Cocked unlocked pocket rocket - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Cocked unlocked pocket rocket

YOT
    Member #
    Liked
    2674 times
    Warnings, high dollar law suits, and recalls are usually a direct result of user ignorance, rarely poor manufacturing. They put a low oil pressure idiot light on the dashboard of a car for people that can't comprehend the idea of a dipstick.
    45 Forever likes this.
    "It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    18450 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    How do you get the 709 to double action with a round in the chamber?
    I sent you a video in a PM of how to do it. If you have any questions, PM me.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    17923 times
    I'll stick with my revolvers and DAO autos for a pocket. They're both carried in a pocket holster. They both take a long, somewhat heavy DA pull and both hammers are unloaded while at rest. I do have a DA pocket pistol, a Radom P64, but don't carry it a lot and when I do, it's hammer down decocked DA.
    AZM66 likes this.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector

Member #
    Liked
    20084 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    It's funny that after 35 years of Glocks, many with 3# triggers, anyone could still muster any conversation about safeties.

To me, the only safety that matters in carrying is the one between your ears.
    No matter how long it's been since Glocks went on sale, some of us will insist on thinking for ourselves.

The thing between my ears isn't infallible. Consequently, I try to avoid putting myself in situations that require perfection on my part.
    CWB, YOT, Bellows1 and 2 others like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    18450 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    It's funny that after 35 years of Glocks, many with 3# triggers, anyone could still muster any conversation about safeties. *Snip*
    The instrument has yet to be invented that is capable of detecting how little I care about Glocks.
    NativeTexan and G8R8U2 like this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    7728 times
    I used Glock as an example, not as a recommendation. Like it, or not, (and I don't) there are tens of thousands of them walking about in the pockets of their owners even as we speak. WITH a round in the chamber. Yet, despite the wonders if the Errornet, they haven't been simply going off if basic safety is used. Back to that safety between the ears.

It's the "basic safety in operation" that I was pointing out. We train to not put our finger on the trigger until ready to shoot, no matter how dire the circumstances, but then extol the long, double-action, pull of a revolver-like trigger as "all the safety we need". Then pointing out that one "may forget" to release a mechanical safety. I maintain that training is training, and muscle memory is just that. Releasing safeties, especially frame-mounted 1911 style safeties, is easily trained into that same muscle memory.

For striker-fired guns, especially those with hammer-block internal safeties, you pretty much need a finger on that trigger to make the gun fire. Anyone stupid enough to carry a gun, no matter the type, in a pocket along with anything else besides a holster is violating both common sense, and training. It isn't the gun that is faulty there.

As for the safety between the ears. If you can't trust it in gun handling, then what does that say about trusting it in any other responsible situation? Nobody is infallible, but we're once again heading off into those gaming scenarios where we "what if" everything beyond anything resembling real life.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    17923 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    No matter how long it's been since Glocks went on sale, some of us will insist on thinking for ourselves.

The thing between my ears isn't infallible. Consequently, I try to avoid putting myself in situations that require perfection on my part.
    I cannot agree more with this logic. Murphy rules.
    GhostHorse and 45 Forever like this.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M605 Poly Protector

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    17923 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    I sent you a video in a PM of how to do it. If you have any questions, PM me.
    Wow, would this work for the PT145 or ANY Taurus with second strike capability? I LOVED the PT145, light and nearly pocket sized, yet 10 round mags. Too bad Taurus quit building 'em. BUT, I didn't like the single action of 'em. If you could load the gun, maybe disassembled?, without the striker cocking and pull the first shot with the second strike DA, THAT would solve the conundrum for me. I could be a new Taurus striker auto fan.

For striker-fired guns, especially those with hammer-block internal safeties, you pretty much need a finger on that trigger to make the gun fire. Anyone stupid enough to carry a gun, no matter the type, in a pocket along with anything else besides a holster is violating both common sense, and training. It isn't the gun that is faulty there.
    Do you wear a shirt with shirt tail out? Do you holster that gun with that shirt on? Have you ever lapsed you concentration.....oh, wait, we're talking about JR the perfect, here. Sorry, move on.....
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 01-11-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M605 Poly Protector

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    7728 times
    Do you wear a shirt with shirt tail out? Do you holster that gun with that shirt on? Have you ever lapsed you concentration.....oh, wait, we're talking about JR the perfect, here. Sorry, move on.....
    The title of the thread is cocked, unlocked, pocket rocket. It deals with pocket carry of small guns. To wit, the LCPII. Are you asking a question about holstering a pocket carried gun while wearing an un-tucked shirt? Are we carrying "Fitz Specials", and ignoring the condition of that shirt? That isn't a lapse in concentration. That IS, instead, a safety violation headed for a negligent discharge.

FYI, competent instructors advise that one remove the now empty holster from the pocket, re-holster the gun, and place the combination back in the pocket.

In the 50+ years that I've been carrying concealed firearms, I've never shot myself, had a negligent discharge, or had anyone else inadvertently injured by my gun-handling. That reaches back to the mid-1960's, when the choices were far fewer, and different.

If that makes me "perfect, so be it. Apparently, that upsets some.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    17923 times
    If you're going to carry a Glock in a pocket, I'd recommend a hard holster and holstering the gun before putting it in your pocket. Things like shirt tails can follow the gun into a pocket, too, and soft holsters are a no, no for safety. My Blackhawk number 3 wouldn't do.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M605 Poly Protector

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links