger ONLY actuated the seat to release the hammer. It cocks it over then breaks loose. Much like a Glock or a Springfield polymer pistol.

I have no qualms pocket carrying this thing but I have read others do. I just wanted to clear this up for those who don't know how the gun works.

Member #
    Liked
    21744 times
    Unless they've got it so precisely engineered that 95% cocked doesn't provide enough energy to ever set off a primer, then the 95% not 100% wouldn't make a difference to me. I doubt they are that precise...
    YOT, Bellows1 and ColoradoJim like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Hello,
    The ONLY safe way to pocket carry ANY firearm,unless a true single action such as NAA,is to have it inside a pocket holster.Other wise anything can and WILL get inside that trigger guard and you will NOT like that out come.YMMV.
    Hikup41
    Quote Originally Posted by aznboi3644 View Post
    So I have been carrying my RUGER LCP2 for a little over a week in my front pocket or rear hip pocket. The gun is labeled as a SINGLE ACTION ONLY gun with no firing pin block.

But upon further examination I have found that the gun is more like 95% cocked. Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer just a little more and then the sear releases. So IMO this is not the same as a fully cocked single action where the trigger ONLY actuated the seat to release the hammer. It cocks it over then breaks loose. Much like a Glock or a Springfield polymer pistol.

I have no qualms pocket carrying this thing but I have read others do. I just wanted to clear this up for those who don't know how the gun works.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20952 times
    Oh no, not another "My carry method is safer than yours" thread...

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    MOLON LABE

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11252 times
    I use a pocket holster for my TCP. Front pocket for slacks, back pocket for jeans. It has a tendency to move around without the pocket holster, hence I always use one.
    mingaa and Panda like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    23469 times
    Yep - pocket holster is a given for me.
    45 Forever, FreeInAZ and 230JHP like this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7308 times
    I'm for a pocet holster also, especially with a gun without a safety. Just a chapstick could be a very bad nightmare!!!!! IMO
    RobThatsMe likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6979 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    I'm for a pocet holster also, especially with a gun without a safety. Just a chapstick could be a very bad nightmare!!!!! IMO
    My Rule- (Doesn't have to be your rule...) is that there are only two items allowed in the carry pocket- a good pocket holster and its firearm. Chapsticks, etc., not allowed.
    CWB, Car_Doc, 45 Forever and 6 others like this.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." - Alexis de Tocqueville
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon
    Nemo me impune lacessit
    ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    NRA Member
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Yup what he said^^^^^
    Hikup41
    Quote Originally Posted by coopercdrkey View Post
    My Rule- (Doesn't have to be your rule...) is that there are only two items allowed in the carry pocket- a good pocket holster and its firearm. Chapsticks, etc., not allowed.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    22371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    What a strange concept. I own two pistols that don't have a safety and they are both revolvers.

And I agree with 45 forever. The only thing I have in my pocket with my PT709 is my hand, and I carry the 709 with a round in the chamber, uncocked, with the safety on.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links