Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: why bad mouth taurus

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    Okay, I'll bite. At Academy, where I bought my 709. I was also looking a an 809. The attendant discouraged against it and all Taurus' in general. So I asked, "well what about the PT92. I've had one for 2 years and its been flawless." The guy goes, "well, that's a Beretta design and that's why you've had no problems. It's their own designs like the 709 and the 809 that give the most problems and that's why we've had to send so many of them back for repairs. Whatever... they haven't included either of mine. About the only disadvantage I can see is the numbers of accessories available for the Taurus guns are not nearly as numerous as they are for say, Glock.

Not a real biggie for me anyhow. I still have my eye on the 809.
    Last edited by redalrt; 04-08-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies. -- Groucho Marx

Member #
    Liked
    5900 times
    well as has been pointed out countless times here.
    any new design weapon is basicaly going to have a few growing pains!
    look at the new beretta mini 9MM, the Kimber Mini 9 MM, the Sig sauer 238, just to name i few recent introductions!
    I had a stainless Colt officers model way back when thye were newly introduced and the thing never would run 100% on anything, and hollow points were terirble, this includes 2 trips back to colt and 1 to my gunsmith.
    what may look perfect on the drafting table many times has "Gremlins" when produced.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    5246 times
    Just appropriatated another PT58S. It's on the way.

Just something about 900 series pistols I like a lot.

The 800 series is one of Taurus" best lines IMHO. Just like metal framed guns.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Taurus Revolvers and Pistols,Have a lot less issues than,Ruger,& Ruger is definitley the one to stay away from for a few more years,Love my Taurus M-66 ,92s,and 20 year oldM-85 ss.

Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    I constantly bad mouth Taurus products because I have had 11 semi-autos and revolvers blow up in my hand. My hand has been missing for about 3 years and my face is horribly disfigured. I like Rugers better because I have only had 8 of them blow up in my hand. Plus, a Taurus doesn't cost as much as a Kimber so they must be bad guns. Value and price are the same! Since I have a Kimber, it is my duty to look down on any pistol that costs less than mine. Last, the Taurus is a foreign made gun and not made in America like my Glock!

Last edited by wiredgeorge; 04-09-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    rodfair likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times
    Well, OK, then, that settles that.

Does anyone besides me find it odd that sales people, who don't order, nor send for repair, guns tell people whats good and bad? Especially in a large shop, with many employees, where they really don't know what happens after their shift?

Do they think that the FFL Holder, or the Manager, is going to continue to order guns that fail on a routine basis? Somehow, I doubt it. That's a great way to go out of business, in a hurry.

Now, perhaps, IF, they are on salary plus sales pay, they MIGHT sort of push everyone into higher priced guns. Taurus, nope, too many returns, Ruger, only a little better. S&W, barely adequate. If you want a REAL good gun, start at HK, SIG, Colt, or Kimber, and move up.

I have also got to admit that there are a lot of people who buy guns, but couldn't tell you anything beyond the bullet comes out "this end". ANYTHING that they cannot figure out becomes a "warranty issue". "Sights are off", jams, and so on. Did you clean it, and lube it? No, the "shop did that." Do you know how to actually use the sights? "Well, of course I do, and it just won't shoot where I'm aiming." Watching them fire shows you that they are literally pulling the shots with poor trigger-finger placement. Or, they are firing at 200 rpm, and expecting 1" groups.

Too many of today's buyers have a "it's not MY fault attitude". They expect a machine to make up for poor handling, trigger control, and sight alignment. Funny, but groups, and operation, all improve in the hands of someone who actually takes the time to learn to shoot.

Member #
    Liked
    5246 times
    Today's society want it all right now or as of yesterday and that does cause a lot of trouble.

Here I am rereading Mas Ayoob's book "StressFire" and he can teach someone how to shoot in a few hours, his StressFire course does, but one has to heed and put effort and time into it. Even has pictures.

