Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Taurus TCP vs the Sig P238

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Taurus TCP vs the Sig P238

I just want to get into the reason why I got rid of my Sig P238 and I still pocket carry a Taurus TCP.

To start off I traded a Kel Tec P3at about a year ago to get a beautiful Sig P238 SAS. As I held it in my hand I just fell in love with the gun. It was $620, which was the most I ever paid for a handgun. It came with a Plastic OWB holster and ONE magazine. Unfortunately I bought another mag and it cost $50. Ugghh. I cleaned it up and too it too the range. It had beautiful night sights on it. I started off at 5 yards, aimed and fired, and expected a bulls-eye, but I did not get it. 100 rounds later my accuracy improved but it was not real stellar for a +$600 tiny 1911 with large night-sights.

Name:  sig_sauer_p238_sas___380_acp_1774.jpg
Views: 17132
Size:  105.2 KB

The next day I put it in a cheap pocket holster and decided to carry it. Wow was it heavy, and boy did it print. Then came the hundreds of dollars spent on trying to find the right holster for it. It was so hard to find a holster that covered the manual safety and that did not any problems with print or the draw. The grip and the beavertail felt great in the hand, but it screamed GUN when it was in your pocket. I also couldn't figure out what the problem was with the weight. It felt like I was carrying a 9mm pocket gun. A few web sights mentioned that the loaded weight of the SigP238 was 15oz. I was scratching my head until I bought a digital scale. I weighed it and low and behold it came back at 17.1 ounces. Apparently the early nitron models were 15.7 oz but the new ones are almost 2oz heavier. It may not sound like much but That is almost as heavy as the Kel Teck PF9 loaded and some other 9mm pocket guns. The Sig P238 was 5.5" long and over an inch thick when you include the safety, so it was really pushing that 9mm level, and I work with the public and wear dress pants to work, I needed a decreet .380 pocket gun, not a 9mm sized pocket gun that shoots .380. Also I was feeling less and less safe with having a single action cocked and locked in my pocket. Most of the "Safe Carry" pocket holsters were very bulky, printy, and heavy, while the lightweight ones that reduced the print did not cover the trigger or safety too well.

At the end of the day I went to the gun store and looked over the other .380 options. Kahr P380...Not another expensive gun. S&W bodyguard...Still hear of issues with that one, I don't like that the laser screw can come loose and jam the gun. Diamondback DB380...not reliable. Another P3at...uggh. A ruger LCP...just a copy of the P3at. All that was left was a Taurus TCP.

It had a decent trigger, last hold open, 2 mags and it was lightweight...and $299 for a stainless model. Heck I'll do it.

I took both guns to the range and was impressed. The TCP has slightly better sights then the P3at and the LCP, and when I shot that 5 yard target I got that bullseye. I did lose some accuracy with the TCP at crazy long ranges like 25 yards, while the Sig was able to hit the target, but all in all at close range it was not too much different. The TCP recoil was also not that bad, when you compare it to the P3at and LCP, its not as soft as the Sig but it was not bad either.

I took the TCP home and weighed it loaded, and I got 12.1 ounces. The weight was night and day. Also the TCP is a tad smaller then the SigP238 and with its square-ish non-gun profile and light weight it disappears in the pocket. If it does prin for some reason it looks a lot like a wallet or a electronic gadet. I have to admit I'm not a big Taurus fanboy, but the more I shot the TCP the more I was impressed. It keeps chugging along hundred of rounds later and sometimes I forget I'm carrying it.

Unfortunately I question what I was going to do with the SigP238. Its was such a pretty gun, but it was a horrible pocket gun. I could think of another purpose it could serve, so I reluctantly sold it, for a loss that was close to the price of a bargain basement TCP or a Kel Tec P3at.

So the lesson for the day kids, Expensive and Pretty guns are sometimes not the best guns.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Sounds like good common sense came thru again. I never under stand why so many people run out and buy what even the newest ,oh so promoted handgun is. I ended up with tcp a different way. I tried to shot any and all the 380s I could knowing I wanted one for when my kahrs were to big. A year later I bought my tcp. Other than the sharp edged pmc "junk" hp it seems to feed every other hp offered to it and I have try 6 other major brands. I also never cared for how a pistol looked. They are all just tools after all. Only other taurus i have is a model 85SS that I cc'd for 20 years and no s&w has a better da trigger pull.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    I have a CHL and it was always a challenge dressing for my SIG P250C 40 cal. When I did carry IWB, I felt like I had a brick tied to my belt. I did some recearch and decided to get the 738 TCP. I never looked back. best handgun purchase I made for Conceal Carry.
    D
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Sig P250 .40 C
    H&R 1959 .22 snubnose Revolver
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member
    Shields of Honor LEMC.

