Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Taurus .380 TCP

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Taurus .380 TCP

I just wanted to give a quick report for this little pocket gun I bought for my wife. First,let me say when we were first looking at a carry gun for her we both liked the way it looked and felt in the hand. I don't have overly large hands but my wife who is only 5'-0" has much smaller hands. Actually, I really liked the Bersa for its size and shape but was a little more pricey. But after looking I researched the .TCP and found that most people hated it. I mean they said it jambed constantly, the built in slide lock feature after the last fire did not work among other problems. I even watched a load of youtube videos. But when we went to a few pawn shops we ran across one of these TCP's for a good price and my wife really wanted it basically because of its size and weight so we got it. Took it out this past weekend at a friends house and just test fired it a few times to see if we needed to take it back. The pawn shop where we bought it guaranteed the gun which kinda surprised me. Anyway, my wife stepped up to the target first time to shoot the .380 from 25 feet and popped one right in the the little red bullseye. How's that for accuracy?? Yep, she even out shot me I think she shot it about 30-35 times (didn't have enough time for more) and she hit the target every time but once and the six I shot. The once was a jamb, Ah haa! Not really. I happened to be watching the gun when it jambed and noticed it kicked back on her pretty good. What you might call a limp wrist. Several other times she did this but the gun did not jamb, it only sent the spent casing back into her forehead one time (another one of the complaints). From seeing the gun in action and shooting it I believe most of the problem with this gun is due to limp wristing the shot. Of course, I'm not an expert but the little gun cycled fine and she did not have the failure to fire due to the only DA and short stroking the trigger(another big complaint I found on the internet). I really think people just want to find something to complain about. I will say the gun has more pop than my .40 cal I guess due to its light weight so keeping a tight grip is key. I'll update again if anything major developes but for now I have no complaints. For those who care to know we were shooting Federal FMJ 94 grain.
    MilProGuy and 380TCP738 like this.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    3004 times
    There are a number of threads on here about small auto pistols in general and the problems they present. One of those problems is limp wristing, small autos in general require a better shooter than larger autos. They can be very unforgiving, but it sounds like your wife is on the right track. Suggest you shore up her grip and stance and then get to working on the best ammo with her doing the shooting. The one thing about these little pistols is that once you get them spot on for you, they may not work for someone else.

There are several more threads on "improvements" and "reliability enhancements". Suggest you read through them, especially EGumpher's thread, and do whatever it looks like her TCP needs. Also, keep a good eye on the parts when you are cleaning, if you see out of the ordinary wear, or start having problems, send them back to Miami. Taurus has an excellent warranty and when I have sent them something back they have done an excellent job of getting it fixed correctly and quickly.

With these little pistols there are essentially 3 legs to the tripod of successful operation: The shooter, the ammo and the pistol. All 3 must be in perfect working order and working together in harmony for these little pistols to be at their best. When they are "on" they can be supremely rewarding, but when they are not they can be extremely frustrating. There is so much going on and so much energy being converted into such a short and light slide action, that there is very little room for forgiveness in these small autos. These little pistols are not for beginners and take someone who knows what they are doing and are confident in their abilities. If you wife masters this little pistol, then you should consider her an above average shooter.
    trooperc7 and Qwiks draw like this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    1130 times
    Well said Greenwolf! I carry a TCP everyday.. I find it a wonderful little carry gun.

Member #
    Liked
    14730 times
    Add me to the list of carry the TCP everyday. Yes you have to hold on to it, with a little practice it is no problem. Mine is a keeper. The haters will always hate.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    2704 times
    GreenWolf is spot on in his comments here on the TCP. My wife carries on and she out-shoots me with it every time. That is a good thing too since she is the one carrying it. You might look into a Pearce Grip Extension for it. It allowed her to get a little finger on the grip and that help her accuracy too, not that it needed much help! Another thing I did was to paint the front sight to help her get on target quicker.

Member #
    Liked
    997 times
    I carry mine every time I'm out as well! Enjoy
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ " The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
    Support the sport Take a friend to the range

The state of our nation saddens me-
    "Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face."--Ronald Reagan

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks everybody for the quick comments and replies to my post. I'll keep my eye out for excessive wear and that is a good tip about painting the front sight. I was thinking about putting a little glow in the dark on my fixed 24/7 sights. I might like the extension grip myself actually. Does anyone knowif they make extra magaizines that have the extension? It only came with the one mag from the pawn shop.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    In addition to painting your front sight you may want to install a CT laser. We all are taught to practice both with and without lasers but with my eyes it is hard to see that little bump of a front sight, I like the idea of a red dot showing the muzzle's aim point.

I also like the automatic laser "on" feature of the CT laser too. It is said the TCP is best used within 20 feet and within that range the laser makes targeting practically point and shoot.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    RLindsey likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I bought my TCP about 2 months ago. I sent it back to Taurus to have the slide locking problem fixed. I received it back in about 10 days. I was pretty impressed. I'm just all around satisfied with this pistol. Glad I bought it!

Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    Yet another multiple victim shooting incident around here.
    Four wounded, four dead, including the shooter.
    The story would have been much different had only one
    of the women been armed, with even a little PT738, as well
    as confident in her shooting skills.
    Congratulations to you and your sharp shooting wife on
    the purchase of a potential life saver.
    trooperc7 and 24/7 compact like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links