Member #
    Liked
    1 times

738 Magazine Question

I just bought a new 738 last month, and I wanted to take apart the magazines to make sure they were clean and give them a small shot of Hornady One Shot to "lube" the innards of the mags.

First, has anyone recently removed the floorplate from their 'B' series (Mine is a 63XXX S/N) TCP magazines? My floorplates seem to to be wedged in pretty tightly, and I don't want to force them out. I noted a thread on the 'Smithing' section where the OP brought up the same question, but only mentioned that after using a punch to depress the magazine floorplate seat, he got the floorplate to move with the help of a rubber mallet. He apparently didn't remove the floorplate, though, and so didn't disassemble the mag.

Also, looking at my mags from the outside, it seems that the mag springs are 'molded' into the bottom of the red follower. Anyone else notice this on their 738 mags? When I get my mags apart, I'll be able to get a better look at this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by magna98; 01-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    Mine is a 26xxx "B", ( TCP 738 ) and the springs are not molded into the base. But the spring does hook through a little eyelet on the floor plate.
    Its stiff, and tough to get it started, but once moved mine comes off with a little, but some pressure required. A little difficult to get off, but easier back on.

ejc
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    If you look down the list of threads you will see my post on the same subject. I took a rubber hammer and pounded mine until the plate was even with the back of the magazine. At that point I still could not move it with my hand. Mine is a 72XXXB and apparently something changed along the way in manufacturing the magazines. I just hammered mine back in position and will remove it if ever/whenever I need to clean it. I don't intend to fire this gun much beyond breaking it in and confirming it is reliable so I shouldn't have to clean the mags very often if at all. I have plenty of other handguns to shoot for fun. This one is strictly for pocket carry during the summer months. I carry a Colt Combat Commander or a S&W Model 38 during months I wear a coat.

E. J.

ejc
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    This morning I decided to take the floor plates all the way off. Once I hammered the plate until it was flush with the back of the magazine, there is nothing to hit with the hammer anymore and I still couldn't push it off. I took a punch the same size as the hole in the floor plate, inserted it into the hole and hammered on the punch to move the plate past the back of the magazine. At that point I could push it the rest of the way off. Once the plate was off. I could see why it was still hard to move the plate once it was even with the back of the magazine. The end of the back side of the magazine sticks up a little higher that the rest of the bottom of the magazine. I guess it is that way to wedge the plate on the magazine to keep it tight. Once I hammered the plate past that lip, I was able to push the plate the rest of the way off the magazine with my thumb. I then pushed the plate on and off the magazine a few times, without the spring and follower in the magazine, to help loosen it up. I can now remove and install the plate without the use of the hammer.

E. J.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the replies. Ejc, now that I know the TCP mags are generally stiff to get apart, but that the floorplates do move when given enough incentive. I'll use your method of moving the plates on and off a few times without springs and followers to smooth the process up.

And brojohn, thanks for helping me to know how the magazines are put together (before I get mine apart).

Have a great evening all.
    Last edited by magna98; 01-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Links