Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Which Taurus Model is best for concealed carry?

6K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  brojohn 
#1 ·
I currently have a 24/7 Pro 9mm but it is so large that it is difficult to carry. Which model would be best to carry in the 9mm? I have looked at the PT111 and liked the size and feel of it. Any inout would be welcomed.

#2 ·
Concealed carry is a very personal issue. What works for one person doesn't work for someone else. This also applies to the method of concealed carry also. Some prefer IWB other OWB. It generally takes most folks a bit of experimentation to find the right gun and carry combo that best suits their needs. I like to carry a small pocket sized pistol as a back up, and a medium sized pistol OWB. I'd suggest that you go to your local dealer and handle a few different guns and try and decide on a method of carry before you go. Pick a size and style of gun that will work best for you and one that you can carry when you go out. The only gun that doesn't work for ccw is the one that you leave at home.

#3 ·
You'll get almost as many opinions as there are members here. The Millennium series of pistols make excellent choices for concealed carry. Just my opinion of course. BigSkiff sums thing up quite nicely.

#4 ·
I think if they ever actually release the PT709, it might be hard to beat. Until then, any of the snub revolvers or the Mil Pro line, and the 24/7 Pro C line, would be outstanding.

#6 ·
Smokewagon said:
You'll get almost as many opinions as there are members here. The Millennium series of pistols make excellent choices for concealed carry. Just my opinion of course. BigSkiff sums thing up quite nicely.
Smoke is absolutely correct. Sometimes I carry my rather large PT92 or PT99, but I don't have problems with it.

For just running to the store and back, basically I'll carry my 85UL... it's light almost like it's not there, but 5 rounds of +P 124gr Golden Sabers will do the trick any time.

#7 ·
I carry my PT145 on my hip. I have a bud who has one who wears his in an ankle holster. For me that only works if I pull out the jeans from the 70 & 80's with the bell bottoms. *grin*

But I can also carry a full sized pistol on my hip. It actually hides easier as it is thinner. Plus the full size hides better in my vest than my PT145. The 145 doesn't show as a definite GUN but it rather looks like a decent sized kind of square looking blob in the vest.

Sarge

#9 ·
Wish I could claim it but a bud of mine said it. He thought I had a book or something in that pocket. Considering I can read about 2.5 books a day it could have been.

Right now I don't carry it there tho. Need some weight to offset it. *grin* Or I get lopsided. Like one of the old cartoons with the dude with one huge arm and chest compared to the other side due to self pleasuring shall we say.

Sarge

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input. I received my CCW just on 12/29/08. I am starting to get comfortable with carrying. It is definitely a psychological adjustment though. But it is starting to feel normal. I think I may try to carry my 9mm. a while longer to see if it gets any easier. Thanks again. Anybody else want to input I would welcome that as well.

#13 ·
Steelheart said:
Have you tried putting your spare ammo on the off side? It won't be enough by itself but a loaded mag or two will help.

Steelheart
Yep. Not even close. The pistol is 20.5 oz's empty (provided I'm remembering correctly) and one mag is not even close.

Talked to a gent last night here who has the same vest and it appears that part of the problem is the vest is still very new. Once it gets some highway miles, dirt, grime, rain and such on it most problems like that will work out. We'll see. Hope so cause it is way easier to carry there than on my hip.

Sarge

#16 ·
Count me in as a fan of the PT111. I have been carrying one for a short time now and I think it is great. As always, a quality belt makes carrying any gun easier.

#17 ·
I'm an admitted "wheelgun" man, carrying my new titanium model 85 and 2 speedloaders of hollowpoints, but my Millenium 9mm is a nice carry piece, sometimes I have both, an ankle rig and a front strong side pocket holster. I'd like a nice Galco SPD118 for my new 6-shot .357 and I'd tote that around under a jacket or untucked shirt. As was well said, it is a very personal choice, and one that is to be considered in light of what gun you would be most comfortable with in a high stess situation and that means able to present and fire accurately repeatedly. Food for thought.

