Dry fire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dry fire

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Dry fire

Is it OK to dry fire a TCP without using a snap cap? I know some gun makers advise not to dry fire as it will damage the firing pin.

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Page 8 Dry firing is bad for this firearm, whether the hammer block is engaged or not.
    RG33 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8867 times
    Snap caps are cheap. Guns are not cheap.

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    10712 times
    Snap caps are a lot cheaper than ammo when breaking in a new auto or revolver. I will usually cycle and fire a semi auto or a revolver with snap caps about a thousand times just to help smooth and loosen things up a bit.

Snap caps are also handy when training a new shooter how to handle a hand gun and explain the operation of a handgun with hands on training. Snap Caps should run about $20 for six. You'll easily spend that with a box and a half of .380's.

It's a lot more fun shooting to break in a gun, but if you have loosened it up some, it will shoot better initially with live ammo having done so, and leave fewer doubts as to how many live rounds you will have to shoot through a gun (semi-auto) to feel completely sure it is reliable.

With revolvers, it smooths up the trigger sear, helps relax the main spring, and for double action is a must to smooth and lighten things up as well as practicing your sight picture in double action.

Regardless of the type of firing pin you have, the shock to the firing pin on firing an empty chamber can't be good.

I was raised to never dry fire without something to absorb the shock, but there will be a lot of posters who subscribe that it is okay to dry fire anything but a .22 or other rim-fire.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Member #
    Liked
    14257 times
    well generally speaking you likely can get away with i without any problems,and i and most do dry fire about any weapon they own.
    some you must dry fire to disassemble.
    I simply do not make a habit of sitting and dry firing a weapon, as mentioned snap caps are just way to cheap.
    course i don't usually even dry fire a weapon that i may be thinking of buying, generally placing a thumb in front of the hammer to check tigger pull.
    and I have gotten more than a bit upset about someone dropping the slide on my 1911's on an empty chamber!
    its just not a good idea to sit and dry fire any weapon over and over in my opinion.
    Last edited by olfarhors; 10-12-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9413 times
    Guess I'm kinda blessed, I go to the indoor range at least once a month in normal times, so the only time I dry-fire, is on a couple of my pistols you have to in order to field-strip.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Samuel Adams

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The manual says "SAFETY FIRST: Dry firing is bad for this firearm, whether the hammer block is engaged or not."
    At the same time, the Taurus website FAQ says:

Q: Can I dry fire my Taurus?
    A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 94 and 941.

Taurus is being a little self-contradictory on this question.
    RG33 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I recommend the use of snap caps, protect your investment
    All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

PT24/7 G2 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    If your owner's manual says not to dry fire the weapon, of course - don't do it. Otherwise - I've never seen a legitimate reason not to dry fire a centerfire weapon and I've seen or heard of it hurting the weapon. Always looking to be educated, though.

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Snap caps also let you practice draw and fire, then rack the slide as if a fte and fire again. If you don't rack right the snap cap will mess up just as a live round would.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,Pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech( ref Demolition Man year 2036 )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links