Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: First Flight With Pistol

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    I fly with a gun a lot, mostly around the southeast to and from gun friendly states. Many states require all guns brought into airports by non-LEO be unloaded and in a locked case. The TSA cannot mandate you open the locked case in those states. they are not supposed to ask you to open the case anywhere. You also cannot use a TSA lock on the gun case, but you must use a TSA lock on the outer baggage. Some TSA folks like to make up their own standards. For example, there is a skinny witch in Raleigh that believes if she can unlatch your case and stick her finger in deep enough to touch the gun, that disqualifies the case. Nice little last second "gotcha".
    Sekol likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Just got back from a vacation road trip from Tampa Bay, Florida to Las Vegas, Nevada. First time out West for us. My Mom lives in Henderson, NV. The wife and I were able to carry concealed in every US state except Nevada. I had my PT111 G2 and the wife had her PT22. Nevada ended Reciprocity with Florida in 2009. But I contacted the Nevada highway patrol before our trip and got an email back stating it was fine to keep the guns inside the car. We had our two little doggies with us on our trip. It is hard to find a motel that accepts pets in a safe neighborhood. Two choices. La Quinta or Motel 6. We called the motels prior to checking in and asked if they were in a safe neighborhood. They said Yes. But some lied. We ran into some ghetto areas where we stayed. Amarillo, TX, Albuquerque, NM and Elk City, OK. Boy, I am glad we were Taurus armed. Towards the end of our trip we got smart and used the GPS to find motels and did a drive by before we checked in. We covered 6,350 miles round trip. We toured the Country in my restored 91 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. It was a long trip but we got to see the Country and enjoyed our right to be armed.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Flashman; 09-26-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: addition
    ozzy, btleslie, Sekol and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8699 times
    Grew up in commieforniastan, left there 18 years ago. That's a l I have to say. Name:  forrest_gump_all_i_have_to_say.png
Views: 2173
Size:  426.7 KB
    btleslie and Magnum_Gauge like this.
    Evil Is Powerless If The Good Are Unafraid. Ronald Reagan
    The Government Is Not The Solution To The Problem, The Government Is The Problem. Ronald Reagan
    Impeach king barack hussein obama
    I Will Not Comply ! Go Pound Sand !
    Hey everyone carry whether it's legal or not, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    I purchased a TSA approved gun box. Did my research, too.

Part of owning and carrying a gun is carrying ALL the time it is legal to do so, not just when you feel like it. With that in mind, I made my decision to bring my gun with me on my trip. I will not carry where the laws says I can't.

California laws states it is legal to have an unloaded gun, in a locked box, in the trunk of the car (a lot of good it does there). Also, unloaded and in a locked box in your residence, as long as there is no legal reason you can't own a gun.

"California Penal Code section 25610 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code sections 16850."

Air travel is governed by TSA.

Gun will be in the box and in the car or condo. Not going to carry.
    Go4Soda likes this.
    Mike in Mid-Missouri

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living" from: gbusmech

"A Society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither....
    and lose both" Benjamin Franklin
    Criminals prefer unarmed Victims....Dictators prefer unarmed Citizens
    "Cover me, I'm changing lanes!"

Member #
    Liked
    15079 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Just got back from a vacation road trip from Tampa Bay, Florida to Las Vegas, Nevada. First time out West for us. My Mom lives in Henderson, NV. The wife and I were able to carry concealed in every US state except Nevada. I had my PT111 G2 and the wife had her PT22. Nevada ended Reciprocity with Florida in 2009. But I contacted the Nevada highway patrol before our trip and got an email back stating it was fine to keep the guns inside the car. We had our two little doggies with us on our trip. It is hard to find a motel that accepts pets in a safe neighborhood. Two choices. La Quinta or Motel 6. We called the motels prior to checking in and asked if they were in a safe neighborhood. They said Yes. But some lied. We ran into some ghetto areas where we stayed. Amarillo, TX, Albuquerque, NM and Elk City, OK. Boy, I am glad we were Taurus armed. Towards the end of our trip we got smart and used the GPS to find motels and did a drive by before we checked in. We covered 6,350 miles round trip. We toured the Country in my restored 91 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. It was a long trip but we got to see the Country and enjoyed our right to be armed.
    Nice Caddy.
    Flashman likes this.
    Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your targets
    Reduce them to shreds
    Reuse shoot them more than once
    Recycle whatever is left over

24/7 Pro C 40 S&W PT1911 45 ACP 738 TCP 380 ACP PT111 SS Model 66 .357
    About me - I take very little seriously especially myself.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupid is the refusal to do anything about it.

Member #
    Liked
    10577 times
    Flashman - now THAT is the way to travel! That looks like one "sweet" ride to me! Bet those fur babies had a good ride, too!
    Flashman likes this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!

Maryland is for Crabs!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7103 times
    I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers and TSA. I have had things taken from checked bags in the past: golf balls, a belt. Hate to open my suitcase and find the gun gone!

Taurus PT1911 SS .45 Beretta 92 FS type M9A1
    Taurus 66 SS 4" .357 Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Taurus Tracker 990 SS 6" .22 Mossberg 500 12 gauge
    The government can't make poor people richer, but it can make rich people poorer

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    The most critical part of carring a gun on a plane is you have to declare it to the ticket agent & the agent has to complete the paper work, flying out of Brownville last year i had to declare that i had a unloaded firearm twice before it registered with the agent what i was saying.
    They made us many promises, more than i can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
    Red Cloud

Member #
    Liked
    1463 times
    Thanks for the report. Good information.
    dogchild likes this.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it,
    --- George Bernard Shaw
    Success and failure are equally disastrous
    ------ Tennessee WIlliams
    Both the man of science and the man of action live at the edge of mystery, surrounded by it.
    ------ J. Robert Oppenheimer

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    The gun box gets cabled to the bars for the pull-out handle. Would have to empty the entire suitcase to pull the bars loose from the frame. Same thing in the car - cabled to the trunk hinge, or other hard mounted piece.

Ticket agent was right on top of it when I declared a weapon. He had to go to the end of the counter to get the "card". I filled it out, signed and dated it and put it on top of the gun box. I carried the bag over to the scanner and handed it off.
    Mike in Mid-Missouri

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living" from: gbusmech

"A Society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither....
    and lose both" Benjamin Franklin
    Criminals prefer unarmed Victims....Dictators prefer unarmed Citizens
    "Cover me, I'm changing lanes!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links