Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jung
  • 1 Post By HD-Mike

Thread: 738 Slide Lock Issue

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

738 Slide Lock Issue

I never paid much attention to until the last range trip, I dont think the slide didn't lock back on an empty. Last night I was checking on something and tried it with an empty mag and it did not lock back then.

At the range I had a couple light primer strikes I just thought it was the ammo since everything else has fired fine.

Its also a pain in the a$$ to chamber a round without locking open the slide.

I have about 150 rounds through it, are these break in issues? I really like this gun and carry it daily but I want to be able to trust in the fact that if I have to make it go bang I don't have to worry about the next round.

Any Ideas?

Mods if this is in the wrong spot please move.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
    ďBe who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind donít matter, and those who matter donít mind.Ē - Dr Seuss

Member #
    Liked
    610 times
    They suggest chambering the first round by cycling the slide anyway, as opposed to dropping a round directly into the chamber with the slide back.

As for the other issues with the slide locking back on an empty magazine, there are quite a few threads devoted to it, including one only a couple of days old for your specific gun that might already have answers or suggestions to your issue.

If I recall, some of the suggestions involved ammo choices, and others a breaking-in period.
    Last edited by G8R8U2; 03-29-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon

Member #
    Liked
    5017 times
    I bought an extra magazine not long ago, the lips were bad keeping it from loicking back. Try a different mag, if you can borrow one..and be sure not to limp-wrist. Sorry to even say it, I don't intend to insult you- with these little teeny guys sometimes it's hard to hold em good and tight, only two fingers. Finally, look at your slide rails- on the frame- make sure one side isn't split- like mine was. They replaced it, totally happy with Taurus- but things do happen.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Samuel Adams

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5722 times
    When I first got my 24/7 G2C, I had a hard time locking the slide open. After a thorough cleaning and running 8 or 10 snap cap loaded mags through her, all is well. She now locks open manually and after the last round without fail.
    NRA Member
    CWP Florida
    FairTax Supporter

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My 738 had issues with the last round hold open when I first got it. After careful examination I found that the notch in the slide was slightly rounded. i bought a mini file set from Harbor Freight and I very slowly and carefully squared up the notch. I removed a just a very small amount of material and it only took about 30 seconds or so. The LRHO works perfectly now.
    Budkelly likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I had to file the notch on my tcp slide too. Works great now, stays open after last round everytime.

Member #
    Liked
    3958 times
    I was gonna suggest checking the lips of the mag and notch on the slide, but I see they've already been said. Sometimes just a tiny bur in the notch will keep it from fully engaging the lock back.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Looks like its going on a Florida Vacation, I didn't realize I had to pay for shipping it there, no biggie on its way shortly.
    ďBe who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind donít matter, and those who matter donít mind.Ē - Dr Seuss

Member #
    Liked
    2873 times
    Not sure why you are sending it to Taurus, but if it is a new gun under 6 months, they will cover the shipping. You do have to ask them to supply you with a shipping label. The problems you are talking about may get taken care of during break-in. If the gun is very new with few rounds through it, take some time to shoot it more before sending it off. Suggestions have been made on possible fixes for the last round hold open, and they may very well fix it. When you load the magazine in the gun with the slide forward, you are compressing the magazine spring a little more to get the magazine to seat. That is why it is easier to do with the slide locked back. With a little break-in, this too should go away.
    Surveyor likes this.

Links