Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Women shooting while pregnant...yes? or no? and why

MISS MODERATOR

Member #
    Liked
    5356 times

Question Women shooting while pregnant...yes? or no? and why

Here's a question we have not discussed yet. I am curious, is it safe for a pregnant woman to shoot? I have no idea and would like all your thoughts. I attempted to google this question first to see if I could find some good info on the subject, only to come across a lot of debate and not any actual facts.

My major concerns are noise, lead and of course accidents. What says you?
    TexasAviator likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7292 times
    Miss Kitty....are you trying to tell us something?

I do know that when the wife was pregnant with our twins we went to the Tractor Pulls one weekend. She said they kicked something fierce, come to think of it they may have landed a good kick to the head of the other....that could explain a few things from their teenage years.

Actually that is a pretty good question you asked!!!
    A Dead Skunk smells no better than a Live Skunk........Sometimes things plain out right STINK!!!!!!.

Only a few hours @ Sandy Lake, but a Life Time of Memories with friends!!!

MISS MODERATOR

Member #
    Liked
    5356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    Miss Kitty....are you trying to tell us something?

I do know that when the wife was pregnant with our twins we went to the Tractor Pulls one weekend. She said they kicked something fierce, come to think of it they may have landed a good kick to the head of the other....that could explain a few things from their teenage years.

Actually that is a pretty good question you asked!!!
    Ha!

Having given this a lot of thought, I'm thinking early on it would be safe given that you wash your hands well, maybe have someone else handle the ammo for you? Stick to lower calibers, shoot at out door ranges. I'm not sure about later on. Like you stated about your wife. When I was pregnant with my son we went to an auto race. It was not pleasant for either of us. I thought he was going to kick his way out before we left. So I know the baby can hear pretty well in utero, but is the noise from shooting to much? That I don't know.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Stay out of indoor shooting ranges. You risk more lead exposure than shooting outdoors.
    dbeardslee and MissKitty like this.
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Member #
    Liked
    12261 times
    I'd be concerned about the lead too. When you fire a bullet that isn't enclosed at the base, it vaporizes lead off the back of the bullet that goes into the air. If you're indoors you're going to breath it. You could reduce the risk by shooting total jacket bullets, but if the guy on the lane next to you doesn't have total jackets you're still going to have lead in the air. Best to be outdoors and upwind of the muzzle, if it's possible.

The other thing is the sound. Sound travels four times faster in water than it does in air, and your body is 70% water. I don't know if it poses a risk to an unborn's hearing, but I can see where it could. JAT
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    13712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Here's a question we have not discussed yet. I am curious, is it safe for a pregnant woman to shoot? I have no idea and would like all your thoughts. I attempted to google this question first to see if I could find some good info on the subject, only to come across a lot of debate and not any actual facts.

My major concerns are noise, lead and of course accidents. What says you?
    My youngest daughter was an officer with a state police agency while she was pregnant.
    Even though she loved going to the range, her OB wrote a letter to her HR department that asked that she be exempted from her quarterly qualifications (.40 Glock 22) because of the noise.
    The OB told my daughter that the loud noise would not be good for the baby.

MISS MODERATOR

Member #
    Liked
    5356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    I'd be concerned about the lead too. When you fire a bullet that isn't enclosed at the base, it vaporizes lead off the back of the bullet that goes into the air. If you're indoors you're going to breath it. You could reduce the risk by shooting total jacket bullets, but if the guy on the lane next to you doesn't have total jackets you're still going to have lead in the air. Best to be outdoors and upwind of the muzzle, if it's possible.

The other thing is the sound. Sound travels four times faster in water than it does in air, and your body is 70% water. I don't know if it poses a risk to an unborn's hearing, but I can see where it could. JAT
    Excellent points!

Member #
    Liked
    9372 times
    I would not want to risk it. Found this link, which is very similar to a baby development book we got in 1992. Loud Noises During Pregnancy
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    12261 times
    I'll add this as it pertains to sound - not only is it best to be outdoors, but outdoors in the open. Gunfire is much louder indoors than outdoors, but if you're shooting from a structure (like a covered range) you're still going to get a lot of sound reflected back at you. I just noticed that the other day when I was shooting at my club's plinking range. It's maybe forty feet across, with walls on two sides and a roof. I had been shooting there for a couple hours and decided to move closer to the target, so I moved out from under cover and away from the roof. The first thing I noticed was how much the sound was reduced. It really does make a huge difference. But I have to agree with those that suggest hanging up your guns 'till the baby comes. It just flat doesn't seem worth the risk, and it's an opportune time to put the baby's safety first. It's not all bad though - just think of all the ammo you could amass in nine months.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I would be more concerned about the noise than anything. That alone would make me skip the event.
    Chance of an accident?.....certainly a concern.
    Lead?....its the wrong kind. It will not hurt you unless someone is shooting it at you.
    MissKitty likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links