Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 709 Rear sight removal

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

709 Rear sight removal

Hello all, this is my first post. i just picked up a pt709 a few days ago and realized that the rear sight is a little bit crooked(right side sits a little higher). its not terrible but i would just like to make it perfect. So my question is how do i remove the rear sight? i tried removing the center screw but it didnt feel like it wanted pop out so i didnt push the issue. i think there is just a plastic burr under it. Any suggestions?

side note: i really like this gun as it is easy to carry, and it eats anything i put into it, including steel cased ammo

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    When I had a 709 it was the same as you are describing. I took my rear sight off as well (to do a slide melt) and there was no burr or debris under the sight. I came to the conclusion that it was the result of the elevation adjustment screw. The 709 is known to shoot low and or left out of the box. When I adjusted the rear sight, the little cam on the screw held the right side a little higher. If it bothers you, consider replacing them with some after market sights. Maybe night sights?

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    I have the same issue with both of my 709's. I used a small black wedge that I suck under the site to level it out once I had it at the height I wanted.
    Surveyor likes this.
    When the SHTF, don't be infront of the fan.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRONE View Post
    When I had a 709 it was the same as you are describing. I took my rear sight off as well (to do a slide melt) and there was no burr or debris under the sight. I came to the conclusion that it was the result of the elevation adjustment screw. The 709 is known to shoot low and or left out of the box. When I adjusted the rear sight, the little cam on the screw held the right side a little higher. If it bothers you, consider replacing them with some after market sights. Maybe night sights?
    How did you get the rear sight off may i ask?

"I used a small black wedge that I suck under the site to level it out once I had it at the height I wanted."---- what material was this wedge made of?

thanks for all the input

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seth959ci View Post
    How did you get the rear sight off may i ask?

"I used a small black wedge that I suck under the site to level it out once I had it at the height I wanted."---- what material was this wedge made of?

thanks for all the input
    Rolled up black electrical tape cut to fit.
    When the SHTF, don't be infront of the fan.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks ill have to give that a whirl later on.

Also, is taking out the screw on the top of the sight all that has to be done to remove it?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seth959ci View Post
    Also, is taking out the screw on the top of the sight all that has to be done to remove it?
    I think yes. But as I recall, the sight holds in some spring or other part, so don't lose it/them.

Member #
    Liked
    6460 times
    This canted sight is a common occurence with sights (front or rear) at times with sights that are held in place with set screws.
    Been a while since i messed with a 709/740 but to the best of my memory the single screw in the rear sight base is all that holds it in,(be sure and use some blue loc tite when you replace it or it will never stay tight), and I do not think that the rear sight base holds anyhting in place???
    On decocker safety psitols it does but not on the 709/740 to my memory.
    Of course you can always check the diagram in the manual for parts that may be hiding, if you do't have a manual then go to the Taurus website and download one.
    hope this helsp.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    and I do not think that the rear sight base holds anyhting in place???
    I haven't removed the rear sight, but the pt709 parts diagram shows part 1.26 (key lock pin) under the rear sight. It appears this pin is what keeps the key lock from falling out. Maybe I'm wrong but I've been bit by parts falling out and springing off, so I'm twice shy.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    it just seemed like when i tried to remover the sight after i took out the screw that something was still holding it in. does the windage adjustment screw come out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links