Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Women shooting while pregnant...yes? or no? and why

14K views 88 replies 48 participants last post by  Steyr 
#1 ·
Here's a question we have not discussed yet. I am curious, is it safe for a pregnant woman to shoot? I have no idea and would like all your thoughts. I attempted to google this question first to see if I could find some good info on the subject, only to come across a lot of debate and not any actual facts.

My major concerns are noise, lead and of course accidents. What says you?

#42 ·
Once a year the OSHA comes out during one of my agencie's quarterly weapons qualifications on our outdoor ranges and makes the instructors wear lead sampling "sniffers", and sound detectors which's data are down loaded into their computers hourly.

This test has been going on for 10 years. So far the "air borne lead" samples have been well within the "safe for human" zone. The sound tests indicate what we already know, IT'S LOUD and hearing protection is mandatory for all personnel. Double protection (plugs & muffs) strongly suggested for the instructors.

If the RO's and shooters are practicing safe gun handling I see no reason why a pregnant woman couldnt participate in the shooting sports.

#43 ·
OSHA... What a truly useless agency, I wasn't aware they were armed!

#44 ·
I apologize to Quicks Draw for the way my last post sounds- certainly not my intent.

Let me re-prhase:
I know there has been tons of data collected and analyzed over the past few years concerning potential lead hazards in all compounds containing any form of lead. As we know we have had terrible problems with paint and gasoline. But that is a different lead- not the common element found naturally in the ground that we refine and make bullets out of.
I know scientists can measure lead traces from fired bullets, and can even detect measurable amounts in humans. I know since it can be detected, that raises concern that it may be hazardous. But I believe thats as far as the danger goes- we know its there. I don't remember any study that has directly linked lead (pb) in bullets to illness. But- I haven't tried to find one either.

#46 ·
The only lead poisoning I worry about at the range are the newbies who sometimes show up... :D

#49 ·
This is an intresting subject that has come up before at our local range. Children and pregnant women are more susceptable to lead leves in the bloodstream by inhaling lead particles. There were a number of articles discussed by ACPO (Asociation of Chife Police Officers) on this very subject. I though I had saved them on my PC but cant seem to find them anywere. However this is a good online acticle and covering pregnancy and shooting and acceptable noise limits that HSE (Health and Saftey executive) advise to employers when women are pregnant. The levels are far lower than the muzzle report on most firearms

Shooting while pregnant

Hope the info helps

#51 ·
Even if lead is a problem...........the noise is even more so-not only for the mom, but for baby.
I would strongly recommend against being around a gunshot unnecessarily while expecting. A range trip or a carry/safety class with live round shooting is not necessary for mom to be.

However, some expecting ladies drink, smoke and take drugs, ride horses and motorcycles...........we all are all grown up here- we must make our own choices.
Please make careful choices-

#52 ·
The way I look at it is this: For a long long time pregnant women have been shooting. It seems almost every year/week another study comes out saying this is bad..that is bad. BUT, every year the life expectancy goes up.
Just read an article today that says that women can drink while pregnant. So the pregnant lady, goes on full bed rest, takes vitamins etc, eats a weight watchers diet...then when contractions start. the husband drives her to the hospital and they get in a car accident!
There is always the unexpected.

Reactions: TexasAviator
#53 · (Edited)
Part of the reason for the lead caution is that one of the local gun ranges there were several shooters who had or have lead exposure problems with the dust. Those are for real.

A small number of other shooters had shot for years and their only exposure to lead was at indoor shooting ranges and they had lead in the bodies along with a lot of the symptoms related to lead exposure health problems.

These could be traced to the lead dust and bullet lead exposure.

Had these people been a little better at hygene and washed their hands or been in a place that had better fans they might not had as much trouble as they have now.

#54 ·
I just wanted to add that my friends wife had a healthy baby girl on 4/12/12. Last fall she filled all her tags including elk, antelope and got a really nice mule deer. We all did a little extra to help her fill out because we thought she'd be too busy being a mom after having the baby to do much hunting. Whatever, she's already been out prairie dog hunting. And yes, the baby really looks cute in a big pair of ear muffs. She usually sleeps through most of it:)

Coop

#55 · (Edited)
I was inspired to go back and look at the animals she actually got last year and they're all too good not to post. I was the guide and photographer in the antelope pic so it's just her but we were all involved in the deer and elk hunts. I "blurred" the faces of the innocent...

Attachments

#62 ·
I would think that if you believe this short term lead exposure would be a problem for pregnant women, what about your own long term exposure? Many of us have decades of range exposure, and other such "dangerous" activities as casting bullets, and handling lead bullets during reloading. I go tested once a few years ago. It came out normal.

The CDC recommends normal precautions when shooting, and avoid bullet casting and harvested game that may contain lead shot.
(search this pdf for "ammunition") http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/publications/LeadandPregnancy2010.pdf

#66 ·
I personally would not have an issue with this I would have my husbant handle all ammo load and unload the giun and i think id wear long sleevs and gloves like rubber gripped guardening gloves or if you can shoot with laytex or vynal gloves. and go to an outdoor range

#68 · (Edited)
I say, teach-em young!

We thought that lamaze was teaching how to breathe between trigger pulls. :D

Reactions: Marinevietvet
#71 ·
News story about "Shooting while pregnant":

JulieG Radio - Shooting While Pregnant

JulieG Radio – Shooting While Pregnant Published on Monday, March 18, 2013
Tags:Firearms Training|Julie Golob|Target Shooting|Women Shooters
JulieG Radio

Glasgow, MT --(Ammoland.com)- In this month’s episode of JulieG Radio, champion shooter, author, veteran, hunter and expecting mom Julie Golob tackles the tough question should I shoot while I am pregnant?

Going beyond just the short answer, to discuss the issue with your physician and partner, Julie delves deep into the subject and lists resources that are helpful for pregnant women. She offers valuable information on three primary concerns for expecting moms who shoot.

Sharing her own experiences on the topic, Julie also discusses the specific dangers of lead exposure for adults, children, pregnant women and unborn babies. She addresses the symptoms as well as ways to reduce the risk of lead poisoning.
Julie also discusses other concerns that include the dangers of noise toxicity and contaminant exposure specific to pregnant women and developing babies. For those who continue to shoot while pregnant Julie provides ways to limit exposure to lead, noise and other harmful contaminants.

AUDIO:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/juliegolob/JGR_011-Shooting_While_Pregnant.mp3

ORIGINAL ARTICLE:
JulieG Radio Episode 011 - Shooting While Pregnant | Julie Golob

#72 ·
I know that the Army's policy is no range time during pregnancy. Been in 13 years and that has always been the way it is. All of our ranges are outdoors and ear protection, eye protection, body armor, and gloves are all mandatory. Dry fire practice of the fundamentals could keep you sharp while you wait. It was a no-go before the new body armor came out BTW so that isn't a factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.