Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ErnestPWorrell

Thread: Slide on PT 738 is Locked - Can't Rack

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Unhappy Slide on PT 738 is Locked - Can't Rack

Hi All,

So i'm having a heck of a time racking the slide on my PT 738. It's just stuck, and won't budge. I haven't fired it in months, but I do carry it every day... so I don't know if a spring is stuck, something is rusted, etc. I was going to thouroughly clean it this weekend, but since I can't open it, I'm a bit unable to do that.

I oiled it up a bit, thinking maybe the problem was dry something. I tried with and without a magazine (both loaded and unloaded). I tried it with and without the "security key" on and off (maybe I left it locked on my last trip out of town), but I'm not sure which way is open (I think it's screwed all the way in is unlocked, protuding is locked).

Any thoughts? Is it possible something is stuck? (and just needs prodding with a pin or something)? Or do I just need to contact Taurus?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex

Member #
    Liked
    12942 times
    Is it loaded? If I remember correctly you can cause damage by using the key lock on a loaded gun. Check the manual at Taurususa.com to see what is locked and unlocked.

Welcome to the forum, hope we can help you figure it out.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    4374 times
    Is a magazine in it? Can you drop it? Maybe a double feed has it stuck, and dropping the mag might drop one of the rounds? Keep it pointed in a safe diirection, as always, but for sure this time- and good luck. If this doesn't help I think I'd take it to a smith- soon.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Samuel Adams

Member #
    West Central area of the Southern part of the Eastern side of Mineral County Nevada
    Liked
    83 times
    This sis what my manual says.

Never engage the Taurus Security System on your Taurus Pistol with the
    slide in the open (rearward) position. This will result in permanent damage to your
    firearm.
    Insert the key into the mechanism
    and turn clockwise until a click is felt
    or heard. The mechanism now
    partially protrudes above the surface
    of the grip. The action is locked in
    place and cannot function.
    To place the pistol in a firing
    condition, insert the key into the
    mechanism and turn it counterclockwise.
    The mechanism is now
    virtually flush with the surface of the
    grip. The pistol can now be fired.
    Engagement (secure)
    Disengagement (ready-to-fire)
    Never attempt to engage the Taurus Security System on a Taurus pistol with a
    cartridge in the chamber.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Mine did a similar thing. Look at the top of the slide and see if the firing pin retainer pin has dropped. It can be seen from a little hole on the top of the slide just forward of the rear sights. It should be nearly flush with the top of the slide. I was able to move my slide far enough back that I could push it back through from the bottom. A dab of lock-tite eventually fixed that problem.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Wow, I appreciate the fast replies. And thanks Boom for finding the manual, I guess I should have thought to look there... but, it was definitely unlocked.

It was indeed the firing retainer pin. It was stuck b/c of the lint and grime. Since it couldn't rack, I may as well not had it on me at all. Couldn't even pistol whip a bad guy with the little thing! Sheesh.

A lesson in cleaning for me!!! Speaking of which... how far can I dissasemble this thing? The extractor, firing pin, and whatnot do not look easy to remove. Or put back together.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    You will need to remove the slide, and and push the retainer back down from the top of the slide. At that point clean the hole out as best you can and let it dry. After its dry, dip a tooth pick into some blue loc-tite and let it drip in the hole. Then push the retainer back up in place and let it dry over night and you should be fine. I would keep an eye on it the first 50 rounds you run through it, to ensure it doesn't drop again. I would go easy on cleaning solvents in the area of the retainer in the future, as that may have been what caused it to loosen up. Good luck!

Member #
    West Central area of the Southern part of the Eastern side of Mineral County Nevada
    Liked
    83 times
    I help anyone, but with the name Ernest P. Worrell.... well i gotta do something, know whut i mean?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Boom and finnman1 like this.

Links