Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus TCP 738

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus TCP 738

I have the opportunity to purchase a slightly-used SS model with both mags and carry-pouch for approx $175.00. What is the likelihood of encountering a problem with these guns, in terms of reliability, etc? Do these generally, run, pretty well? Thanks, in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had mine for about 3 months and haven't had a problem. I have a "B" serial number and read they have a redesigned mag that makes them run better. Not sure if that matters, but for that price you should take a chance. I paid $275 for mine... It's a sweet little pistol. I love my TCP!
    Taurus TCP
    Taurus PT 908 Stainless

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I also bought mine a B serial # for 275.00 I would ask the seller if they had any problems with it since its a hundred or so dollars off. From what iv read most of the problems were with the A serial #'s. Either way I think I would buy it and if it did have problems, just send it in for repair on the lifetime warranty.
    USAF, AD
    2004-Present

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17241 times
    $175.00 is a fair price for a nice used PT738.

I bought mine new about 16 months ago and it has performed flawlessly until this past Saturday when the slide began locking back after every shot. I'll be contacting Taurus about this after the Memorial Day weekend.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    I would get one for $175. I paid $300 for mine a year ago. It has over 450 rounds thru it with no problems.

Member #
    Liked
    2574 times
    It has a life time warranty, use it. Take it apart and inspect every part for damage, clean it, then go to the range. If you encounter any problems, send it back. Turn around is quite good at the moment. If everything is OK, you got a great little deal. There are plenty of threads (check the gunsmithing and 700 series stickies) on improving the reliability of the 738, without voiding your warranty, if you feel handy. I know I seem to carry my 738 more than any of my other other pistols and it goes on every trip to the range.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    grab it quickly! they're great
    doug

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Sounds like a great deal as long as you are mentally prepared to send it back for service. No way of knowing without shooting a few boxes thru it. Some people have no concerns with warranty work, while other people assume the product is lesser quality if it needs attention. IMO, Taurus will make the pistol "right".

I paid $321 out the door last year for mine (with 60 days of free range time).

I nearly quit carrying my Glock 26 since picking up the TCP.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    They are terrible guns you will hate it.

In fact, please PM the name and address of the guy who is selling it for $175 so I can give him a piece of my mind.

Just kidding, they are great guns. The lifetime warranty takes a lot of the fear out of buying it. Once they get smoothed out they are very accurate and reliable for pocket guns.

Member #
    Liked
    5567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlh1 View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase a slightly-used SS model with both mags and carry-pouch for approx $175.00. What is the likelihood of encountering a problem with these guns, in terms of reliability, etc? Do these generally, run, pretty well? Thanks, in advance.
    well many times the problems are shooter related, and ther have been a few problems with the 738 as it was a new design.
    the answer to all your questiosn is to take the weapon out with a box of 380 FMJ and run them through the gun before buying it.
    IF the seller and the gun are right the seller should have no problems with this, and you will find out if the gun works for YOU, if you have probelms shooting the gun ask the owner to run a few mags through it and see how it works for him.
    that what i would do personally.
    A new 738 Blue sales for about 249 here, stainless in the 269-279 range.
    so 175 is a good deal, but be aware about "if its to good to be true"!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links