BMC
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    if I had the money to burn I'd have a sig 238...it's a great gun, just expensive. Again, if I had money to burn I'd like to get a sig p938! Love to use that as my EDC. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely in love with my TCP and I'd NEVER get rid of it, but if I had the $$$...

Wait for Olfarhors to come along now and tell you all about his sig p238. Seeing his posts about it is what makes me want one, and a sig p938, oh and I would like to duplicate his collection of 1911's too!
    The only evil is ignorance...the only good is knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I've got a Sig P238 and love it. I bought it when it was on sale a few years ago for $489. It shoots well and I carry it in a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster. I have a friend who is an instructor in firearms safety and he gives a concealed carry permit class. He was amazed when I took it out of my pants pocket because he had no idea I was carrying. I put it back in the pocket and he eyed it again and told me if he couldn't detect it no one could. Anyway, just my two-cents worth.
    I think,l therefore I am. Rene Descartes
    I think, therefore I am--I think. Grand_cru

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16550 times
    Thank you for taking the time to share how you came to divest yourself of a Sig P238 and ended up with a TCP PT738.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the long descriptions of what you went through. I've heard the P238 referred to as the "best 380 pocket gun, but you'll pay double for it" (or something like that). I got a TCP, with one mag in the plastic box, for $199, less than a third of what you say the P238 cost. The gun has had some feeding issues, but I think I'm past that now.

It's a lot of bang for the buck, if you'll pardon the expression.

BobL
    MilProGuy likes this.
    from the Silicon Swamp in Florida
    Member NRA, GOA, JPFO

Member #
    Liked
    4844 times
    well of course we all have our likes and dislikes!
    you i would venture to say are in the minority in your opinion of the sig 238 or new 938 as sales would dictate.
    seems as thoguh perhaps you did not do proper research or were lead in the wrong direction.
    Now No doubt the 238 or 938 are more expensive than the other ran pocket 380's and 9mm.
    but the gun is nothing new, Colt made a non refined version of this that was known as the Colt Mustang for many years, actually they are now back in production due to Sigs popularity.
    which brings one to the discussion of magazines and holsters!
    magazines for the Colt mustang can be had for easily under 20 bucks, extended magazines are about 24 bucks, same with holsters, actually the Sig 238 will pretty much fit any holster (pocket) that the Taurus 738, Ruger or kel tec will fit as they are virtually identical in size, and of course any holster that fits the Colt Mustang also fits the 238.
    as for inaccuracy, well anyone can get a bad pistol i guess?
    but the sweet thing about the Sig 238 is that they make about any type sight that you might want from tritiums , to high contrast, i think its 6 different heights front sights, 4 different heights rear sights to adjust POI up, or down at pretty much any range, and of course as the sights are in dovetails then they are adjustable for right/left as well.
    as to price, well that like real estate, its dependent on where you are located and who you buy from, you of course purchased a upper level Sig 238 with the night sights, wooden grips etc.
    here Sig 238's generally begin at about 499, the thing is however the used ones are getting about 425-475, try that with the other pocket 380's.
    as for saftey in the pocket, anyone familiar with the 1911 safety system realizes that its one of the safest carry pistols around, mostly due to the fact that half the safeties are manual operated safeties.
    Now not everyone is comfortble with carrying a pistol cocked and locked, but thats NOT a firearm problem.
    as is often said a picture is worth a thousand words so as to tote ability heres a Sig 238 compared to the Taurus 738 for size(below).
    in one picture the sig is sitting behind the Taurus 738, cna you see that Big old Sig?
    this particulra Sig 238 the way it sits is about 4 ounces heavier than the Taurus 738 when both are fully loaded and magazies in place, a much appreciated 4 ounces when it comes to felt recoil and fast back on target aqusition.
    but the reason so many different guns are on the market is because we all like something different.

WELL-WOW! that was fun, we lost electricity here, sure am glad at least the long post went through.
    sorry bout that, heres the pictures of the comparison, and don't get me wrong, i own a Taurus TCP 738 and would carry it if my Sig went down, but to me there really isn't a comaprison in the Sig and the other pocket 380.s.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by olfarhors; 09-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    MilProGuy likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

BMC
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    I think you forgot the pictures olfarhors...
    The only evil is ignorance...the only good is knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    2508 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post

Now not everyone is comfortble with carrying a pistol cocked and locked, but thats NOT a firearm problem.
    as is often said a picture is worth a thousand words so as to tote ability heres a Sig 238 compared to the Taurus 738 for size(below).
    in one picture the sig is sitting behind the Taurus 738, cna you see that Big old Sig?

Agree!

I've also thought it was crazy that the people that think it's "too scary" to carry a 1911 cocked and locked where there are 2 manual safeties that need to be released before it will fire, but are totally fine with a Glock that has zero safeties! And don't even think to tell me that the do-dad on the trigger is a "safety"! It ain't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links