Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Whats the best Personal Defense ammo for use in a TCP?

Member #
    Liked
    61 times

Whats the best Personal Defense ammo for use in a TCP?

I've been using Hornaday Critical Defense in my 9mm's. What CD ammo cycles well in the TCP?

Member #
    Liked
    6469 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxgunslinger View Post
    I've been using Hornaday Critical Defense in my 9mm's. What CD ammo cycles well in the TCP?
    well actually thats the answer that you should be giving us as to your particular weapon!
    the only way to find out is try various manufactures and types and then you got it.
    First obligation the self defense ammo works 120% of the time in your gun, second the ammo that prints closest to point of aim, then decide on what color the box is, if the company has a blimp, if you like their advertising, etc.
    don't matter what works in our guns or in your brother in laws gun.
    you got to do the work.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    With all due respect, thats terrible advice. Have you priced personal defense .380 ammo lately? I would much rather learn from someone else's experience for free, than spend $100 on 5 boxes of various types of ammo. These guns are all made to identical specifications, there is virtually no difference unless its a factory upgrade. The manufacturing of the ammo is where the difference comes into play.
    whodog likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14685 times
    I think you are both correct in a way. I always like to see what others are successfully using in a particular gun. With the price of the defensive ammo it gives you a nice starting point. And yes you must test it in your gun to make sure it is 100% reliable.

With that being said, from my research I found Critical Defense was a common choice for the TCP. That is where I started, after 150 rounds without a single problem; I have decided to end my testing there. That is now what I carry. I do not have the luxury of doing expansion tests, so I must rely on the ammo doing what the manufacture says it will.
    RevolverFan likes this.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    I agree........... Find a brand that's accurate/cycles well, and is locally available and affordable. At that point your search is over. How was your groupings with the Critical Defense?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18298 times
    I use Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my .357 Magnum snubbie and am confident that it will do the trick if I ever have to fire them in self-defense or for the defense of my family.

I started out with Speers Gold Dot Law Enforcement ammunition in my TCP and in my MilPro PT138, and this ammo works equally well with either pistol.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Member #
    Liked
    1247 times
    With all due respect, thats terrible advice. Have you priced personal defense .380 ammo lately? I would much rather learn from someone else's experience for free, than spend $100 on 5 boxes of various types of ammo. These guns are all made to identical specifications, there is virtually no difference unless its a factory upgrade. The manufacturing of the ammo is where the difference comes into play.
    Nope, all guns are different, none are identical. Identical specs don't mean much. For example, my blued 709 has no problem w/ WWB, but my matte 709 won't get any WWB thru w/o FTF or FTE, or something, and that's using the exact same magazine... Both made the same year, also. No upgrade, nothing. Both handle Critcal Defense w/o fail...

Now back to the TCP, my daughter (and me, since it's my gun, really) uses nothing but PPU and PMC for target and CDefense for carry. Those three work flawlessly, so I'm not changing for nothing....

Gotta make an educated guess, and try it out w/ your gun. Hopefully, you'll guess correct the 1st time....
    Last edited by whodog; 04-20-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: duh...

Member #
    Liked
    14685 times
    I agree........... Find a brand that's accurate/cycles well, and is locally available and affordable. At that point your search is over. How was your groupings with the Critical Defense?
    If I take my time at 7 yards I can hold a 2" group with out the use of the laser. With the laser I can get that down to 1 ” groups. I do not practice with the CD to much, it is too expensive. I will randomly mix 2 rounds of CD in with 4 rounds of my practice ammo; they all will hit center mass so I do not want to burn up a lot of CD in practice.

One of these days I will be testing a few more brands of self defense ammo as I want to have options available if CD gets hard to find. I am also working on a self defense re-load as a back-up.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    I agree w/ Fish -- it cuts both ways. Experience of others can help us make an informed choice, but testing in your own pistol is absolutely essential. What works well with one might not work for another. Plus, you NEED to know that a load works before you stake your life on it. BTW, I will make my usual pitch for Federal's Hydra-shok. It's a great round with a good track record. Here is a good review of the Hydra-shok, and he also does some performance reviews on other .380 loads as well:

HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    20195 times
    When it comes to "micro blasters", tolerences and the forces neccesary for reliable performance becomes critical.

Trial and error is the "only" way to ensure what will work in each individual gun.

Not the answer the OP might have wanted, but none the less the truth...
    RevolverFan likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links