Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best ammo for the 709 Slim?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Best ammo for the 709 Slim?

I just purchased a Slim. What ammo does the slim like the best and what ammo should I avoid (for both target and self defense)?

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    It's a trial and error type of deal....two exactly alike 709's may prefer different ammunition. Same goes for any manufacturer.

Buy some quality American made target ammo (Winchester, Federal, Remington) in different bullet weights if possible....see what functions best and shoots closest to your point of aim.

As far as defensive ammo....any modern American made jacketed hollowpoint will do the job. Just make sure to run enough through your Slim to ensure proper function.
    MOONDAWG and MilProGuy like this.
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times
    Taurus pistols seem to like or be made for 124gr. ammo, but NYPD hit the nail on the head.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    Taurus pistols seem to like or be made for 124gr. ammo, but NYPD hit the nail on the head.
    NYPD? Not sure I follow.

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times
    The idea is to try various brands and makes of ammo to see which will be the 100% reliable and accurate (remember this is not a target pistol and best used at 7 yards or a little bit beyone that.) in your pistol.

Each pistol is a entity onto itself just like the same model of car is. No two behave exactly the same way. What works well in mine may not work in yours.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/70...t-pistols.html

Maybe the above link will explain some things better.

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmcdn View Post
    NYPD? Not sure I follow.
    Qwiks Draw was referring to my post.....my username is NYPD
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Ah, ok. I haves owned a few Taurus pistols but sold them. They were fine guns. I've owned my PT145 for a few years and haven't had an FTF or FTE ever shooting varied ammo through it.

I haven't fired mg brand new PT709 yet, and have read a lot of forum posts out there ranging from "great gun, no issues" to "messes up frequently and unreliable". I like the 709 as its thin CHL carry.

This is why I decided to post here to see what you guys thought. Right now I have it loaded with Federal Hydra-Shock 124 gr FMJ.

When shopping for this gun, I was debating over the slim or the LC9 but preferred not to spend an extra $100 if I didn't have to.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23945 times
    Other than the brand name (which may enhance the resale/trade-in value) I found no advantages of the Ruger LC9 over the Taurus 709. (Specs only: I own a 709 but have not bothered to handle the Ruger.) (And I'm not a brand basher: I own two Ruger revolvers and they are great!)

Taurus does recommend 124gr ammo for their 9mm pistols, but you may find your style/grip works better with a heavier or lighter pellet.
    There are some 709 owners who have used +P rounds with no problem and others who feel the slight increase in velocity is not worth the extra cost or the heavier wear and tear on the gun.

Federal Hydra-Shocks would seem to be a good defensive round. If you use them and they hit very near your point of aim, then there is probably no need to search for the magic bullets.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can bribe your younger brother into doing today.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3451 times
    I have a new 709. It's had about 300 rounds put downrange in the past couple of weeks. Winchester Q load 115 gr. FMJ (old stock from 1990), and Cor-Bon 115 gr +P JHP. There have been exactly ZERO issues with the gun to date.

Clean it up, getting the preservative, a waxy feeling stuff, off of, and out of, the gun and magazines. Inspect the gun as you do so. Lube it properly, and go shooting. I fed mine 100 rounds of FMJ before trying JHP. That lets everything settle in, and polish up.

The Federal Hydra-Shok round is a good choice.
    NYPD likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links