Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Knife

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Pocket Knife

Are pocket knives considered concealed weapons? I have always carried a sharp pocket knife for years for work and whatever else I need it for. I know a lot of guys who carry a pocket knife and don't have a CCW. What do you think? can the police harass you for carrying a pocket knife?   
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
    -George Washington

Member NRA
    http://WWW.AmericanGunowners.net http://concealedcarryforum.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Pocket Knife

in idaho it does LEGALLY count as a concealed weapon but our law is defined loosey so if you have a pen in your pocket and stab someone with it it was a concealed weapon, no one enforces it or cares and it would never hold up in court.
    Taurus millenium Pro PT111
    2 Ruger 10/22
    Browning Buckmark
    Winchester pre 64 30-30
    remington 30-06
    glock 27
    Wasr 10 AK-47
    ruger bearcat

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10444 times

In Texas, they are weapons, but only illegal to carry if the blade is 5.5 inches or longer. Anything used to assault someone is considered a weapon.....a phone, a pen, a rolled up newspaper, anything.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

I think this depends on where you are. In most areas a 3" blade is fine but much over that and you could run into issues.

And since I do know of a 7.5" folding knife (as well as several 6" ones) the fact that it's a folding knife doesn't mean much.

Oh, I'll add that I only carry lock blade type knives. It's not worth it to worry about it closing on me when I'm using it.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

KY, has limits on knives, but your CC license covers you carrying a knife, just like a gun. Though if you do not have knife training, your probably better to not try to use it as your defense weapon.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    20201 times

"Knife laws" vary from state to state.

A quick call to "your" county's state attorney's office should give you the answer you're looking for.

MOONDAWG
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

In Colorado as far as I know(and I'm not up on knife laws the way I am gun and concealed carry), as long as it's 3.5in blade or smaller(overall length of knife doesn't matter) it's o.k. to have in your pocket. It's the blade length they worry about here in Colorado. All of my knives turn into easy 7in overall length when extended.

Anything over 3.5in blade has to be in "open carry" type situation. Meaning, in a sheath or scabbard on your belt in plain view. You can carry hunting knives or military knives open but it does tend to weird out some of the whiny anti-gun/knife crowd.

But as long as you are in compliance with the law, screw what others think.
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM"

"The Strongest Reason for the People to Retain Their Right to Keep and Bear Arms is as a Last Resort to Protect Themselves Against Tyranny in Government" - Thomas Jefferson

"So we make our stand and pray, On this Declaration Day, For independence I will fight, With liberty I will defy, So we make our stand and pray, On this Declaration Day Give me liberty or give me death, I'll fight 'till my last breath"

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Hope this helps knife laws vary state to state heres a website posting them.

Knife Laws of the 50 States (and D.C.)

http://www.ebladestore.com/knife-laws-50-states.shtml
    NRA Member -- USCCA Member -- www.floridaconcealedcarry.com

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3956 times

Wow. I guess I've been illegal since I was a kid.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Orlandodriver, thanks for the link, MO laws on knives, if I read it right, says my pocket knife is legal, it's what they describe as an ordinary pocket knife with a blade length less than 4 inches.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
    -George Washington

Member NRA
    http://WWW.AmericanGunowners.net http://concealedcarryforum.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links