Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

709/740 shooting low left complaint

try placing off hand thumb forcefully into the dimple on the forward part of the frame while shooting. This solved my tendency to shoot left.

ymmv
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Are you anticipating the recoil? Sometimes that is the problem. One way the fix that is to have your buddy stand behind you and chamber one round or not but they don't tell you and the weapon is cocked. They hand it back to you, you shoot. When you shoot and there is no round, just a click. If you pull back like it actually fired a round then you most likely are anticipating the recoil. Keep doing this ,shooting some real rounds and some empty until you are not anticipating. Of course it could be your sites need to be adjusted.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Between the Trinity and Brazos Rivers in the real Lonesome Dove.
    Liked
    2381 times
    Interesting. Low and left is usually caused by unconsciously pushing the trigger to the left while firing the gun. Dry fire practice focussing on how you press the trigger to the rear will generally clear this up. I'd never had a problem with it until I bought my PT140. Dry fire practice with a Laser Lyte trainer helped me regain trigger control.
    The AR-15: The 21st Century Patriot's Flintlock Musket.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

Sand Lake 2014 TA Gathering

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    mine did that too, thought it was the gun until I shot it one handed and it was dead nuts, put both hands on er and low left. huh must be me lol. called taurus and they said they would send me return box to send it back. I don't know if I will, all this shooting i'm still wondering what i'm doing, my off hand must be putting pressure where it shouldn't. oh well back to the range

Member #
    Liked
    5668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bnation83 View Post
    Are you anticipating the recoil? Sometimes that is the problem. One way the fix that is to have your buddy stand behind you and chamber one round or not but they don't tell you and the weapon is cocked. They hand it back to you, you shoot. When you shoot and there is no round, just a click. If you pull back like it actually fired a round then you most likely are anticipating the recoil. Keep doing this ,shooting some real rounds and some empty until you are not anticipating. Of course it could be your sites need to be adjusted.
    I prefer to use either a snap cap or a dummy round , then you can see that the loaded chamber indicator indicates a loaded round so you don't know if its a live round or not!
    and then you can practice clearance drills at the same time that you are watching for flinching.
    Just a suggestion!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    5668 times
    Lightweight gun, long trigger pull, damned Glock type trigger safety, thin so doesn't fill the hand on some people.
    makes for a tough pistol for many to fire accuratel- Like ME!!!.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bnation83 View Post
    I am not anticipating recoil. I shoot high power 45acp loads in light weight 1911's routinely, quite accurately.. The only two pistols I have had a tendency to shoot left with are the 709 and the 740. I think it is because the back if the grip to trigger release measurement is sooo short that I develope a twisting motion during firing. I can see this clearly by dry firing with careful look at sight movement as the shot breaks. With the off hand thumb FIRMLY in contact with the dimple, the sight picture does not change.

I really believe that Taurus put the dimples on the frame just to help this condition.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Lightweight gun, long trigger pull, damned Glock type trigger safety, thin so doesn't fill the hand on some people.
    makes for a tough pistol for many to fire accuratel- Like ME!!!.
    I could only get two fingers around the grip before putting mag extensions on. It now fills my hand.

Name:  PT709a.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  76.9 KB

I would recommend to FIRST put your PT709 on a rest or sandbags and try shooting to see if the gun's sights are misaligned or your shooting technique is the culprit. It is kind of dumb to try and use compensatory grips when the sights could be misaligned.

Member #
    Liked
    5668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    I could only get two fingers around the grip before putting mag extensions on. It now fills my hand.
    igned.
    Yep I put mag extensions on mine as well, heres a picture of them!
    OH and I put a new gun above them as well.
    here was my answer to the 709 not fitting my hand!
    worked out great for me!
    notice that these mags also come with built in extensions if you need them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Name:  2012-04-28 19.22.58.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  1.22 MBi do agree on the shooter causing it also... we are working with her grip,stance,different ammo...i'm trying different things before sending it back to taurus... myself and others think that the front sight is crooked... the front of the sight looks as if it is shifted to the left... i have compared it to another 709 and my gun looks crooked compared to the other...
    Last edited by SCOTTFD8; 04-28-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links