Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

First time 740 range report - need help/advice

OK,

First time firing my new 740. Cleaned and oiled twice before going. Shot 200 rounds of various FMJ, and JHP ammo - Winchester whites - 165gr, American Eagle 180gr, and Hornady 180gr. First groups shot low and left. Adjusted sites to max hi and right. After that adjustment, grouping was much better. However, the big issue I had was A LOT of FTF. I would guess that at least every other clip would experience a failure to feed. The load would feed straight up and stick out of the ejection port and jam. The good news is that all of the FTF were the LAST round in the clip. So, if I were to reply on this gun exclusively for self defense, at least I could rely on 5 shots before a jam. Anybody know how to correct this issue or have had it happen? Again, not ammo specific, but always the last round when it did jam. My, S&W 442 worked flawlessly, of course.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    did you take the magazine apart and clean in at all? not saying that is your problem, but some magazines do funny things until you wear them in. you could also try to stretch and compress the spring while its out, might help. does it do it if you put two rounds in the mag and then rack the slide back manually?
    Taurus PT1911DT
    Ruger P97-DC
    Ruger 10/22
    Custom AR-15(M4)

While I believe we all have a right to bear arms, i DON'T believe it should be an unlimited right. If you prove you are not willing/capable to safely possessing a firearm, then for you, the right to bear arms should be revoked.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Uliki View Post
    did you take the magazine apart and clean in at all? not saying that is your problem, but some magazines do funny things until you wear them in. you could also try to stretch and compress the spring while its out, might help. does it do it if you put two rounds in the mag and then rack the slide back manually?
    Cleaned it thoroughly after getting home, including the magazines. Won't know until next time. I loaded 2 snap caps and racked the slide twice without any issues. Got me.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7818 times
    In my limited experience the only time I saw this a new magazine spring cured it. If this is a new gun and magazine that shouldn't be it, unless the follower is hanging up on something at the top of the mag. Do you have more than one magazine?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    In my limited experience the only time I saw this a new magazine spring cured it. If this is a new gun and magazine that shouldn't be it, unless the follower is hanging up on something at the top of the mag. Do you have more than one magazine?
    Just the 2 mags that came with it. I'll have to number them and see if it is happening with both or just one.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Ok, went back to the range and discovered that my feed problems are occurring with only one mag. Had to issues with one, and a lot of FTF, Fail to fire, and even ejected non-fired shells. Will Taurus warrant the magazine? I would hate to have to send the entire gun back.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    They warranty the package,just call them asap..
    PT 740 Always loaded and ready to go!!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3319 times
    They replaced 2 ea. PT140MilPro mags for me and asked that I return the old (didn't resolve problem) - they didn't hesitate - all done over the phone with CS. Ended up being a cracked mag release which they repaired under warranty.
    (2) PT709 SS 9mm; PT740 SS .40S&W
    PT140 Blk. Mil Pro G1; PT140 SS Mil Pro G1 .40S&W; PT111 9mm SS Mil Pro G1
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS - 9MM; (2) PT100AFS .40S&W
    TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS
    (2)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and all Black 9MM; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Called them today, and they are sending me a new magazine. At least Customer Service is impressive. Hopefully, this will fix the problem. If not, I may have to invest in Wolf springs.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    New here but wanted to throw out the suggestion of tapping on the bottom and sides (of the magazine) after you load the magazine to seat the rounds.

I ran into a similar issue on my S&W M&P 15 Sport (AR15) on my first two outings with it and a buddy suggested that as it was something he was taught to always do when he served in the army. After following this advice every time a load a magazine, I have never again had a FTF issue on my AR15.

I just picked up a 740 Slim yesterday at a Eastman show that was in town and when I got it home and tore it apart (including the magazines) and reassembled and then loaded the magazines I did noticed that doing my now standard tapping to seat the rounds did cause them to shift into a more settled position.

Can't hurt to try while waiting on a replacement magazine from Taurus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links