Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Problems with FMJs

Ive had my PT709 Slim for two years now and probably 500rds.

Recently it doesn not want to eject full metal jackets (win.) It will cycle back enough to start to double feed but not eject the spent case.
    But when I put in JHPs, I dont have a problem at all. Everything works perfect.
    Has anyone else had this problem? any suggests? I know I can just shoot JHPs but I want to be able to shoot FMJs as well.
    Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has already been asked

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Eject or extract? In other words, was the spent casing fully out of the chamber? If the round had been fired, I suspect FMJ vs JHP is not the issue but rather slight differences in casing dimensions. I (and others) had the incomplete extract problem which was solved by replacing the extractor ($12 part and 10-15 minutes labor ... if you know how).

Member #
    Liked
    15469 times
    Were you shooting the Winchester White Box 115gr loads?

It has been mentioned here by several others that many of the 709's are finicky with the lightly loaded WWB ammo.

I had some problems with WWB in my 709, but it works fine with almost all other loads.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    My 709 has eaten everything I have fed it with none of the FTF or FTE type problems. However I have also heard about the WWB issues.

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times
    Shot mine with WWB 115gr. and no problems what so ever. However that does not mean that other brands of ammo should not be tried.They should.

Mini pistols of which this fits in that class are finicky by nature. That's true for any brand,make, or model.

Member #
    Liked
    5659 times
    several things could be causing the problem.
    the ammo may not have enough power to cycle the gun correctly, by the way the 709 is designed to run on 124 grain ammo, not 115.
    this could be an issue !
    have you noticed any difference in the ejection pattern (where the ejected brass was going and what was the angle?)
    has it changed form when the weapon was new?
    this could be an extractor/spring issue.
    have you tried a new recoil spring?
    could be weak>
    easiest is to change brands of ammo, Aquila and S & B seems to be fairly potent loadings in 9 MM FMJ and they are 124 grain as well.
    hope this helps some.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    So where is the best place to pick up 124gr ammo? All of the cheapy stuff around here is 115gr. And by cheap I mean $13.00 a box of 50. How much is 124gr? Cabelas or Wholesale Sports are really the only options unless I go to a smaller gun shop.

Member #
    Liked
    5659 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdrdude View Post
    So where is the best place to pick up 124gr ammo? All of the cheapy stuff around here is 115gr. And by cheap I mean $13.00 a box of 50. How much is 124gr? Cabelas or Wholesale Sports are really the only options unless I go to a smaller gun shop.
    You might try Ammunitiontogo.com.
    they routinely have 9 MM ammo FMJ for under 10-11 bucks a box and lots of time its 124 grain, good company to do business with as well.
    Most 9MM will function fine on 115, 124, 147 grain but you jsut never know, many times its more about the power of the round than the weight of the projectile.
    Aqulia, S & B, Fiochhi seems to me to be a tad more potent in the 124 grain than the Winchester, Federal, etc wally world range ammo.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I have an FNP-45 that shoots any ammo except WWB FMJ's. Several other FNP guys have the same problem with them. They appear to be slightly over spec in length. The rounded tip causes feed problems in the magazines. It's also gotten worse lately with the WWB JHP rounds since the new box design. It only happens with the WWB FMJ and I can shoot any other FMJ with absolutely no issues. Flat nosed rounds (JHP, SWC) have no issues at all.

Making the mags that tight to spec is another issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links