#18 ·
pastorm said:
I currently have a 24/7 Pro 9mm but it is so large that it is difficult to carry. Which model would be best to carry in the 9mm? I have looked at the PT111 and liked the size and feel of it. Any inout would be welcomed.
I carry my PT145 or my PT140 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster when I'm running errands around town. When I go to work and have to wear a jacket, I carry my 24/7 Pro DS .45 in a shoulder holster because it it so much more comfortable than a belt holster and it doesn't snag holes in my jacket when I bang into office furniture. You'll probably end up like a lot of us here and have several different options available for carry before you settle on the ones you like best. :D

#19 ·
I have a Taurus 605 and a Pt111 available to me for CCW. I find the small frame revolver more versatile as a ccw. It can be carried IWB, OWB, or in the pocket with no problem. The Pt111 has to be dressed around a bit more to work.

#21 ·
I have been carrying a CZ75D PCR most of the time ,as the 70 series Colt is a bit big in some cases for conceakment ease. I picked up and handled a Taurus PT 745C the other nite at the shop. that little 45 would fit in my hip pkt. as I'ts not a pretty gun it is very well suited for a carry 45. Anyone have any info/ experience with this model. it's used and i can get under 3C notes out the door. i've read posts on saftey issues and mags dropping etc. I called Taurus today and they claimed they knew nothing about these issues. I'm aware they replaces mags and repaier safties so that call didn't sit well with me.--RR--

#22 ·
I just recently acquired a PT745 and love it. Only about 60 rounds have been pumped through it but no issues. It feeds FMJ, Winchester HP and 185gr Sierra HP handloads without a hiccup.

I think the dropped magazine issue is with a different model (PT145) and haven't heard about the safety issue.

MikeyB

#23 ·
Either the PT709 or the PT111 could work for you since your used to the SA/DA triggers already.

The PT709 is a single stack and easy to carry,hide, and maybe grip if your hands are small. Round count isn't always as important as being able to hit the target with what you carry. Granted, round count is important to a degree. We can never carry enough ammo, but concelament counts for more here and the PT709 does carry enough rounds as is or with a spare mag or two for most situations. The PT709 carries 7+1 rounds.

Most of the popular single stack pistols carry that amount of ammo anyway.Some carry 1 round more. No biggy.

For example snub revolvers don't carry that many rounds, but in-the-know professionals and civilians are buying them up in large quantities. There's been a resurgence for snubs as of late. So round count isn't everything.

On the other hand the PT111 is a bit thicker ( a bit harder to conceal), but has the comforting 12+1 rounds on tap. Might fit your hands and grasp better than the 709.

An extra spare mag alone for the PT111 gives you 25 cartridges total (one round in the chamber already) and not a bad thing to have.

Weight difference between the PT111 and the PT709 is a mere few tenths of ounces. Depends on the model of each chosen, but the weight category difference is negligible.

Other popular guns like the Kahr K9,MK9 or the S&W 3913 can fill the bill as well. However you are already well aquainted with the Taurus DA/SA trigger. It takes a different mind set and training to get used to the Kahr's and S&W triggers. Not that it can't be done. Just that it will take the much more practice, training and mindset to become proficient with another trigger type.

I do have a PT111 Mil/pro and love it. On the other hand where I live does not have CCW carry yet. And I prefer single stack pistols. In the future I may get a PT709, but for right now either the PT111 or my SIG P6 gets carried while on the property. SIG P6s are larger than PT111s or PT709s.

Being a hefty and short means that a single stack hides on me better than a double column one will. And it's more comfortable to carry and easier to shoot for me. Your case may be not like mine.

Which ever example fits you better and can be shot well is the one to pick.

#26 ·
I also carry the 111. Thats why I got it.
I like it, but for gp concealed carry I feel its too bulky for me, and too heavy -nearly 30 oz loaded. So, I'm still searching for the best small concealed carry pistol. I do not believe the 709 will be any improvement. I carried a Beretta Cheetah for years. The 111 gave me more power and more rounds-but thats the only +.
I live on the Gulf Coast-so its pretty warm and humid here 9-10 months out of the year. I rarely wear a coat or jacket. Mostly an overshirt when its cool. I always dress light. A few oz and frame shape can make a difference when you carry all day in a hot humid climate.
The 111 will be my carry gun until I find something better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.