Thread: 740 mag release

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Unhappy 740 mag release

my new 740 is extremely possessive about its mags, when the mags are loaded. One mag will release if I push and hold it up before I push the release. The mag releases about 1/8th of an inch and I can then exert enough force to pull the mag out. The other mag will not respond reliably to anything I have tried. I just have to keep worrying at it until it eventually releases and I can then pull it out.

When the mags are empty, one will drop free just like I expect it to. The other starts out but sticks about halfway out and I have to pull it the rest of the way out.

Any ideas as to what is going on ??
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Don, is the first one in your post the same one that drops free when empty?
    Is there any sort of outward "flex" to the body of your mags? Perhaps it's mis-shaped (as you said, "sticks halfway out" when empty) causing it to hang up in the well.
    I suggest using a straightedge and make sure it's not bulging even slightly, with and without ammo. Also check for any protruding surfaces on the mags and in the well.
    Something is dragging in there...
    TCP 738x2
    740 slim
    ...and a bunch of Smiths!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GerSan69 View Post
    Don, is the first one in your post the same one that drops free when empty?
    Is there any sort of outward "flex" to the body of your mags? Perhaps it's mis-shaped (as you said, "sticks halfway out" when empty) causing it to hang up in the well.
    I suggest using a straightedge and make sure it's not bulging even slightly, with and without ammo. Also check for any protruding surfaces on the mags and in the well.
    Something is dragging in there...
    I have examined both mags for dimension and shape with no meaningful differences. I removed the slide to check for interference and both mags eject easily and drop free when loaded. IF I press down on the top round in the mag, the eject button becomes near impossible to press in on one mag. On the other mag the eject button becomes merely very difficult to push in with pressure on the top round.

I guess this will become the second item for factory correction along with SA trigger pull higher than DA pull
    Last edited by donhudd; 04-22-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK! Idea #2: Sounds like there's an issue with the mag release. If there's any sort of rough spot, etc, you'd get that difficulty to press it when the mag is under tension, like when the mag is pressing up against the slide (or your finger.) Maybe a little polishing of the release and the catch holes in your mags?
    TCP 738x2
    740 slim
    ...and a bunch of Smiths!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GerSan69 View Post
    OK! Idea #2: Sounds like there's an issue with the mag release. If there's any sort of rough spot, etc, you'd get that difficulty to press it when the mag is under tension, like when the mag is pressing up against the slide (or your finger.) Maybe a little polishing of the release and the catch holes in your mags?
    740 left here yesterday on a trip to the Miami "SPA" for a little makeover in the trigger pull and mag release area.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Links