Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Taurus PT738 or Bersa Thunder 380??

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Taurus PT738 or Bersa Thunder 380??

I just absolutely cannot decide between these two firearms! when I'm looking a the Taurus I'm thinking , "Yes, that's the one." When I'm looking at the Bersa, "Yes, that's the one." Haven't fired either of them yet, so maybe that'll decide me. The ONLY thing at this time pushing me one way or the other is the Taurus warranty, so a pre-owned firearm could be a possibility. anyone own both? Thoughts?
    Never argue with a fool. they'll beat you every time in experience and practice.
    Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3272 times
    I have a TCP and that Bersa chambered in .22LR. Size wise, I am a commited pocket gun carrying individual. If you are looking to carry one of them concealed, the TCP will be much more easily carried any day and in any clothing.

If home defense and more range shooting is the order of the day, I'd pick the Bersa .380.
    andreew likes this.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    For HD I have a PT911, which I really like. The 380 would be for carry.
    Never argue with a fool. they'll beat you every time in experience and practice.
    Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I have both. Cost is about the same. Bersa has a warranty too.
    The Bersa is a little bigger, but has an excellent trigger, a decocker safety, and is a reliable gun. I have had mine about 3 months and have about 400 rounds through it without issue.
    The TCP is smaller. The warranty is not necessarily an asset. I've had mine nearly a year, and have sent it back 3 times. I have less than 100 rounds through it- I'm tired of fooling with it.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    If I were to go with something as big as the Bersa, I would go with the Kel-tec PF-9. Same basic size, more powerful ammo (9mm), and much cheaper to shoot. The TCP is a mouse gun, much better for CC, but has a smaller mag, less powerful cartridge and much more expensive to shoot. Other than them both being .380's, you're not really comparing apples to apples with these two guns.
    RevolverFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1039 times
    If you like the metal frame Bersa and that size, check out the thunder 9 UC. But if you are committed to 380, it come down to how you want to carry it. I also have a tcp and Bersa 22. I also agree that the tcp is the ultimate conceal package. It shoots pretty well and has a great trigger for DAO. The Bersa is also a great shooter, but is a bigger if you want to pocket carry. If you carry a snubby in your pocket, then the Bersa isn't a problem. If you want more capacity, get the 15 round double stack Bersa. Definitely a tough choice between two great guns.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I own both and love them both. Both have been 100 % reliable. Hotter rounds that sting a bit in the TCP are comfortable in the Bersa (bigger and almost twice the weight). The Bersa is easily capable of CC, but I would bet my paycheck that if you had them side by side on your way out the door, you would grab the TCP 99% of the time. It's light, surprisingly accurate, has a great trigger, is comfortable to shoot with Critical Defense Ammo and easily fits in your pocket. The Bersa is not a pocket gun. The choice really comes down to how you really intend to use it... Can't go wrong with either one as a shooter.

Member #
    Liked
    1729 times
    I personally would go with the Bersa as well if I had to choose between these two pistols. And yes, they have a great lifetime warranty as well. BTW, Jax is right as well -- you could go w/ a PF9 -- I have one and I love it! It does punch a little due to light weight, but it's not that bad, and it carries like a dream!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    I bought the Bersa because it's a blowback with a fixed barrel, rather than a locked breech auto. If you're forced to jam the barrel into an assailant's body, a locked breech auto will fail to fire, but a blowback should fire at least once. One could argue that a snubby revolver would make an even better choice for arm's length defense, and I also own one or two of those. I don't claim this as an original idea; I read about it in one of Massad Ayoob's articles somewhere.

BTW, no complaints about the Bersa. No malfunctions in 300 rounds of FMJ (Monarch and WWB) or in two magazines of Hornady ZombieMax. My sight picture with the Bersa is a bit funny: I have to cover the bull's eye with the white dot to get the elevation right, but maybe that's just me.
    "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free. But we all know that, donít we?" -- Jerry Pournelle

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Am I just lucky? I'm sitting at the 300-ish round mark on my TCP with only one failure, and that was my son and grip error. I see fail stories here on a semi-regular basis. Went to the range today and shot 50 rounds, not a single issue. I love my 738. I wish I could comment on the Bersa, but I have never shot one.
    Springfield Armory XD9 SubCompact 9mm
    Taurus 738 TCP
    Hi-Point C9
    Hi-Point .45 JHP
    S&W Model 65 .357
    Beretta Neos 6"
    H&R Model 999 Sportsman (my first pistol)
    Ruger 10/22 Stainless

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links