Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCP and JHP

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

TCP and JHP

Has anyone had an issue with the TCP not feeding Jacketed Hollow Points? I bought one for my wife a while back and feed it lts of ball ammo. I sold one to a customer who said it won't feed Golden Saber JHP rounds. Anyone have any information? Any fix beyond polishing the fedd ramp?

Member #
    Liked
    4880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EdH View Post
    Has anyone had an issue with the TCP not feeding Jacketed Hollow Points? I bought one for my wife a while back and feed it lts of ball ammo. I sold one to a customer who said it won't feed Golden Saber JHP rounds. Anyone have any information? Any fix beyond polishing the fedd ramp?
    well malfunctions in these micro pisols are many times user error!
    without knowing how the user is attempting to chamber the particular round it could be the pistol or the user?
    generally a through breakdown and cleaning , then a good lubrication and reassembly, then running several hundred FMJ through the gun to loosen it up and most problems seem to disappear.
    OF course any semi auto can balk at a particular ammo, so its always suggested to try several self defense ammunitions and go with what works 120% of the time, to choose a particular ammunition simpy on brand name or color of box and not try it in the gun doesn't make a lot of sense.
    MY particular 738 will run so fra on any of about 7-8 different self defense rounds and several reloads as well, including Gold Dot, Golden Sabre,Hornady FTX, Fiocchi XTP, and copper O projectiles.
    it just depends on the particular gun and the shooter.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6405 times
    The Hornady XTP Critical Defense seems to work well in mine and is often mentioned here as the load of choice for many.

Member #
    Liked
    9448 times
    Hornady XTP and FTX both work 100% of the time for me.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hornady run fine in mine. The only brand I've found that jam are Winchester white box. The tips are flat and don't seem to feed well. I only experienced 2 jams out of the 70 I shot from the box but that's 2 more than any other brand I've used.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EdH View Post
    Not trying to be a smarty pants but, tell them to try another brand. Mine will not shoot Winchester White box period. It jambs a lot while trying to. It cycles Remington flawlessly. FMJ and JHP no problem. If the pistol shoots other rounds fine then I would just find me another defense round (I've tested many and for the price the Remington expands fine for me). Buffing the feed ramp and polishing the camber is all I know to do to one. The guns are so small and the angle of the feed ramp is just so extreme on these little pistols that it causes problems. Good luck trying to get a paying customer to understand that but that's just the way it is. These little critters are sometimes very ammo finicky.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the replies. I did tell him to shoot a couple hundred rounds of FMJ out of it. We've shot Golden Saber out of my wife's and it eats it up. Her PT738 also likes the Winchester White Box. This surprised me because I've read on many forums about how different guns don't like Winchester White box. Although my PT638 didn't like them much.
    I've got my FFL and a small business selling guns and equipment as a side "Expensive Hobby". I've sold 20+ PT738 and PT732(Pink one too) pistols since Jully of 2011. This was the first issue anyone has informed me about.

Thanks for your responses.
    Last edited by EdH; 04-07-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16596 times
    I used Corbon and Speers Gold Dots in mine and they cycled well.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    if tweak the feed lips on the mag so that the bullet points just a tad higher, it will feed alot smoother.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I met face to face witht he customer. I emptied all the round from the mag and gun and then reloaded on my own. I then racked the first round into the pistol. The customer looked at me like I did something wrong. I just let the slide fly like normal. He then went on to explain that he was riding the slide foreward. I'm waiting for a range report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links