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    As a Hi-Point owner, I get this A LOT. I have a C9 9mm and a .45 JHP, and absolutely love both of them. A year or so ago, I pulled up to my range lane and unpacked my Hi-Points, and the guy next to me started complaining. He wanted me moved to a different lane for fear that my weapons would have a catastrophic failure and injure him. He had 2 Glocks, 2 Kimbers, a real 1911 and a S&W 44 Mag revolver. I don't remember the calibers on the G and K's. I proceeded to start shooting, ignoring his rant. To preface, I was on my post shooting team in the Army. I'm a good shot. Running with flat sights at 10 yds, I was shooting 2" groups with both guns. After 2-3 mags through each gun, Mr. Whiney took real notice. I was outshooting him at the same distance by a minimum of 1.5". He got irritated and left. 3 guys came over and started asking about my guns, shot them and were impressed that sub-$150 guns could shoot that well. One of them went to the shop next door and bought the same ones I had.

It's all about the "look at me" factor. I'm not an egotist. I don't have any preconceptions about any gun. My TCP is gorgeous-looking, accurate and comfortable to hold. What else do you need? Guns aren't going to get you laid (unlike a car), go for practicality. Taurus is practical, Hi-Point is practical.
    wiredgeorge likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's like clothing labels. Some people can examine a piece of clothing and determine if it's quality goods or not. Others can't so they can only go by the label and the price.

Personally, I shied away from from Taurus when I bought my first handgun, a 617 .357 snubby revolver, but I got lucky. A friend, who was with me at the time, said "hey, it's guaranteed for life; don't worry about it." This friend, by the way, shoots skeet at the National level and also worked in the LGS at one point, so I put stock in his opinion and bought it. I've since bought a 709 and both guns are great.

Most folks are probably like I was. They never owned one, never shot one, and never will because of a few horror stories or groundless opinions that get repeated. I looked at other gun sites: they all have problems with new models and they all have problems sometimes.

Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedCitizen View Post
    As a Hi-Point owner, I get this A LOT. I have a C9 9mm and a .45 JHP, and absolutely love both of them. A year or so ago, I pulled up to my range lane and unpacked my Hi-Points, and the guy next to me started complaining. He wanted me moved to a different lane for fear that my weapons would have a catastrophic failure and injure him. He had 2 Glocks, 2 Kimbers, a real 1911 and a S&W 44 Mag revolver. I don't remember the calibers on the G and K's. I proceeded to start shooting, ignoring his rant. To preface, I was on my post shooting team in the Army. I'm a good shot. Running with flat sights at 10 yds, I was shooting 2" groups with both guns. After 2-3 mags through each gun, Mr. Whiney took real notice. I was outshooting him at the same distance by a minimum of 1.5". He got irritated and left. 3 guys came over and started asking about my guns, shot them and were impressed that sub-$150 guns could shoot that well. One of them went to the shop next door and bought the same ones I had.

It's all about the "look at me" factor. I'm not an egotist. I don't have any preconceptions about any gun. My TCP is gorgeous-looking, accurate and comfortable to hold. What else do you need? Guns aren't going to get you laid (unlike a car), go for practicality. Taurus is practical, Hi-Point is practical.
    I own a .45 Hi-Point and it is deadly accurate and stone cold reliable. The reason I don't own more is that it is as heavy as a brick and tiresome to carry concealed. It weighs almost as much as my AR15 which has a full polymer lower. I keep the Hi-Point in a convenient location in my shop where I work all day as I trust it 100 percent to do what is needed in the event a trespasser shows up while I am in the shop. I sometimes remove my concealed carry weapon because I work in a dirty environment but feel just fine relying on the Hi-Point. If you want to sniff at my Hi-Point, that is OK as the ghost sights allow me to shoot at up to 30 yds pretty darn accurately and I would not hesitate to take the big heavy weapon into a fight. I wish the company would make some lighter offerings; blow-back guns are super reliable but require strong steel to keep from breaking. Strong steel is also heavy.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Links